“Worth the trouble finding” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #1 of 34 Hotels in Tyler
Sumter, South Carolina
“Worth the trouble finding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2009

This new hotel is a little challenging to find, but well worth the extra effort. Spotless, well-managed and run, quiet, spacious, close to many restaurants, couldn't have been better!
Check-in was pleasant due to the friendly, polite, well-trained staff. They went out of their way to be welcoming and helpful to me. The lobby is spacious and comfortable for a mid-range chain hotel.
My room, too, was spacious. I particularly appreciated the large bathroom, as most mid-level hotels have tiny bathrooms. Towels were typically scratchy and smallish. The room surprisingly offered a 42" plasma TV on the wall. The king bed was comfortable, but the pillows were too soft and only one filler, probably polyester.
The free, wired, high-speed internet worked well and never bogged down.
Their free breakfast is generous and well-stocked. Hot items included scrambled eggs, biscuits, gravy, sausage, and bacon. The muffins were fresh-made.
Overall, a very impressive hotel for a reasonable price. Very good value!

• Liked — Spotless, good value, well-run
  • Disliked — Challenging to find
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Austin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2009

The Sleep Inn and Suites facility is new, sparkling clean, and very nice. The staff, including Marc, Scott and Steve, are amazing!

One of the reasons I booked this hotel is that they offered a free shuttle to and from the airport. When I arrived, their shuttle driver was unavailable, so they sent a taxi for me, and took care of the fare.

And in the morning, the shuttle driver dropped me off downtown for my meeting. I was completely wow-ed by the level of service and friendliness of the staff.

On top of that, the room was very comfortable, large, with a refrigerator and microwave. In the lobby, they have fresh coffee and tea anytime. The breakfast was delicious. Very fresh scrambled eggs and bacon, along with biscuits and fresh fruit (apples and bananas). (There were also waffles and other things that I did not try.)

The rooms come with free wireless internet access.

The shower was excellent; the bathrooms are tile and polished granite, which is so nice.

I recommend the Sleep Inn and Suites to anyone!

• Liked — Staff helpfulness
  • Disliked — location--Tyler is very spread out
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
houston, tx
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2009

We had reservations for several rooms to stay two nights so we could visit family in the area. This is one of the newest hotels in Tyler, and is close to the Comfort Suties and Candlewood Inn where we have stayed before.

The first night was great, our rooms were very clean, the hotel is well lit and in a part of town that seems secure. It is a non smoking hotel, which is nice for people that have asthma. The local dining and shopping opportunities are pleniful. They assigned our rooms together for convience, that was appreciated!

Upon checking in we were greeted by Curtis, and he told us to please let him know if we needed anything at all. All together our family had 11 rooms booked, so it was a bit confusing, yet they handled it with ease. Everyone got the room they requested, and the rates were reasonable. Even the late check in arrivals were handled quickly, which is so nice when you have driven for hours and are exhausted!

Then the next night our stay was ruined by a bunch of immature idiots that were part of a "wedding party." It was ridiculous, I have seen better trained animals. They were running in the halls and slamming doors. They had open bottles of liquor and were smoking pot...of course we were not the only ones to complain. The staff couldn't have been more apologetic, the police were called and we finally got to sleep around 3 a.m.

With the exception of that experience I must add that breakfast buffet is top notch; fresh eggs, bacon, gravy and biscuits, cereal, fruit, juice, milk, coffee; quite a selection. They serve from 6-10 and the food is kept fresh and the area clean. The man who runs the buffet is right there... really a change of pace from some hotels who place a few items out on a tray and call it a buffet.

My family will certainly stay there again, as I feel that this could have happened at any hotel.... it was certainly no fault of the staff!

• Liked — staff and location
  • Disliked — some guest were smoking - is NON smoking facility
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2008

I stayed at this hotel on Oct. 18-19 while attending a training seminar. Photos and descriptions from earlier reviewers are accurate - this is a new property, and the surrounding area consists of other hotels and one- and two-story office buildings in very good condition. No shady characters hanging about.

Check-in with the pleasant front-desk clerk was smooth. Aside from the lobby entrance, there were two key card-controlled doors on the east and west sides of the building. The two elevators were in the middle of the building. Ice machines and soft-drink vending machines are located next to the elevators on each floor.

I had a non-smoking room with a king-size bed on the second floor. The room was very clean, and was equipped with a mini-refrigerator and a microwave oven. The bathroom and walk-in shower were spotless. However, don't be startled by the jet-engine whooshing when you flush the high-efficiency toilet.

The bed was very comfortable, and the wide-screen plasma TV was an added bonus. No noises disturbed my sleep.

The complimentary breakfast is served from 6 - 10 a.m. as described earlier - a great way to start the day.

An excellent place, and I will stay here again when visiting Tyler.

• Liked — Cleanliness, safe location, good value for the price.
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
Dalton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2008

We were in Tyler for a medical appointment and didn't rent a car. The hotel offers free shuttle service to and from the airport and we were surprised to discover that they also provided shuttle service to and from restaurants and shopping areas that were within a few miles of the hotel. There were many restaurants and the hotel staff gave us good tips on which to choose. Free self serve breakfast is offered each morning from 6 to 10am and it consists of "make your own waffles", cold cereals and instant oatmeal, scrambled eggs, bacon or sausage, doughnuts, bagels, cream cheese, fruit, yogurt, pastries, coffee and juices. Coffee is available 24/7. The staff was helpful and always pleasant. The room was average in size with a large flat screen tv. The place is only a few months old so everything is new and comfortable. Would definitely stay there if we ever have reason to return to Tyler.

• Liked — Great breakfast and free shuttle
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
Arkadelphia,AR
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2008

This hotel is new. I'm not sure exactly when they opened, but I am so happy that I came across it when booking online. From the moment we walked into the hotel, our experience was wonderful. It smelled so fresh and clean. I'm sure that has something to do with the fact that it's new. The lobby was very comfortable and beautifully decorated. There is a flat screen televeision in the lobby as well. There is a fitness room, which I didn't use, but it did have a treadmill and a couple of other exercise machines that looked new and easy to use as well. The room was amazing. I didn't take my camera or I would definitely have taken pictures. The bed is soooo comfortable with plenty of extra pillows. I think there were six on our king size bed. There was a comfortable chair in the room with a very nice ottoman. The desk was huge if you needed to do any kind of work. There was a 32" flat screen television with a good selection of On Demand TV and pay per view movies. The wireless internet signal was good and had no problem staying connected. Our room was a shower only room, but there were other rooms with bathtubs. I am glad we were in a shower only room because the shower was beautiful. It was nothing like any shower I have ever seen in a hotel. ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL!!! I wanted to stay in the shower all night, but I also couldn't wait to get into that big comfortable bed. The room had a mini frig that worked very well, microwave, coffee pot, iron and ironing board, and hair dryer. There were plenty of towels and complimentary bottles of shampoo,conditioner, and lotion. The pool area was very nice as well. There was a really cool light in the pool that changed colors from a brilliant blue, to purple, and then to green. As the light changed, the color of the water reflected the color change. It was very pretty. I didn't swim, but I enjoyed relaxing and watching the lights change as my daughter swam. the pool area was very clean and the lounges were very comfortable. They had a little area to the side of the pool with plenty of clean towels for pool use. There was also a really unique touch added to the pool area. It was a structure with three lions' heads with water coming out of their mouths. It was really pretty. The entire hotel is smoke free, which is wonderful, because the smell of the hotel was SO CLEAN and fresh. There was a nice smoking area at the end of the hall on the first floor. You walked out the door and there were a couple of ashtrays and nice benches to use. The door was locked when exiting , and it had a place to use your room key to unlock it and reenter. I only used the area once during my two nights there. I used it at night,and it was very quiet and peaceful. The hotel is located down a street that was nice and quiet, and it was really close to the shopping areas and restaraunts. The breakfast was really delicious. I don't really know what the entire selection of food was, but I know there were eggs, bacon, waffles, apple and orange juice. My daughter went and brought some back to the room. I don't think she was supposed to bring it out of the breakfast area, but she did anyway. Her waffle was really good, and the eggs and bacon she brought to me were delicious too. The orange juice was the best I have tasted from a hotel's free breakfast. The staff were all very friendly and professional. The hotel was very busy because of Hurricane Gustav and the extra people from that, but they all handled everything wonderfully! The parking area is located right next to the hotel so I felt very secure, even entering the hotel to check in at 4 A.M. with my daughter. There seemed to be sufficient parking because we were able to park close, and as I said, we checked in at 4 A.M. while the hotel was already very full. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone staying in this area!!! I will be going back when the weather cools off some so my daughter and I can go to the flea market in Canton, and I will stay here again even though the flea market is about a 40 minute drive. There are photos on the website that accurately reflect the appearance of the hotel. I wish there were photos there that would show the shower because I really loved it, but I guess you'll have to stay there to see them for yourselves. LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF MY STAY AT THIS HOTEL!!!

• Liked — Appearance
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Sleep Inn & Suites Tyler? Share your experiences!