“Real deal BBQ in TX” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch
Alpharetta, Georgia
“Real deal BBQ in TX”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

Ok so I have been around a little. Everywhere I go I look for a BBQ joint. In Houston looked up BBQ and this place came up. Opens at 11:00 am so I get there at 11:00. Line was 30 deep. Waited almost an hour in line. MAN WAS IT WORTH IT!!!! Sliced brisket, sausage, pulled pork, pork rib, sliced turkey, beans, potato salad, Mac n cheese, coleslaw everything was really good! Consistent smoke, you could taste the individual meats, great rub. This place is in my top three of all time! If you are in Houston get here early when they run out, they are out for the day. Eat at corkscrew!!

• Visited September 2012

90% Recommend
Millburn, New Jersey
“Well worth waiting in line....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

A great find with a bizarre location for BBQ trailer, but boy is it good. Could easily be best pulled pork ever.
Brisket was terrific- love how they ask if you want it lean or fatty! Beans were outstanding as was cold slaw. Fresh and so very flavorful....
Overall food was very good. Ribs and cobbler sold out early.Usually closes by 2:30/3:00 when food runs out!

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Best in town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

This BBQ is delicious, worth waiting in line for. Definitely recommend it. The pulled pork tacos are Amazing!!!

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Best pork BBQ west of the Mississippi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

This place looks like a hole in the wall trailer just off of I 45 N. outside of Houston. I have traveled extensively throughout Texas and other parts of the country eating barbecue and this place is incredible. Run by a husband who does the grilling and his wife who does the sides and cobbler, they Put out some of the best barbecue anywhere. The pulled pork and smoked turkey are my favorite- the pork is moist and juicy every time And the turkey is just the right amount of smoke to it. The brisket is moist and smoky and their sandwiches and tacos are outstanding. The only downside about this place is when it's gone it's gone, so you've got to get there early especially on the weekends. They will typically sell out of their popular meats within an hour or two of opening on the weekends or by mid-to-late afternoon during the week. I'm lucky enough to live in Houston and enjoy this barbecue frequently but if you're traveling and looking for a great barbecue spot this is it. Follow them on Twitter for the cobbler of the day and find out when they run out of meat.

• Visited June 2013
Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States
“Don't Waste Your Time”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

We were in town for 9 days. On three different occasions we tried to eat at Corkscrew and they were out of food. I'm not talking about being out of a few key meats. I'm talking about being out of MOST meats and I'm talking about baked beans, potato salad and other sides as well.

Also, the workers inside the truck had a sour "take it or leave it" attitude. It was the same sour attitude you expect to get when you order from a food truck at the State Fair. There was a hand written sign posted about how customers should not be upset if they are out of meat because they cook X amount of meat per day. Whatever. On four occasions, I went out of my way to get there. I arrived at lunch time. I have the right to be feel inconvenienced. I wasn't rude to anyone but I was definitely aggravated.

With Corkscrew, I began to reason that their food must be really good and that's why they run out of everything by 1pm. Well, my logic was WRONG. On our fourth attempt, we managed to "get lucky" and arrive before they ran out of everything. The food was pretty good but nothing [stop the presses] special.

If you like eating out of a vending truck like you're at the State Fair, this might be the place for you. If you like eating outdoors in the steamy heat while being harassed by bugs, this might be the place for you. If you like fighting the wind and having to anchor your sunglasses, napkins, drink, plate, etc this might be the place for you. If you like walking through excessively deep rocks to get to a food truck to order or to be turned away because they have no food to sell, this is the place for you.

On our first failed attempt to eat at Corkscrew, we headed back to the truck. We met others who were leaving because Corkscrew was out of food. Those customers recommended Pit Master (right around the corner). Pit Master is an indoor restaurant. They have outdoor seating too. We went there and had a wonderful experience.

Honestly, the food at Pit Master BBQ was better tasting and a better value. However, these are two totally different eating experiences. You can't really compare the two. The vending truck experience in the thick gravel while you're being covered by a layer of dust cannot be compared to eating at a real restaurant.
Try them both!

Visited June 2013
buckman123, Owner at Corkscrew BBQ, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
HI Tabitha,

I apologize for your bad experience. We are not a carnival food vending truck though, we are a restaurant without indoor seating. We run out of food because we cook as much as we can FRESH everyday and never reheat. I hate to inconvenience anyone really, I hate it myself but this is the only way a real bbq restaurant insures quality BBQ every day. We are in the process of putting in concrete, walkways, and more but we are not going to have any indoors seating as of now. We are backyard BBQ style set-up for TX BBQ experience. Again, we do not want anyone to have a bad experience and we apologize for yours. Best wishes!