“Pretty decent for the price - especially for extended stay- I'm coming back” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Super 8 Tyler

Save Saved
You added Super 8 Tyler to your Saves list
Super 8 Tyler
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   2616 North-West Loop 323 North, Tyler, TX 75702   |
Ranked #14 of 32 hotels in Tyler
Texas
“Pretty decent for the price - especially for extended stay- I'm coming back”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2009

I stayed at the Super 8 when business brought me to Tyler from late December 2008 thru the end of April 2009, as did another 8 or 10 of our employees. The rooms are larger, and cleaned daily instead of weekly or bi-weekly as is done at most of the extended stay type hotels. I received very good , friendly service during my 4 month stay and just made reservations to return in June for another 2 months or so. The rooms only have a small refrigerator and microwave, so I ate out a lot. I highly recommend the Jumbo Seafood restaurant located nearby. It is cheap and very good!

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business

104 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Beutiful Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2007

Nice Rooms. Very friendly service.
Wireless Internet - Yes
After staying at a dirty Days Inn, this motel was like a dream. We got in late (10:30 or 11:00 PM), and the gal at the desk (Linda) treated us like family. She knew all about the college where our daughter was graduating, and drew us helpful directions. It was pleasant coming into there after a long drive.
The non-smoking room was nice, but the love seat in the room smelled a little like smoke, and there was a cigarette butt in the door jam. It looks like people would stand outside the room with the door open and smoke.
For those with Multiple Chemical Sensitivity (MCS): The outdoor pool is surrounded by metal fence, which is surrounded by the Hotel rooms circling the pool area. The inside rooms face the pool, and the outside rooms face the parking lot. If chlorine smell affects you, request outside room. Also, if you’re like us and don’t want to pack heavy luggage upstairs, request a downstairs room that faces the parking lot. I noted also there were some empty beer bottles in the parking lot, which were gone in the morning. Somebody at the hotel obviously pays attention to the parking lot (unlike the Days Inn we were at the day before).
The breakfast nook had Waffle machines, bagels & cream cheese, toast, muffins, jam, coffee, liquid creamer, orange/apple juice, 4 kinds of cereal, non-fat, 2%, & whole milk.

• Liked — Friendly Service
  • Disliked — Non-Smoking room had smoke smell
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2007

My husband and I were celebrating his birthday in Tyler and opted to stay at the Wingate Inn as we have stayed in one in another city and were quite pleased. Well, sad to say, not so this time.

The check-in took much longer than necessary even with my confirmation #. The room was not what we had reserved at all - had requested non-smoking, non-handicap suite. Upon entering the room, it was apparent it was, or had been, a smoking room. There were numrous cigarette burns on the carpet as well as stains on the carpet from what looked like spilled red juice of some sort and looked as if no attempt had been made to clean the spill. The room also had handicapped ammenties, which we were able to overlook, but the smoke smell was bad (plus at check-in, I signed a statement that we would "not smoke").

Additionally, we had a problem getting the wireless internet to work and neither gentlemen at the front desk had any "hints" for us on same.

After being there a while, we went downstairs to get some coffee, etc. only to find the machines at the "breakfast area" were out of coffee, hot chocolate, juices.

When we were ready to retire for the evening, I decided to sit on the sofa in the suite and watch t.v. The sofa was dirty feeling and you could see grease spots on same. Upon turning down the covers for bed, I noticed cigarette burns on the blanket and the bedspread. The pillowcases felt as though they had been starched and were rough to the touch; the bed was much harder than any I have ever slept in and made for an uncomfortable night.

Next morning's "continental breakfast" left a lot to be desired also. One look at it (what there was of it) and we left (plus, again no coffee).

Upon check-out, discovered that we had been charged the wrong room rate, but the gentleman behind the desk was quite friendly and made the adjustment with an apology.

Needless to say, will not stay at this particular hotel again.

• Liked — Closeness to restaurants
  • Disliked — The room & "continental breakfast area"
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2005

As evacuees of Hurricane Rita, we had reservations at Super 8 in Tyler before the storm hit. As the days progressed we were informed that BMT was not letting any residents in due to the damage so we had to stay longer at the hotel than we originally expected.

This Super 8 has a weekly rate which is $270.00. We stayed 8 days until the budget was zapped. We were told that since we did not make reservations in advanced for the 8 days, nor did we pay in advance for that time - that we would HAVE to pay the daily rate. $500.00 is the amount we were forced to pay.

When I explained to the owners that we were evacuees (with children!) and that this would really zap ALL of our savings she told me that we could stay in a shelter "for FREE!" and get "FREE FOOD" at the shelters!! (Like she was doing us a favor.) Our home was inhabitable. I asked her if she was a mother - or even if she was HUMAN. Why someone would do this to a fellow Texan during a crisis is beyond me.

When I called "corporate" to complain - they said that due to the fact that this was an independently owned franchise, I would have to talk to this hotel personally. I DID. Both the husband and wife (owners) stood fast to their decision.

In a time when people should be coming together, our family was faced with rudeness and a hotel that clearly was taking advantage of "the fine print."

I highly recommend to AVOID THEM! Tyler has MANY other wonderful hotels with truly kind and caring people. Give THEM your business! As a mother of four children I truly never thought we would be in this situation. It could be YOU next time. I feel we need to show this hotel that this behavior is not acceptable. This nation needs to pull together, not kick each other when we are down.

Thank you.

• Stayed September 2005
Baytown, Tx
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2005

After suffering the hardships of the hurricane Rita evacuation, and arriving at Tyler Super 8. We were made to feel as welcome and appreciated guests as at any hotel I have stayed at in the past.

The staff and management of the Super 8 hotel went out of their way to make us forget all the problems we had endured on the evacuation from Baytown to Tyler. They worked with us on extra rooms, and extended nights. The cleanliness of the rooms and continental breakfast service was as good as any hotel I've stayed in, and better than most.

I will highly recommend the Tyler Super 8 to anybody I know or talk to that will be traveling to Tyler, TX. I want to thank the staff and management for making my family's stay as relaxing and stress free as they did.

Randy J. Cooper

• Stayed September 2005, traveled on business

Been to Super 8 Tyler? Share your experiences!