“Nice rooms, location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Woodlands Waterway Marriott Hotel and Convention Center

Save Saved
You added Woodlands Waterway Marriott Hotel and Convention Center to your Saves list
Woodlands Waterway Marriott Hotel and Convention Center
Ranked #7 of 17 hotels in The Woodlands
Austin, Texas
“Nice rooms, location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2011

A clean, contemporary midline hotel located right on the waterway/canal in the Woodlands. A great alternative if you find Houston a little much and won't be venturing too far into the city.

Rooms felt new and clean. Not a luxury hotel, but definitely at the higher end of what I've seen from Marriott. I felt comfortable walking around barefoot in our room, which is saying something. Great views of the canal can be had in some rooms. Big flat screen TV. No in-room safe though.

Beds were comfy, but felt a bit smaller than the usual 2 queens arrangement you see most places. If you like a cold room at night you may be disappointed--our A/C never quite rose to the occasion, despite very mild temps outside. Add to that the group of screaming drunk people running down the hallway pounding on doors very late Saturday night, and the sleep quality was not the best feature of the hotel.

Big points off too for toilets that literally appeared to take a full minute to flush, with water swirling the entire time. This was not a "jiggle the handle" situation, but something we observed in 2 different rooms. The impression was of senseless water waste in a state that just got out of its worst drought since the Fifties.

Our boy had a blast riding the water taxi and trolleys that stop a short walk from the hotel. Easy walk to lots of restaurants and shops, as well as the nearby concert venue (Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavillion?).

The price was not the cheapest you'll find, but overall a nice option for business or leisure travel in the Woodlands/North Houston area.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family

268 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Dallas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2010

Visited the Woodlands Marriott in October for a special evening with my fiancé. I was really impressed. The hotel is in a great location, and the overall experience was great.

When we arrived, we went over the main desk. They quickly alerted the Platinum Coordinator who came over and expedited the process. We were checked in to a room on the concierge level. They sent up a platinum gift so that we had a nice snack --- the cheese and crackers was a nice size portion of brie that allowed both of us to have a good snack.

Rooms were really nice. It’s obvious the property is fairly new. It’s standard Marriott, but has a new, modern feel to it. It was clean, and there were no problems bringing extra pillows.

Concierge lounge was great. They had a huge evening spread – 2 hot apps, 1 cold one, plus cheeses and veges. Everything was well stocked and service was great. The morning setup was also great. Eggs, sausage and a cheese platter complimented the normal breads, fruit and cereals. Staff was friendly and really helpful.

The best part about this place – beyond the service – is the location. There are tons of restaurants and things to do within walking distance. We tried Hubbell and Hudson ---- which I’ll write up separately. There’s a movie theatre, shopping and the waterway if you aren’t in the mood for mass consumption. Overall, it’s beautiful and I’d go back in a heartbeat!

Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2010

Stayed for a few days this month on business. It is a beautiful hotel with spacious and clean rooms. Every person I spoke to during my stay was pleasant and could not do enough to assist me. They seem to be doing some room renovations but this did not disturb me during waking or sleeping hours. Endless shopping and dining within walking distance at the Woodlands Mall and Market Street.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2010

My girlfriends and I were looking for an overnight getaway where we could do some shopping and celebrate a special birthday. The Waterway Marriott turned out to be the perfect choice. The rooms have been recently redecorated, and the hotel's common areas are spacious and comfortable. The Woodlands offers excellent shopping and dining choices, and all are within walking distance of this hotel. Self-parking is available for a reasonable charge. All in all, a great place to spend a weekend away that's still close to home.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2010

My husband and I attended a business-related event that took place over several days. The entire group stayed at this Marriott and I was impressed with not just the hotel, but the area surrounding it as well. The hotel has a large, bright lobby with a spacious lounging area for visiting and relaxing. There is a nice bar area with a friendly staff, and also a restaurant on-site. Our room was comfortable and recently renovated, and currently this hotel is renovating all of the rooms. One of the only issues we had during this stay was the construction noise from a floor above us. The workmen were only there during regular business hours, but if you want some quiet time in your room during the day you're out of luck. So keep that in mind if you're planning to stay here soon. You might want to ask up front about the construction progress. On a more positive note, the bedding at this Marriott is very soft and comfortable. The rooms have all of the amenities you need and expect. On my next visit I will ask for a room facing the waterway at the back of the hotel. I did not use the spa here, so I cannot rate that. The very best thing about this place is the location itself. There are many restaurants, pubs, shops, markets, cinemas, etc. within easy walking distance, as well as a major concert venue. You can leave your car in the parking garage. There are also trolleys and water taxis that make regular runs through the "waterway" area, although they don't start very early or run very late in the day. We ate at the Americas restaurant right next door to the hotel one night, and Jasper's in the Market Street area the next night. Both were excellent. I especially enjoyed a visit to the Hubbell & Hudson market right around the corner from the hotel, and a stroll along the waterway just behind the hotel. We definitely plan to visit again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Monterrey, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2010

I stay at the Marriot Waterway because of the location. I was attending a RUSH concert at the Cinthya Woods Pavillion and there is no hotel as near the venue as the Marriot.
They even have a Skybridge at the third floor that connect to the venue parking lot, so if you flight there and do not have a car - like me- that's the place to stay.
Having say that, the Hotel is huge, and really nice, but I arrived really early - 10:30 AM- and I was told no rooms were available.
Becasue the location, I walk a couple of blocks to teh Woodlands Mall and return 90 minutes later- noon-, still no room. So again out I went and hit the theater nearby.
Finally when I get back at 4PM, my room was ready.
Nice clean room on the 5th floor with a nice soft bed- for those hard- as a rock - bed lovers, this will not do it!-
I would say the cost of the room is really expensive, but since I was willing to pay it because the location, it works for me.
I've been to another ok hotels near the Woodlands area, so if you are mobile and don't want to spend much, there are definetly cheaper options around the Woodlands area.

One thing that bother me is that the hotel has a 4:00 PM check in policy which is at least 1 hour later that average hotels.

Would I recommended? YES, but only for people willing to pay the extra buck , like soft beds, and don't mind to have a 4:00 PM check in.

As far as location goes??? - It's unbeatable!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
Alexandria VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2010

I was in huge suite - dining room, living room, great master bath with wonderful tub, and a second "guest bath." Wonderful room and would highly recommend it!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business

Been to Woodlands Waterway Marriott Hotel and Convention Center? Share your experiences!