“Not what I expected..” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in The Woodlands
League City, Texas
“Not what I expected..”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

The outside of the hotel was AMAZING! If I was visiting in the summer with my children it would be a great place for them to play at the pool. And even my husband and I would enjoy a cocktail in the water. However, I was here in the fall 2013 for my anniversary and the room was more than a bit disappointing. Mainly because the outside is so updated and the inside (mainly bedrooms & hallways) were so outdated. Another thing that was funny to me is that they had multiple pieces of furniture and art work my mother had when I was a child (aka old). Overall, it was clean and I still had a great time. I don't think I would pay as much to stay here again.

I will say, they were doing construction for a new building at the time and if it's updated I would 100% pay to stay in THAT building only.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
woodlandsresort, Public Relations Manager at The Woodlands Resort & Conference Center, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
DollCourtney,

Thanks for sharing your feedback with us. As you mentioned we are currently undergoing a $60 million renovation project which will include a new guest room building, new lazy river, new steakhouse and updates to our existing Fairway Pines rooms. We would love to have you and your husband celebrate your anniversary with us again this fall to see all the new we have to offer!

Jasmine Avery

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
Pasadena, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

My wife and I have stayed here many times over probably 35 years. It has been a place to get away from our daily life. Special accommodations have been made for us many times as we enjoyed the peacefulness of the area and our "Cabin" type rooms nestled in the trees by the water. It saddens me to know these structures will be replaced by the end of this year, so we are planning a visit very soon. There have been a few disappointments, but overall would do it all over again. The staff is great and very helpful, The breakfast buffet is really good. If you have not stayed here you have missed out on a great experience. DW

Room Tip: If you want peace and quiet chose a room in one of the lodges. The pool area rooms are noisy
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Don W.,

We are so glad to hear you are planning another stay with us again soon! The Forest Lake lodges will be missed, but know that you will enjoy our new and updated room product in Fairway Pines as well. If there's anything we can do to help prepare for your next stay with us please let us know. Look forward to seeing you again soon.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

I feel like the price we paid for the room was way more than necessary. We did not have any extra commodetities such a refrigerator or microwave, but we still paid $200 a night for a king sized bed and a bathroom. Our room was quite a walk from the main pool and main lobby. Not to mention, all the cash in my wallet was stolen by our house keeper which came as a complete shock, because she was overly friendly and polite. I don't think I could recommend this place to my friends and family. I feel like I got really ripped off.

• Stayed June 2014
woodlandsresort, Public Relations Manager at The Woodlands Resort & Conference Center, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
Snugbug1005,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We apologize that you weren't made aware of our refrigerators and microwaves available upon request. We appreciate you bringing your concerns regarding our house keeping staff to our attention as it is currently being investigated. Please know we take all of our guest’s comments seriously and are always making improvements for the best experience for our guests. We would like to have the opportunity to serve you again.

Nashville, Tennessee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014 via mobile

Have stayed at this resort 3 times this year. First time great. 2nd time. No working cable and wifi. 3rd time. Put me in old room. 381. Smells of mold. They are building a new building. What they do not disclose. Is that you will receive a dated old room based on level of amount paid. Via a corporate travel site or priceline. Better to stay with Hampton or Hilton garden inn for price. At lease you know the room and service standard for price. Disappointed.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
woodlandsresort, Public Relations Manager at The Woodlands Resort & Conference Center, responded to this review, June 26, 2014
Apensor,

We appreciate your feedback and are glad you chose to stay with us for a third visit. Sorry to hear that your stay in Forest Lake wasn't what you had expected. As you mentioned we are building 184 new guest rooms as well as updating our existing Fairway Pines rooms which will all be complete this fall. I would recommend choosing our Fairway Pines rooms which are closer to the Forest Oasis Waterscape for more fun in the sun time during your next visit. If we can help book your reservation directly please let us know.

Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

So I was really hesistant to go on this trip. Previous reviews had left me wanting to tuck my tail and run but I'm glad we went. The drive to The Woodlands was pleasant...why everything is hidden in the Woodlands I will never know but it probably has to do something with the annual budget for most of the families in the area(that far exceeds mine!)

When you drive up you feel like you are in a country club. It's a bit confusing bc you have to check in at one place, park in another and then where you are staying is actually across the street from the parking. I know this seems cumbersome but it is really not bad. Drop your luggage off, let the bellman take it to your room while hubby parks the car. Bellman and golf cart drivers are all very nice. I would have quite a few small bills on hand. We did not have anything smaller than a $20 and forgot to get it broken for tips for the drivers and felt cheap when we didn't tip them but you are kinda forced by the resort to use them so it's a catch 22.

Food & drinks: When you get there, put yourself in the right mind set. You are at a resort. Resorts are expensive. Thus said, food and beverages are an appropriate price for resort food. We ate at the poolside cafe and at the main dining room. Both were yummy and good enough value for the price since we didn't have to trek back to our cars and venture out into town for food. If you do venture out, the Woodlands Mall area is about 5 minutes away with a ton of dining options.

Pool Area: Really awesome. The lazy river will be ready in July...so this probably really means in August. We were originally told it would be ready in May when we booked our family reunion here last fall. Take it for what it is. There is a wading pool for babies. A small area with bubblers/sprays and then a big recreation pool with two VERY FAST! slides that are awesome! Be careful on the slides. I would say 3 out of our 5 participants walked away injured in some way. There is also a more laid back pool that has a hot tub in the middle. The hot tub was REALLY HOT and quite delightful! There is a constant circulation of waitstaff to take food and drink orders. You can't take coolers out to the pool but there is alway someone to quickly get you something. Staff also walk around with cool towels, and frozen fruit to help you stave off the Texas heat. Some of the lounge areas also have water misters to keep you nice and cool. We didn't really encounter any bugs unless there was food around and the flies came. I was shocked that we weren't attacked by mosquitoes but there weren't any where we were.

Kids Activities: If you have little ones ages 3-10, there are a ton of planned daily activities for them from sunup to sundown Friday-Sunday in the summer. No need for boredom for sure.

Hotel Room: So for $220 a night(we booked back in Sept. 2013 and got a group rate) I would expect a little more. It was really just a basic hotel room. The bathroom is quite nicely appointed with a frameless shower and a rainhead but otherwise....meh? The bed was nice but not the most comfortable I've ever slept on. Everything was new and nice and recently had been redone which was pleasant. We had requested a microwave and min fridge in our room and both were waiting for us. There are older rooms on the property but for about $40 more a night splurge and stay in the newer rooms near the pools. Note: If you get a room on one of the higher floors, there is only one elevator and a couple of staircases so make sure you plan your route.

WALKING: This is a big resort. Don't try to wear any shoes that are too cute or uncomfortable bc you will be walking like mad. This place is HUGE and it doesn't seem like there is any convenient way to get from point A to B. Thank God for the golf cart drivers bc there is no way I could have hiked that trek with a toddler and baby in tow!

Nature: The resort is set in a very nature filled setting. There is a really neat bridge near the main dining room that overlooks a little pond/lake feature on both sides. We watch birds and snakes play in the water. Lots of birds. We even saw some tree frogs. Quite pleasant. If you want to partake in the nature activities and have little ones, bring a stroller. We forgot ours and that limited our options.

As part of our family reunion we decided to have a catered lunch in a hospitality room in our building. Let me just say that it totally exceeded my expectations. We worked with Penny H. to set up the lunch and it was quite easy. Most of it done on emails going back and forth. The day of the event I was pleasantly surprised with a very large room with ample seating, 3 TVs(to watch the World Cup!), a pool table and a kitchenette. We also had an attendant, Ulises, on hand while we had our meal. He was very efficient and friendly and an obvious assest to the hotel.

Staff: Everyone we encountered was exceptionally nice and helpful. I like it when I go somewhere and end up spending a lot of money but are surrounded by staff that want to please the guest. This is how it is supposed to work. Never once on our weekend getaway did I encounter a sour staff memeber or anyone not willing to help.

So if you are on the fence like I was, bite the bullet and brave the construction. It wasn't really noticeable at all while we were there. It looks like they are adding some really nice amenities too. It was weird that the resort didn't offer a price break or credit or something since the lazy river wasn't done by the time they said it would be for our group. It was a selling point when we decided to select the resort.

Room Tip: Rooms near the pool are newer. Spend the extra money so you don't end up with one of the older r...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
ChicadelaPlaya,

So glad to hear what a great time you had celebrating your family reunion with us! Thank you for all the feedback you shared in your review. We are glad you all chose to spend your quality time at our resort. We look forward to you staying with us again soon and enjoying a cruise down our lazy river!

Bacliff, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

After buying tickets for the Boston/Doobie Brothers concert we had to decide on a place to send the night, we choose the woodlands resort and conference center. I was actually impressed with the room It was fairly large and comfortable but for some he breakfast buffet was excellent even
though it was a little hard to find our way to the facility, and the AC was being worked on so it was a little warm but not uncomfortable. The staff that I met was friendly and courteous and more then willing to assist us to the best of their abilities, the shuttle ride to the Cynthia woods Pavilion was comfortable yet we had to wait for a shuttle to return us back which irritated some of the guess, (just a thought, I believe they could purchase a second shuttle bus to help transfer the guest more efficiently to and fro ) they were in the process of constructing a new building which though the construction was a slight inconvenience it didn't bother me (I guess being a Ironworker has it advantages I love to see progress) and the scenery and the sounds of the wildlife at night made it peaceful and romantic over all I had a pleasant stay and will plan on returning next time I go that way

Room Tip: They have several types of suites, packages to choose from we choose the pavilion package which came...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
ironman11111,

So glad to hear you had a great "one nite stand" with us! Thank you for choosing to stay with us and enjoy a fun concert at the pavilion. We have multiple shuttle buses available but they have different routes they are scheduled for on a daily basis. We appreciate your understanding of our construction and look forward to you returning for another romantic night in the future. Hope it won't just be a "one nite stand" next time, but you'll have more time to enjoy all we have to offer!

1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014 via mobile

My wife is 9 months pregnant and the AC at our house broke so needless to say we decided to find a close hotel to our home to stay at until our air conditioner was repaired the next day. Thinking we would try the local resort we have heard so much about we decided to stay there instead of a generic hotel. At check in the staff was very polite and helpful but disaster struck when we walked into our room. I thought we had gotten lost and somehow accidentally walked into a lower end apartment complex. We sat on the couch in amazement, laughed out loud at the ridiculousness of the situation, and after realizing that the room resembled the cabin from the original Friday the 13th we decided we would rather sweat our butts off in our own house than spend the night in that room. Stay away!!! Oh and it smelled like the mix between a nursing home and moth balls in our room....I washed my clothes as soon as I got home!

• Stayed June 2014
Hank C.,

We are sorry to hear your recent visit didn't exceed your expectations. Please know we have two different room products and it sounds like you were in our Forest Lake lodges which will no longer be available after the end of this year. We also have a newer room product surrounding our Forest Oasis Waterscape that you might enjoy more. Our property is currently undergoing a $60 million renovation which will include 184 new guest rooms along with updating our existing Fairway Pines guest rooms. We hope you will choose to stay with us again once our renovation is complete this fall!

Jasmine Avery

Been to The Woodlands Resort & Conference Center? Share your experiences!