I booked this hotel because the pictures online looked decent, and it was the lowest price around. (besides motel-6). It was 20 minutes from the University of Tyler, where we were attending a function, so rather far. When we arrived to check-in, the front desk lady was not friendly at all—just rude. She gave us our room key and directed us to the room. When we pulled up to the room, (after driving around an entire dilapidated building, with broken windows, and many other rooms with trashed/torn drapes), two men who appear to live there permanently were hanging over the rail over our room watching us. The men were shirtless, and looked like drug dealers. While I didn't like the looks of it, we put our bags in the room and left for the afternoon. Our room was a non-smoking room, but reeked heavily of smoke! When we came back later, first we were approached by a panhandler as I was getting out of my car. Then, the same men who were hanging off the rail earlier, were there. The front desk lady was petting somebody's puppy who was lying in the parking lot. The puppy owner scooped up the dog and drove off, and the front desk lady ran back to the lobby. A lady upstairs started screaming at her toddler, cussing. My 8-year old son was scared to death, and he refused to come out of the car. He hid in the back, under the seat and begged to go elsewhere to stay. Neither of us felt safe, so we drove away and found a different place to stay at (even though this was totally paid for)! Sadly, the room did look updated inside...but we would not have slept at all, fearing for our safety, and wondering if our car would be broken into. This place is disgusting, and appears to be habitated by jobless local thugs. Do not stay here!
- Also Known As:
- Howard Johnson Tyler Hotel Tyler
- Howard Johnson Tyler Hotel
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- conveniently located at the intersection of US-69 North and we are outside Loop 323, just five miles from the Tyler Pounds Regional Airport and offers easy access to downtown Tyler. we are a newly renovated property with brand new beds, furniture, and 32inch flat screen tv. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Priceline, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Venere and Otel so you can book your Travelodge Tyler TX reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.