“Depending on where place, this resort is just okay...” 3 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Bed & Breakfast Package
Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in The Woodlands
San Antonio, Texas
“Depending on where place, this resort is just okay...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

I had a two night meeting at The Woodlands Resort & Conference Center. When getting the link from my company, I clicked it to see where we would be staying. My room was nothing like the photos or videos on their site.

This resort was built in 1974. My room was 39 years old. The walls are thin and the restroom was as small as a confessional. The floor was not level and the room accessories were cheap. The linens were quality, as was the flat screen LCD. I did not have a safe nor did I have a refrigerator. There are no elevators in the "Basal Briar" building, so pack light. My room had an odor, too.

The employees were attentive and professional. Concierge was helpful. They have several golf carts that provide shuttle service around the resort. We did eat in Royal Mile Grille Restaurant and found the selection and pricing to be fair. The service here was tops.

As we waited for a taxi one of the properties shuttle buses returned and I viewed the property photo on the side of the bus. It is similar to the one you'll find on their website showing a massive pools, slides, many lawn chairs, etc. I asked the worker where the picture was taken? He pointed the opposite direction of where I was located. When making your reservation make sure you are clear on where an what you are getting.

I asked some of my colleagues if they would return here with their families, and all of us said, "No." Primarily because this resort is build around golf and conventions. Since this was a business meeting, we were not able to view the resort amenities as if we were on vacationThe facilities in the main building are tops. For our meeting everything provided worked beautifully. The water surrounding the principle building is not pleasant.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
woodlandsresort, Public Relations Manager at The Woodlands Resort & Conference Center, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Fquinter,
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent stay with us. I am sorry to hear you were disappointed with your time with us. I hear your concerns regarding your room. You will be glad to know we are addressing those concerns with a $60 million renovation which began in April, 2013. The renovation will include 184 new guestrooms, the refurbishment of our Fairway Pines complex, the addition of a 1,000 foot lazy river and a steakhouse.

We do offer safety deposit boxes adjacent to our front desk as well as mini-fridges at no charge upon request. I am sorry you were not made aware of these services during your stay.

We do have some wonderful amenities for families, namely the Forest Oasis Waterscape, featuring water slides, pop fountains and family-friendly activities throughout the summer months. I hope that you will reconsider bringing your family back after the renovation and give us a second chance to earn your business.

Once again, thank you for your feedback.

Jasmine

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

My wife had a work trip, and I had the opportunity to go with her. I had no problems occupying my time while she spent the days in her meetings. They have biking and walking trails. I spent a lot of my time walking long periods, which I enjoyed. They also had a very good fitness center that I visited. The golf courses are excellent if you play golf. I asked about the cost of using the driving range, and to my surprise, there was no charge for the use of clubs, balls or cart. The pool areas were great. After my walks, this was a great place to relax. The food, although pricey, was very good. Within a short walking distance there was a Randall's grocery store which had a deli and Starbucks. This is where I got my coffee and some of my meals. There were other restaurants in the vicinity. Yes, I had a very good stay!

JimmyGKentucky,
I am so glad to hear you got to tag along on your wife's work trip and that you enjoyed your time with us so much. It sounds like you had a very relaxing stay. I hope we will have the pleasure of serving you and your wife again in the future.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013 via mobile

Upon arrival i was told that they did not have a reservation, when the GM himself had confirmed it....then came out a fruit basket marked with my name????????? My room was large and in need of a face lift, the shower tap was loose so i did not have hot water. This was eventually fixed after 2 visits of engineering...some staff at the front desk were charming and some downright rude...I would not stay here again!

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Jacquelinem449,
I am sorry to hear about the issues you experienced during your stay. I have passed along your comments to our management to address the issues at the front desk. In regards to the rooms, we are currently undergoing a $60 million renovation which began in April, 2013. The renovation will include 184 new guestrooms, the refurbishment of our Fairway Pines complex, the addition of a 1,000 foot lazy river and a steakhouse. With these improvements we hope to have the opportunity to have you as our guest once again.

Sugar Land
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Booked a forest view room using the Pavilion Package. Staff super friendly and professional. Restaurant not bad for dinner but great for breakfast. Pretty decent bar as well. Transportation to and from the Woodlands Pavilion was provided. Drivers were great and on time, both before and after the concert. The room and the building that housed it was the reason for three stars. When selecting the Pavilion Package, there is no option to pick your room. The web site states that you will receive transportation, breakfast and a "delux room". The delux room turned out to be, essentially a motel room....complete with parking right outside. This was not what I expected after looking at the beautiful pictures on their web site. We were not housed in the area of the "resort" with the fabulous pool we were actually a fair distance form there. The forest view consisted of a couple of trees, what appeared to be an office building lake and the side of a building. The inside of the room was also a bit dim and dated....think of a really nice H0liday !nn form the early 80s....but with a smell of cleaning solution throughout. Filled out the survey that they sent...got a reply from the General Manager...he said the layout can be confusing......then he said that the next time we stay there, he'll make sure that we are in the Forrest Lake area. I don't think I'll be giving him that opportunity.

Room Tip: Ask if you will be in an updated room or in an older room. The older rooms are not worth what they...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
woodlandsresort, Public Relations Manager at The Woodlands Resort & Conference Center, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Bill H,
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I am pleased to hear our staff and services were up to your expectations. I am however disappointed to hear you were unable to select the room type you wanted. Our website reservations system should allow you after you select Pavilion Package to choose your room type. Could you contact me directly at customerservice@woodlandsresort.com so we can discuss how you booked so that I can see if something needs to be fixed. I appreciate your help in resolving this issue. In regards to your additional feedback on the room, we are currently undergoing a major renovation that will address those issues. I am sorry to hear our efforts offline to resolve your concerns did nothing to appease your discontent with your stay. I hope that we can earn your business back in the future.

Pearland, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

The Woodlands Resort is a beautiful property...away from noise and within a beautifully wooded property. Every single staffer was friendly and helpful. We recommend this as your destination. We went for a weekend leisure stay and left relaxed and happy.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Linda K,
I am so pleased to hear you had an enjoyable getaway and that you left relaxed and happy. We couldn't wish for better praise. We hope to serve you again in the near future.

Aransas Pass, Texas, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

The room was very nice, the staff was friendly, and the resort was amazing. However, after driving four hours with only the intention of having a nice relaxing weekend here, I was totally disappointed in what a waste of time it was. The pool was closed because there was bad weather within a 30 mile radius even though it was not even raining. It closed at 8pm instead of 11 and never reopened even though it never even rained. The slide opens at 11 on Sunday but won't open if it is raining. Thought I would use the business center to check email, but it was credit card based. We basically drove 4 hours to sit in a hotel room. Won't take this chance again.

Room Tip: This is a family and child based resort on weekends. Don't book this if rain is even close by.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
woodlandsresort, Public Relations Manager at The Woodlands Resort & Conference Center, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Simone S,
I am sorry to hear your stay with us did not turn out as expected. The safety and security of our guests is one of our top priorities and whenever there is lighting nearby, we feel it is not worth the risk to our guests for them to be in the pool. I am sorry that it affected your weekend and you felt that it was a wasted trip. I do hope you will give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations in the future.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

I've been to the conference center and resort many times. I try to avoid the small individual buildings that have about eight rooms each. When the place was new they were special. Now they are quite dated despite the fact that they are located in a great location with lots of trees. The larger newer buildings are much nicer and don't feel as old. There is new construction underway on the site so it's quite interesting that these older buildings have not been updated.

When I got the bill, I wished I had stayed nearby. While I had a meeting at the conference center which is well maintained and the food is excellent, the cost and quality for the room I stayed in was a disappointment.

Room Tip: Don't get a room in the individual buildings. Ask for a room in the newer buildings. The small i...
Bill B,
I am sorry to hear you were disappointed in your recent stay with us. We appreciate your loyal service to us and would like to keep that. As you mentioned, we are renovating, which does include 184 new guestrooms, the refurbishment of our Fairway Pines complex, the addition of a 1,000 foot lazy river and a steakhouse. As for the older, outdoor section you mentioned, those will eventually go offline and all of our guests will be in the Fairway Pines section of our property. We hope that you will come back and see us when the renovation is complete and that we will be able to maintain your loyalty. We know you have a choice when you travel, and we hope that choice will be us.

Jasmine

Been to The Woodlands Resort & Conference Center? Share your experiences!