“Great Value and Great Looks but Due for Maintenance Checkup” 4 of 5 stars

12 Oaks Motor Hotel
1.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3100 W Northwest Loop 323, Tyler, TX 75702   |
Ranked #14 of 32 hotels in Tyler
Albuquerque
“Great Value and Great Looks but Due for Maintenance Checkup”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

My husband and I stayed only one night at this hotel on Oct 14, 2013. We were on our way home from the cruise trip at Port of New Orleans.

Elegant from the outside, modern (marble like countertops: both sink and dresser), spacious, clean and smell clean inside. Our room was non-smoking and had a king size bed with a coffee maker, microwave and a mini-fridge. Compared to other hotels: great rate or the best rate per night you can ever get for the quality of the room.

However, the down side is we discovered two flies sitting on our pillows. We spent lots of time trying to chase them out of the room and I later spotted a bug on the light fixture in the bathroom which I'm sure was a cockroach. Also, the handle of the shower/bath water faucet fell off into our hands when we first turned it on, and we had to push it back in for it to stay on. That made it hard to know what position was hot or cold water. And if that weren't enough, only some water came out from the shower head and the rest from the faucet which made it longer for the water to drain from the bathtub. We either had water came up way above our ankle level or constantly turned it off and turned it back on again to finish the shower.

I made the first complaint later on at night before bed. A young front desk lady could only say sorry. The next morning at 8 a.m. when we checked out, I made another complaint to another front desk lady who also made an apology, thanked me for letting her know about the problems and said that she would have someone check the shower faucet.

Even though when I reserved the room at this hotel without knowing that the phone number, 800-992-2694, I got off from an On-line reservation wasn't the hotel reservation number, my husband and I felt that we should have at least been credited or refunded for some of the charge we paid for the room.

For the looks of the hotel and the quality of the hotel room and the great rate, this hotel could have been the best of all hotels you could ever find if they would have thoroughly checked to make sure that everything is working properly and would have maintained it.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

12 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Bellaire, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

I stayed two nights at the 12 Oaks Hotel in October 2013. I was in Tyler alone to run in the Tyler Rose Marathon and needed an inexpensive, comfortable place to stay. I chose this hotel after reading user reviews. This hotel is a great value for someone not looking for lots of luxury and amenities. It's an older motel/hotel but has a recent renovation and is very attractive with nice landscaping. The buildings form a ring with free, safe parking on the interior of the grounds. There is a very small pool and the lobby is small (but nicely decorated). There is no restaurant, no bar, no continental breakfast. There was a microwave, mini-fridge and coffee maker in the room but no alarm clock, no artwork, no ballpoint pen and no pad of paper. Free Wi-Fi in the room as well as in public areas, nice flat screen TV, very comfortable bed (but lumpy pillows) and good water pressure. Neat little charging station with outlets on the nightstand for charging your phone, iPad, Nook, Kindle, etc. The room was clean and comfortable. The pictures I have seen are very accurate representations of the room. I see people commenting on the "hardwood floors" but they are not hardwood. They are linoleum flooring that look very much like hardwood and even have some texture to them. They look great and undoubtedly are cleaner than carpet. I had problems connecting to the Wi-Fi and the staff was very helpful and responsive in assisting me. Easy access location on the Loop close to the Caldwell Zoo, the Tyler Rose Garden, convenience stores, Wal-Mart, Denny's and lots of fast food.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013 via mobile

Ok here's the TRUTH! The office was tiny and dingy. The room was awesome! The roomkeepers didn't know English, so no extra towles. They didn't have a non smoking room available. Internet signal was not strong enough, so no wifi! And finally, they didn't charge my card till two weeks later, and it screwed my back account up! I stayed 09-19-13 till 09-21-13

• Stayed September 2013
Dearborn, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

I loved the hardwood flooring in the room. It was all very clean and smelled cleaned I loved the attention to detail such as the swan towels on the bed and the fan towels. Beds were comfy and clean. Rooms are spacious. Great hotel fora cheap rate!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Recently renovated, very clean. Staff was very friendly. A little more attention to detail would be nice. Our coffee pot was too small for the coffee maker so it didn't work. Easy to get to all surrounding highways and into town. Staff was very willing to help us with locating downtown and a good restaurant.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

I've stayed in numerous chain hotel/motels in Tyler and for the price none can compare with this one. It has been remodeled so some of the original infrastructure is apparent, but the upgrades are very good. I liked best -- the vinyl plank hardwood flooring instead of carpet because you can tell they're clean. Had no concerns about my kids and grand-kid roaming around the floors. Beds were comfortable and linens clean, as was the bathroom. TVs are new flatscreen, pool was well maintained. Only downside is location, north side of town but only a 10 minute drive from mall and dining so not a deal breaker.

Room Tip: Rooms over the pool if you have kids.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Lufkin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Basic clean hotel with very friendly staff at a great price. I have stayed in hotels that cost a lot more that were not as good or as comparable. Now if you want fancy this is not for you, but if you want economical and want to spend your hard earned bucks on other things this is the place for you. Easy to locate on the north west loop. Close to amenities. I will absolutely stay here again.

I liked the staff who were very friendly

Room Tip: I was on the bottom floor and did not hear any noise. I did not use the swimming pool and dont know...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Been to 12 Oaks Motor Hotel? Share your experiences!