“nice place but over priced” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
HHonors Weekend 2X Points
Ranked #15 of 17 Hotels in The Woodlands
St Louis, United States
“nice place but over priced”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

its a decent hotel, but price was too much for the type of place. didn't seem like your typical hampton inn. appeared to be a red roof in bought by hampton inn....breakfast was decent and check in and out was easy

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Fairfield, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

My first clue should have been the pair of ear plugs on the nightstand. The room was clean but an older property where the doors face outside to the parkinglot. Could hear the I-45 traffic all night. I asked for a room and the 1st floor so that I wouldn't have to lug stuff upstairs but almost immediately regretted it as it is un-nerving to be "exposed" to the parkinglot and some potential issue that could arise. I won't stay there again.

Room Tip: Stay at a newer property.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
DruF_11, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn Houston-The Woodlands, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
I sincerely apologize for the noise issue encountered during your stay. Our guests’ comfort and safety is my number one concern. Your review will assist in correcting issues in the future. I do hope that the next time you are in the area you will consider staying at our property again. Thank you.
Shreveport, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

My wife and I stayed a few nights here back in late October for the Texas Renaissance Festival. At check-in, we met the Front Office Manager, Dru, who immediately welcomed us and struck up a conversation. That initial interaction set the tone for our stay. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. There was a very light noise at night from traffic, but beyond that our stay was pretty quiet. Now, I'm not a big coffee drinker, but the "Robust Blend" that the hotel serves at breakfast is the best I've had. It was so good, in fact, that I emailed the hotel about it weeks later, after not being able to find out the brand online. Dru, going above and beyond, gave me the brand and even mailed a few packets to my home address. That is beyond quality service!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Plano, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

Doors to the room face outside; I had trouble sleeping due to highway traffic noise. Otherwise clean and friendly place but won't be coming back. Most Hamptons the room doors open to and inside hallway.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

DruF_11, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn Houston-The Woodlands, responded to this review, May 18, 2014
We apologize for the noise level outside of our hotel. We now offer ear plugs in the rooms now to help alleviate this issue. The next time you are in the area we hope you would consider staying with us again.
Fort Hood, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

OK, so we got the caveat on the Hilton Honors website about all rooms at this place having outside entry, and there being 2 floors with a walkway to the 2nd.....BUT we didn't get the memo about the lumpy beds, the torn carpet, the minuscule shower/bath with black mold, the absence of luggage carts, or the large-screen TV whose remote didn't work even with batteries in, except when we re-positioned the thing several degrees. And even THAT miracle didn't last long. Nor did we expect to find a door to the adjoining room, which, thankfully, we could lock. This place has a recycled motel-chain-that-went-under-during-the-recession-of-1981 look and feel to it. Bring on the bulldozers.

Room Tip: Forget about it.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
I sincerely apologize for the noise issues encountered during your stay. Our guests’ comfort and safety is my number one concern. Your review will assist in correcting issues in the future. I do hope that the next time you are in the area you will consider staying at our property again. Thank you.
Marina, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

I've stayed at a number of Hamptons around the country, and this is the first I've encountered one with a "social hour," where beer, wine and snacks are served. Definitely a surprise. It was nice to sit around in the lobby and sip on wine.
Reading the reviews, I requested a room away from the highway, and that request was honored by giving me the room that was farthest from the highway, save for the accessible room at the end. I lived in this area years ago, and was stretching to try and figure out what this hotel once was, but it's clearly not an original Hampton. However, it's been extensively remodeled into a standardized Hampton, complete with the very comfy mattress you would expect at one. You had to really look for the signs of the pre-remodel, which is rarely the case at remodeled hotels, where there's always something sticking out. You do not see many exterior corridor Hamptons, but this didn't really bother me, and it was clearly stated on the web site when I reserved it. If anything, I liked being able to park the car right outside the door.
Not sure about the "safety" comments in another review. Like I said, I lived here for a number of years and still have family in the area, and Shenandoah is one of the safest areas you could imagine. I would still not leave a camera or computer in plain sight in my car in the parking lot, but you're perfectly safe walking around, even at night.
It's a big, big freeway out there, so it is definitely noisy when you leave the room. But the hotel provided ear plugs (in a bag in the room when we arrived) and we never had issues sleeping, even without them.
I liked the breakfast here. Standard Hampton fare except they used dried blueberries in the dried fruit mix for the oatmeal, as well as fresh sliced pineapple rings instead of that syrupy fruit can stuff. Another nice surprise. Typical rehydrated food on the first day, but the second day yielded these excellent roasted potatoes that I really enjoyed. The common area was spotless though, and that was impressive.
There's a bit of a cursed restaurant site next to the hotel, currently occupied by a Bennigan's (it was originally a German restaurant), which seems more promising than what's been there in the past. Other than that, there are some good chain restaurants across the freeway (so about a 5 minute drive) and one of my favorite seafood sports bars, Tailgators, just north of the hotel. If the traffic gets bad, and it does at rush hour, you can take a back way into The Woodlands via Wellman Road, directly adjacent to the hotel, which will take you to Grogan's Mill and the west end of the mall area.
My one gripe was that the hot tub was drained even though the pool had water. It's winter, and it's likely never going to be warm enough for the pool, but the hot tub would have been nice when it was a bit warmer out. Not a big deal though.

Room Tip: Request a room away from the freeway
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Bonham, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

Okay if your a light sleeper to not even think of staying here, I should have known something was up when they have complimentary ear plugs on the end tables, the room was clean and the bed was soft and comfy. But for the money I would go somewhere else.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Been to Hampton Inn Houston-The Woodlands? Share your experiences!