“Basic and functional” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 17 hotels in The Woodlands
London, United Kingdom
“Basic and functional”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

I have stayed here twice now. Once you have checked in you are pretty well left alone to get on with things and there is usually a side door to get in/out to the car park so I didn't need to revisit reception after checkin.

There is no kitchens/restaurant on site so you need to make a trip to pick up supplies. The fridge is nice and big and you are provided with pots/pans, toaster, coffee makes, microwave, electric stove, dishwasher.

The walls are pretty thin so although I didn't need the aircon on I had it turned on at night to drown out an interruptions from the neighbours either side and above. There is no noise at all from the I-45.

On my last trip I was in a ground floor room and the wasn't overly impressed with the bathroom door inside and frame that had been chewed and scratched by a dog. I realised that these ground floor rooms are 'pet friendly' and although I didn't mind enough to transfer some might not want to use a hotel room which has had dogs living in it previously.

The gym is basic but functional and usually deserted. There are free washer/driers which is a nice change.

I believe Mon-Thu there is some food and beers laid on for guests early evening but I was always working late so missed any socialising.

There isn't anywhere sidewalks/pavements to use to walk to any bars or restaurants so if you deserve a beer it is Walmart and back to your room!

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on the ground floor if you are not a dog lover.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

53 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Stay usually once a month and its always a treat....from arrival, staff, cleanliness, location etc....its top notch. Staff really cares and you can tell that it steems from the top......will stay no place else when in Woodlands!
AZ

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Overall the hotel was nice and clean. They don't serve a breakfast but there's a Denny's right down the street. They do a have pool that nice in the warmer season, they also have outdoor grill and patio for cooking out and having friends over. The staff was friendly and helpful and on Wednesday evening they had a guest appreication and served food along with wine and beer.

Room Tip: Room overlooking the pool and grill is nice.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Average really does sum this hotel up. If you can get it for under/right around $100 per night, then no problem...but anything more and you are probably going to be annoyed.

The good: decent location (right off of 45 south), there is a small workout room that looked well-maintained, a little computer with printer in the lobby for guest use, and a small snack bar with anything little you might need to tide you over between meals. The hotel was clean, from the sheets to the bathroom to the kitchenette. The front desk was friendly and accommodating. We had several boxes shipped to us while we were staying at the hotel, and we were able to retrieve all of them from the front desk with no problem.

The bad: the walls are SUPER thin, and this is coming from an extremely heavy sleeper. My roommate and I were woken up multiple times each night by the noise coming from the room next door and I am not exaggerating when I say that she has slept through a minor car crash! It's REALLY like your neighbors are in your room. The rooms are totally average, nothing luxury or high-end there. We didn't have our room cleaned once the entire time (4 nights) we stayed. The hotel overcharged us by almost $300, and even though we were able to get the bill corrected, it was an extra annoyance at checkout (and made us late to our next destination).

All in all, it was an average stay at a clean hotel. At $100 per night or less, it would be fine. Anything over, and it's an overcharge for sure. Try to get a room NOT connected to anyone else's if you want an uninterrupted night's sleep!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is not occupied on the other side because the walls between connecting rooms are...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Houston, The Woodlands, responded to this review, December 1, 2012
Dear allornothingirl,

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to write feedback. It is good to know that our location was suitable enough for your needs. I apologize for any inconvenience you experienced with the noise levels at the hotel. We take all reviews negative or positive very seriously and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest our your next visit.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we will use your comments to improve our efforts.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Beaumont, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

For the price of this hotel the bedding, towels, and quality of the room surpasses previous experiences at $100 hotels. The bed and bedding was what you expect at a typical high dollar room. This hotel was very clean and new too! The hotel staff were friendly. I will stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Had to attend a conference at the Woodlands Marriott Waterways and instead of ~300$ there opted for a third of the room price here. The triple AAA rate was an excellent deal. Booked a 2-night stay online. Then flight got delayed and ended up on a redeye into IAH, arriving at the Candlewood at 8am. The lady at the front desk told me not to worry about it since they were not booked out the previous night, and indeed was only charged for one night stay - very accomodating and understanding. The room was spacious, everything in working order, windows that could be opened to let fresh air in (with screens). Good work desk, solid wifi internet. Kitchen was well equipped, and bathroom very clean. Slept really well in a comfortable king bed. The hotel is located behind the BMW dealership, somewhat hidden from view when driving along the frontage road. However this shields it from the highway noise, and it was really quiet. Yes, would not hesitate to book this one again, and will try to join the managers reception next time. Great place!

Room Tip: AAA rate book in advance on their website. Top floor was very quiet.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

I first stayed at this Candlewood Suites for an extended stay in the summer of 2011 during a government internship. When I first arrived, I was greeted warmly and was given a fantastic room (of my choice). At first the kitchenette seemed to be devoid of silverware, and so when I called the front desk to ask for replacements, the receptionist come up to my room personally with hands full of silverware, apologizing for any inconvenience. It was a couple of days later when I looked in the dish washer that I found all the silverware I thought I was missing. Over the time I spent there I felt like I was part of the hotel family, each of the front desk workers as polite as the next. They each knew my name, asked how I was doing and were even content to chat a while. OOH AND THOSE BEDS! Never had a comfier night's sleep! I even got some items from the Cupboard (small room with munchies and various travel items for sale) free of charge! Even more personal are the Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday guest parties. In the lobby on these days, pizza, spaghetti, pasta, salad, cookies, and other foods were put out, along with beer and wine. It was a great way to build camaraderie between the hotel guests and the staff, as well as introduce Shiner Bock to far-from-homers like myself. It was actually tough leaving them that year. When I returned the past summer (2012) they continued my reduced rate and when I walked in greeted me like no time had passed at all. Although it lacks some of the finer decorations of fancy hotels, there is absolutely no charm lacking at The Woodlands Candlewood Suites. The staff, the rooms, the FREE laundry are each an amenity worthy of a 5 star hotel. I highly recommend this extended hotel stay to anyone far from home. Inexpensive, personal, and accommodating in such a setting truly makes you forget you are in such a huge metropolitan area.

Room Tip: Top floor. Also, if you are staying awhile, don't get too close to people's rooms with pets...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Been to Candlewood Suites Houston, The Woodlands? Share your experiences!