“Dated but nice” 4 of 5 stars

Splash into Summer Fun
Ranked #10 of 17 hotels in The Woodlands
“Dated but nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

We stayed in the Gum building which is an older area of the resort. We were attending a gala in the ballroom and spent the night. The room was a nice size and the bed was very comfortable. When we arrived, however, there were wine glasses outside our door and they were still there when we returned from our event later that night. My husband had a problem with gnats in the front bathroom, and I found a dead water bug on the floor of the main bedroom. If you are looking for fancy and updated, then this area of suites is not what you want. Overall, the room was quiet and our stay was a good one. It was still nice to stay the night after our gala instead of making the drive home.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
woodlandsresort, Public Relations Manager at The Woodlands Resort & Conference Center, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Elizabeth B,
I am so pleased to hear you choice to stay with us after your recent gala. Thank you for bringing the housekeeping issues to our attention. I have forwarded your comments along to our Director of Housekeeping and he will be addressing with his staff. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you and your husband.As you may have noticed during your stay. We are in the process of improving our existing room offerings with a $60 million renovation which began in April, 2013. The renovation will include 184 new guestrooms, the refurbishment of our Fairway Pines complex, the addition of a 1,000 foot lazy river and a steakhouse. I hope that we will have to joy of serving you and your husband again soon!

520 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Atlanta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

I wish there was something between average and very good, but it think it was better than average. I stayed in the Fir building, and while it definitely was dated, I thought it was clean and comfortable. If you're looking for luxury and won't be satisfied without granite countertops and the newest fixtures, this place isn't for you. However, the room was very large (it even had an upstairs and downstairs), TVs on both floors, and the a/c was nice and cold. I thought the proximity to golf was great, and thought the breakfast was a great deal that took all of us through lunch each day I was there. The service there was great, too, as was the service in the pro shop and grill above the pro shop. I was there for 2 nights and thought a free round was included for each night, but they said it was only one round per stay. Regardless,they comped all three of us the extra round for the misunderstanding. Very nice! They said they were going through a large scale upgrade, so looking forward to returning and seeing the changes.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Freije,
Thank you for taking time to share your experience with us and others. I am pleased to hear your stay with us was pleasant and you experienced great service and great food. I apologize for the confusion regarding golf, but am glad to hear it was taken care of for you. As you may have noticed during your stay, we are currently undergoing a $60 million renovation which began in April, 2013. The renovation will include 184 new guestrooms, the refurbishment of our Fairway Pines complex, the addition of a 1,000 foot lazy river and a steakhouse. We hope to have the pleasure of serving you again soon.

Syracuse, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

Don't be fooled by their website! I booked this hotel for my wife and kids and left very upset. If you plan on being in a hotel that focuses on service, organization and communication, I'd look elsewhere. If you are only going to play golf, just make a tee time, there are way better options out there. We had several problems during our four day stay. First, we were put in an ancient room that smelled of mold, we had cockroaches in the second room, then we finally moved to a new room by the pool for a charge and it took them three days to clean that third room. Then to top is all off they continued to bill us daily for breakfast although it was comped because of our issues. Lastly, we got locked out of our room at 11:30 PM after the wedding reception with my 6 year old and 9 year old. I had very high hopes for this resort and conference center, but left VERY disappointed and we were surprised how poorly they ran this hotel. On the positive side they have an awesome pool area, it really is great, but they just fall short on almost everything else (and I'm not a complainer).

Room Tip: If you aren't by the pool in the newer area, GO SOMEWHERE ELSE. The older rooms are old, moldy a...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
woodlandsresort, Public Relations Manager at The Woodlands Resort & Conference Center, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Scott N,
I am sorry to hear your stay with us was less than stellar. We take our service very seriously and I am disappointed to hear that our standard high level of service was not what you experienced during your recent stay with us. I have passed along your feedback to our management teams for the appropriate departments so that they can address their individual areas. I assure you we make every effort to provide a safe and clean environment for all of our guests and have procedures in place that are meant to address the challenges that are associated with being located in a natural, wooded area. We truly appreciate you bringing these issues to our attention so that we might have the opportunity to address them. I am sorry to hear our attempt at comping your breakfast to rectify the issues did not go as smoothly as it should have either. I apologize for the experience you and your family had with us and hope that you might possibly give us a second chance in the future. Should you wish to discuss further, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at jasmine.avery@woodlandsresort.com.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

We stayed here 2 years ago on for our anniversary and had a great stay (see my review from 2011) and wanted to try it again. We were not disappointed. Service at the desk was first rate ad very accommodating. They printed out pictures of the views from several rooms until I found just the one I wanted. As before we stayed in the Forest Lake section. These are the older rooms but nicely and comfortably furnished. Very quiet, next to a beautiful lake full of ducks and geese, and in the trees. Recommend second floor facing lake. Hike and bike trail next to the rooms and bikes can be rented at the office for $5/day. Free WiFi now included.

Room Tip: For the view a quiet ask for Forest Lake section, second floor, lake view.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
RayB53,
Happy Anniversary! We feel privileged that you would choose to celebrate such a wonderful occasion with us, not once, but twice. I am so pleased to hear you and your wife enjoyed your stay with us and that our staff went above and beyond to care for you. We hope to see you again real soon!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

We stayed for a long weekend in August. We loved our room, first floor walk out at the pool. The walk out sounds like a great idea until you realize you can't lock it from the outside so you still have to walk through the hotel In a soggy swimsuit.

My kids loved the pools. There is underwater music in the large pool and the kids loved diving and looking at the tiled island and riding the little slide. The movie by the pool was great, they had free bags of popcorn which the kids loved. The also handed out frozen grapes and orange slices during the day. The pool side waiters were great and we enjoyed a nice Sunday brunch by the pool. The only big negative for me was the 2hr wait for a balloon animal, which lasted 5 minutes before it popped...it was my daughters bday, she wanted a balloon she got it.

We never ate in the restaurants so I can't say anything about them. We ate all our meals pool side. The room was really nice, modern and clean. Our check in was great but bell service at check out was less than stellar, I had to walk to the bell stand to get help, after calling and waiting and then I had to walk to my car because they didn't offer a ride...a far different experience than check in which went above and beyond in customer service.

Overall we liked this and will be back for a long weekend again.

Room Tip: We loved our room, first floor walk out at the pool. The walk out sounds like a great idea until yo...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Twogreemandms,
Thank you for taking time to share your experience with us and others. We are so glad to hear your 4 year old had a great birthday with us. Thank you for bringing to our attention the time it took to get a balloon made. We will look at ways to make this go quicker in the future. I have passed along your feedback to our guest services manager regarding the bell stand at check out so that he can address this issue with his staff directly. Thank you for your feedback as it helps us to continually improve our services and amenities. We hope to have the pleasure of serving you and your family again in the future.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

We were going to a concert at the Cynthia Woods Pavillion, so decided to make a weekend gateaway. Check in was quick, it is a little dated then I thought it would be. When I think of resort I think luxury. The rooms were a nice size and most important clean. We took the shuttle to the waterway around 1pm and the shuttle pick us up after the concert. It rained the whole weekend so didnt feel guility about not using the facilities, I bet it is lovely when it is sunny.

Room Tip: Ask for a second floor room
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
woodlandsresort, Public Relations Manager at The Woodlands Resort & Conference Center, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Wilson-Haigh,
Thank you for choosing to stay with us for your recent getaway. As you may have noticed during your stay, we are currently undergoing a $60 million renovation which began in April, 2013. The renovation will include 184 new guestrooms, the refurbishment of our Fairway Pines complex, the addition of a 1,000 foot lazy river and a steakhouse. This improvements will certainly rectify some of your comments. We do hope you will come back and see us when these improvements are complete.

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Lovely accommodation and facilities. Golf, gym, pool - you name it, it's there. Friendly staff and excellent decor. Buffet breakfast was amazing. A huge selection was presented to us. This is a resort and the Woodlands is a short drive away.

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Daniel B,
Thank you for your kind review. I am so glad to hear you enjoyed your time with us. We hope to have the joy of serving you again soon should your travels bring you back to the States.

Jasmine

Been to The Woodlands Resort & Conference Center? Share your experiences!