“DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Country Getaway

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tyler
Country Getaway
5353 CR1185, Tyler, TX 75704   |
Ranked #29 of 32 hotels in Tyler
texas
“DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

I'm not sure where to begin... I never write reviews but I wanted to share my experience so that maybe I could save someone from such a horrible experience. I unfortunately did not see this website before booking a weekend getaway at Country Getaway in Tyler TX. Their website, http://www.countrygetaway.net, is VERY misleading.

My husband and I wanted one last quiet peaceful vacation together (I am 7 months pregnant with our first child). This turned out to be a disaster. The manager's name is May. She sounds nice on the phone and books your reservation with a credit card but says that payment is ONLY accepted as cash. The receipt she gives you is hand written and she doesn't charge taxes or anything. Seemed a little odd but I thought it would be ok. When arriving at the Ranch House, I was almost in shock at how different it was from the website.

First of all, there is a creepy old guy who lives across a small field from the ranch house who stands and stares at you. Even from inside I could see him just staring at us. Very uncomfortable. Also, you do not get a key. So you can't lock the doors if you leave. The ranch house is really just an old house that is dusty, has very very outdated everything, mousetraps under the cabinets, and horrible horrible stains all over the carpets. It also smells of mold. My great grandmothers house is far more comfortable and updated that this poor excuse for a vacation cabin. There are creepy decorations all over the house too. In the bedroom closet, there is a deer head laying on the floor. In the living room, there is a duck with its skin torn off of it on the shelf. There is also a coyotes face (looks like a mask) on the bedroom night stand. Dust everywhere! And did I mention that the carpets are soo stained that it looks like a murder took place?! The bathrooms are also disgusting and the bedding smells like death. Also, the hot tub doesn't work. May will tell you that it just recently stopped working and someone is supposed to come fix it but what she means (from reading all of the other reviews) is that it has never worked and they keep it there so that they can have that nice little picture of it on their website. May will also ask what you would like for breakfast the next morning... which consists of her cooking it and bringing it to you. Not exactly what I had expected but we figured it wouldn't be that bad.

Now this is my own fault. We didn't do a walk thru before we paid. We had just driven 2 hours to get there and I was exhausted so I paid her so that we could get started with our relaxing vacation. I discovered how terrible it was after she had left. We thought we would just stay one night since we were too tired to travel. It wasn't til about 10 that night that we decided to leave. I know this sounds dramatic but my husband and I aren't really scared of many things but this place was one of them. You have no cell phone service, its pitch black outside (outdoor lights didn't work), and the place is kind of in the middle of the woods. We just started getting uncomfortable feelings that this is exactly how horror movies begin. We paid in cash, no one from our family knew exactly where we were, and there is a door to outside in the bedroom. We ended up leaving that night and driving to Tyler to get a motel.

I called May the next morning and let her know that we did not need the breakfast and asked about a refund (this place cost $200 a night). She said that she would mail me a check the next day for one of the nights. $200 was a fair refund to me since we had stayed til midnight for one of those nights.

It has now been 6 weeks since this horrible experience and I still haven't received a refund. I've called her many many times. It says her voicemail is full so I can't leave a message. The times I have talked to her, she told me she just dropped the check in the mail and I'll have it in a few days. She then avoids my calls. I have gotten her to answer by calling from a different phone number where she then makes up dumb excuses. She literally told me they were experiencing bad weather and that is probably why I haven't gotten the check yet. I didn't even really know how to respond to that. She is the worst manager I have ever dealt with.

I did not see what the honeymoon suite looked like from the inside, but the outside was just as horrible as the ranch house. I can't imagine it was any better as far as furnishings go.

Please don't fall for this scam like we did. It cost us a lot of money, time, and frustration.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

13 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Lincoln, Nebraska
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

her i believe name was may.she try to act like is she helpful but she just was being noisy and wanting a tip every thing she did.she made us feel very uncomfortable..supposed to be honeymoon cottage.but manager would not leave us alone.because of her we will not return.

Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Dike, Texas, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012

This was the worst place to spend our anniversary. The place was a dump and the food was nasty. The people lingered around when not wanted. Our credit card was over charged and we have yet to get our money back 4 months later. A friend of mine told us not to stay but the web pages looked so nice. Seeing is Believing... and believe us... RUN!!!!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Whitehouse, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

The web page is deceiving ..to say the least. I was going to rent this place for my girlfriend and I anniversary.. Not happening, she was afraid to stay the night. Starting with the outside... The whole place looked like a run down trailer park. Siding of the room we were suppose to stay in was falling off.. The inside had stained dirty carpet, mold around the tub, the mattress... I have a better mattress for my dog to sleep on. The furniture was stained all over, and dirty... this place is an absolute DUMP!! I called the manager and told them I would not be staying there that night.

Room Tip: Do not rent here!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Cypress, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

This place promised seclusion, fully equipped kitchen, and hot tub. We got there - no hot water, no kitchen equipment, no oven, and the curtains (on PVC pipe) fell off the wall. To top it off, there was some guy in the next room playing guitar. Couldn't cook dinner - no utensils. Hot tub was all apart and being worked on, and some distance away - not as portrayed. Smelled funny. And on Sunday morning the lady came and, completely uninvited, decided to have breakfast with us. ! She was nice, but she imposed herself on us. Stained carpets rounded out the whole stay. Did I mention the broken bed?? This was supposed to be a romantic, secluded get away, and it was closer to a scene from Deliverance. Photos on web site photoshopped to the max. Happy to answer any questions.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
AUSTIN TEXAS
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2009

This was shown and advertized as a very nice place, website and the owner were so so false. It was horrible ! EVERYTHING ! The cost, the accomendations,the service,the grounds,the owner had a excuse for it all. The bed smelled,the floors were dirty,bathroom was like a outhouse smelled,cobwebs everywhere,ranch house for maybe the help? And the boats looked shipwrecked . And we were not even offered a discount. word will spread and they need be shut down for false advertizing . RIPPPPP OFFFFFF !

• Stayed May 2009
Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2009

This was undoubtedly the worse place I've ever stayed. The rug in our bedroom looked like it hadn't been vacuumed in weeks. The chair and ottoman had old, stained cushions. The sheets were dingy. In the bath, the tub and toilet were dirty. I actually cleaned the toilet myself before I would use it. There were exposed wires everywhere. The patio was was littered with broken flower pots and worn-out patio furniture. A fountain wasn't working. Lakeside, the canoes and paddle boats had seen better days. Everywhere you looked there was broken lawn furniture or furniture missing cushions. In the morning, the owner couldn't even find coffee cups or creamer. In between wandering the grounds with the hired help and running to her house for items, we were finally served a concoction of runny eggs and suspicious-smelling ham. Biscuits were late coming because the owner "forgot" to put them in the oven. The place was so bad we left a day early as did another couple. We couldn't wait to get away from the Country Getaway - fast! The place desperately needs a makeover and professional management.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Country Getaway? Share your experiences!