“We really enjoyed this tour!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 11 Attractions in Texarkana
Type: Museums
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Built in 1885, this Italianate Victorian home is uniquely designed in the shape of a club because (as legend has it) money to build the house was from the winnings of a poker game with a lucky draw of the ace of clubs. Filled with original furnishings dating from the 1720s to the 1940s from the last occupants of the house, it is regarded as one of the best attractions in the country. "You rarely see a house that is so perfect in every detail and spans the years of a family having the house for 100 years."--Bob Vila, star of TV's hit "Home Again" and "America's Guide to Historic Homes"; "The Ace of Clubs House is a real Texarkana treasure."--Stuart Whitehurst, of PBS' hit series "Antiques Roadshow"
Bigelow, Arkansas
“We really enjoyed this tour!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

I would like to thank you for the wonderful tour that we had on Saturday! I love the house but the tour guide was so knowledgeable and she really seemed to be proud of the house and the families that lived there. My husband and I discussed our tour and we both agree that this was our second favorite tour, behind Biltmor. And if you have ever been to Biltmor, you will understand that this is definitely not a cut! We enjoy home tours and have been on more than I could ever count! We love doing the Christmas homes tours, all over the state, so when I tell you how much we enjoyed it, I really do mean it! We have a historical home that is on the National Registry, as well, so I understand the research and the sense of responsibility to keep up an old home!

The house is absolutely gorgeous!! I really enjoyed the way the the shoes were laid out and I can appreciate how hard it is to keep them dusted! I loved hearing about how the house was kept cool in the summer, with the dry moat and the breath taking stairway. The rooms are beautifully decorated and the furnishing are exceptional! You are very lucky to have so many original pieces! Please keep up the good work and I will let everyone here in Central Arkansas that this is a home not to be missed!

Visited October 2013

Tulsa, Oklahoma
26 attraction reviews
“Interesting Gem of a Museum”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

To be honest I must say that I was not expecting much at the Ace of Clubs house, and my boyfriend (whom I almost literally had to drag along) was not entirely interested to be going. It was actually much more interesting than either of us had intended for it to be, and we are definitely glad that we decided to visit. The history of the house is very interesting, but what was really captivating was the fact that the house was in such good shape for looking as though it was still in use by a family from the early 1900's. I don't believe that I have ever walked through such an elegant house that is set up the way it might have been for an extremely wealthy family from long ago. The tour lasted about 90 minutes, and the tour guide was extremely knowledgeable about everything in the home. Wear comfortable shoes, though because the tour is somewhat lengthy and there is no where to sit down (there are signs all over the old furniture that ask you not to sit). This tour would be interesting for ages 10+, but there is not much to see for anyone younger than that- and there are so many old items that I don't know that I would trust younger children in there anyway. The price for a tour is $6 for each adult, and we both definitely thought it worth the price for the length of the tour and the amount of information and interesting items to see in the home. Out of all of the attractions to see in the Texarkana area, this is probably the most interesting of them all. A definite recommendation from the both of us.

Visited October 2013
East Coast
15 attraction reviews
“Ace of Clubs - All Aces”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

This was a rare treat for us. We arrived and the museum was closed but a phone number was provided to call for a reservation. We called and within minutes the curator opened the museum and provided us with a private tour which lasted 2+ hours. It was fantastic and quite detailed. Of course, our interaction with the guide and the many questions we asked added to the time frame. She was so informative that we came away from each room thoroughly impressed. When we entered the house by the front door, I literally gasped and exclaimed "Wow" because the entranceway was so overwhelmingly ornate and beautiful. We spent 11 days touring the region and of all the many tours we took, this was by far the best and the most professionally presented. I only wish we had had more time to explore the city. On the curator's suggestion, we did visit the cemetery where some members of this illustrious family were buried and that, too, added to the overall positive impression we had of this house museum. I recommend a visit to this unique museum highly. Jim

Visited July 2013
Carbondale, Illinois
“A historic home with a Pi Beta Phi connection”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

"Miss Olivia," Olivia Smith Moore, served 15 years as Grand Treasurer of Pi Beta Phi Fraternity for Women. After she left office, she became Grand Treasurer Emerita. It was thrilling to tour her historic home and to see her legendary collection of shoes, up close and personal.

This is a wonderful home to tour. Its design is charming and the glimpse it provides to an earlier time is educational and interesting. I wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone driving through the area!

Visited July 2012
30 attraction reviews
“Time trapped in a unique house”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

This place is very historic. The house is in fact in the shape of the club henece ace of clubs house. It is interesting forbthose who really appreciate old antique historic houses with a history that goes alonh with it. Very beautiful and a reminder of a time when homes were built in very custom made ways to suit the owners.