“So far, so good.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 12 hotels in Texas City
New Orleans, Louisiana
“So far, so good.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

We're staying here for a few weeks but I wanted to go ahead and write a review. I may do another one at the end of our stay.
First. The workers at the front desk are EXTREMELY nice and helpful. They seem genuinely concerned with making our stay as comfortable as possible. The first man was sure to inform us about what the hotel offers (more on this).
Second. The room was spectacular! Spotless, seemingly new furnishings. Our room has a kitchen comparable with a small apartment. Granite counters, full-sized fridge, microwave, two-burner ceramic range, dishwasher (what?), DISHES (no-way!) you won't find those little plastic cups wrapped in plastic like most hotels. We also had pots and pans, silverware, everything but food. Clean cabinets, large table/bar, comfy chairs. Two flat-screen tvs (one in the bedroom, one in the living room). DVD player, they'll let you borrow dvds and cds for free as well. (I haven't checked the selection)
Free WI FI. Seems relatively fast and reliable. I hooked up my ethernet cable and GEEZ! fast.
Haven't used the fitness area but it looked like they have a lot of machines. Don't expect vending machines, rather a small convenient store off the lobby. hot pockets, ice cream etc, plus the normal snack items for decent prices.
There's a gas grill outside free for guest use, they'll even give you utensils to use.
Nice towels and linens, whoever chooses these obviously has an eye for quality. Not the scratchy, over-bleached stuff you find at other places.

-The only thing I don't like so far is a non-refundable and pricey pet fee. I think it should be more of a deposit. If your dog doesn't mess anything up, it was like they were never there. Why charge such an outrageous fee?
I'll try to do another review at the end of our stay. I just wanted to go ahead and give Candlewood credit. The pet fee is the only reason I couldn't give an excellent rating.

Room Tip: Very satisfied with our 3rd floor suite.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

39 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Dallas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

The hotel is in a nice spot. Far from the city, but close enough to Kemah and Galveston. It is about 8-12 miles from both. Remember this hotel does NOT serve breakfast, but has a nice stove top and microwave in the room you can use to cook your own food. There is a Kroger right up the road if needed. I did not like the fact that when I checked in, they needed a $50 dollar "incidental" charge. But, they gave it right back at the end of the stay. Overall, good for the price and two nights. The people at the desk were REALLY nice!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Bossier City, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Great value compared to nearby properties. The property is somewhat hard to find if you are not familiar with the area. We called the front desk from nearby, and Carolyn directed us straight to the hotel! Thanks! Do not rely on GPS (we had GPS and two IPhones with maps and google maps). The hotel is located on the north-bound feeder street (Hwy 146), just north of 1764(Palmer Rd.). We had a really nice, 2 nite stay with our mini Schnauzer. Very nice Queen studio suite on the 3d floor with very comfortable bed. We didn't use the cupboard much but we were very thankful for the fresh, complimentary coffee that they kept brewed in the cupboard all day long (even very early in the morning)! We were thankful for the kitchen with all the utensils for cooking, the fridge, microwave, stovetop and everything we needed. The staff and management were very friendly and helpful!

Room Tip: Lots of great eating places and shoppping nearby
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
MORENO VALLEY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

Maybe the perfect room? Everything looks new, kitchenette w/granite, full-size refrigerator, big microwave. Nice recliner, big flat screen TV with lots of TV stations. Bath is granite with nice shower head, curved shower rod, plush towels. Had a helpful conversation with Manager when making reservations, he called me back to say one night I wanted was now available. Easy check in, got the room I wanted. Everything very nicely kept up. Well lighted parking lot.

Texas City is less than 15 miles from Galveston. Texas City has a nice series of parks on the Gulf at the Dike. I biked there most days, good place to watch the ships coming into and out of the port.

The only problem, WIFI is bad, one of those types that gets slow when there is lots of usage. Does it make sense for a hotel to have this type of service in a hotel, to now provide enough band width for having full occupancy with most people online? In an extended-stay type of hotel that wants to get businesspeople? I was advised to connect to wired, which I did. I have my own router so I set up my own network. Even that one has issues, including it just going down at times. Owner seems to think he has fixed the problem, but he needs a better Wi-Fi.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
San Antonio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

First night stay was the most uncomfortable I've experienced in a hotel stay. Although our room was supposed to be non-smoking, the smell proved otherwise. Blame this to the room being on the 1st floor next next to the outside smoking area. Unfortunately, the hotel was booked solid and no other rooms were available. Fortunately, Ik was very accommodating and relocated us the next day to a 3rd floor room.

Overall, the rest of the staff was not the most organized or accommodating. They lacked an adequate supply of linens and the night shift had to wait on the morning shift to accomplish simple requests. Apart from this, the hotel was reasonably priced, had clean rooms, and was conveniently located minutes away from the city center.

Room Tip: Request a room in the upper levels
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Texas City, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Dear tuffnail,

Thank you so much for your candid review of our hotel. I am deeply sorry for the unacceptable service you have received from our staff. I assure you that this is not the norm you should expect from our hotel. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare
Webster, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

I am a travel nurse so I am on the go alot. When I checked into this hotel they wanted to charge my credit card $100 for incidentals. I have NEVER been charged for incidentals. Other hotels just keep your card number on file and do not charge your card. When I asked what the incidentals were I was told that if I were to take something from the food pantry. I pointed out that they charge $5 for a pint of ice cream and I could drive across the street to Kroger and get it for less than $2. He then stated that is was for long distance calls. I pointed out to him that I had a cell phone that worked nation wide. He then stated that it would be for anything of the hotels property that I took. I was blown away by this comment. I have stayed in Candlewood Suites before and have NEVER experienced such treatment. I checked in only because I did not have time to find another hotel because I was working 12 hour shifts. When I made a complaint to the corporate office about the way that I was talked to, I was kicked out of the hotel!!!! The owner stated that I should be grateful to be able to stay there. Grateful? I am paying to stay there, they are not giving me anything. The owner also wanted free access to my room. He wanted to come in when ever he pleased. He even told my company that he would go in at 12 am if he wanted to with out any warning and that he didn't even have to knock on the door that he could just walk in. It was pointed out that that was an invasion of privacy and he stated that it was his hotel and that he could do anything that he wanted to. I am a private person and do not like having people in my room alot. I clean my room every day, not every week. I have pets and you cannot tell that there are in there unless they bark. Every hotel that I have stayed in for any extended length have loved having me because I do not cause extra work and am very friendly. I am dissappointed that these people are allowed to own a franchise of Candlewood due to the fact that they are giving it a bad name. Several of the other guests experienced the same issues but I was the only one to complain to corporate. When I talked to corporate this morning I was told that this hotel had the right to refuse service to anyone. Refuse service because I complained that the staff implied that I was a thief? Really? I thought that was what Customer Relations was for. I am so glad that I did an inventory of all the items in the room and of the damages that I found and took pictures as well. I sent all of this to my company to be kept on file in case of any issues.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Texas City, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear ghostdance1965,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns regarding your stay with us. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. I have taken note of your valuable comments and have shared these to our management team to be reviewed.

Though I would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, I would like to thank you for sharing your feedback as this assists us in continually improving the quality and services that we offer to our guests.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare
Spring, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for two nights in a second floor room back-side, while visiting nearby family for the Christmas holidays.It was a good experience.

It's located on a highway just north of Texas City going toward Kemah-Seabrook. It stands alone in an open area adjacent to much vacant land and a few scattered houses. Front-side view is highway, back-side view is pasture and a few houses. Seemed safe enough area, but there's no sidewalks or any place of business (restaurants, etc) to walk to close by, although there are restaurants and fast food within about a one mile drive.

Parking area is clean and well-lighted, with adequate parking spaces. The area seemed to be a safe area. Lobby is clean and attractive. Front desk staff were courteous, professional, yet not warm... kinda cold. After the check-in was complete, the desk person made a practiced long speech about what to expect regarding the facilities. I'll shorten it here to the important crux of it... "No breakfast; no housekeeping except weekly". We knew that anyway, since it's standard for Candlewood Suites. You can exchange your towels and bed linen for clean any time by taking them down to the office.

One elevator for three floors, clean and adequate speed. Hallways are clean, maintained. The 82-room building is non-smoking. LOVE THAT!

The room was a slightly larger than usual queen studio suite with full kitchen, a small but adequate work/dining area, lounge and dining chairs. Decor somewhat plain, but stylish and attractive, and not worn or dated. Queen bed with comfortable mattress, washable comforter. Carpet was clean. Adequate lighting. Didn't hear much noise or activity from outside the room, but being Christmas the hotel was largely vacant. Large screen HDTV, but no HD service.

The bathroom was roomy and clean, no mold in the shower, fluffy towels, the vanity surface area was smallish for two person's travel junk.. Ceiling exhaust fan. Everything worked.

The marble countertop kitchen was clean and well stocked with cookware and dishware, a refrigerator, electric stove top, microwave, sink/disposal, and coffeemaker. Everything worked.

The hotel has an onsite free laundry (you buy soap), a workout facility, and a pool which we didn't visit.

We would stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Candlewood Suites Texas City? Share your experiences!