“will stay again” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 20 Hotels in Texarkana
gulf coast, TX
“will stay again”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

Our room was very clean. I am crazy detail oriented and would have noticed hair in the drain or on the pillows - there was none. We walked around barefoot and our feet stayed clean, indicating clean flooring. (We've been in hotels that looked clean enough but feet turned black - no dirt here.) I don't know if there was one housekeeper who wasn't up to standard for the other recent reviews or what. Room 323 was just great. Room was well lit, well organized, comfortable and clean. Beds were very comfy - supportive and cushy with duvet over sheets for a snuggly feel. Towels seemed standard. We could hear the highway when we listened for it, but it didn't intrude at all. We could see part of I-30 but we were not facing the I-30/I-69 interchange.
This was a very quick, last minute, can't drive any further, stay for us so we did not use the pool, whirlpool, WiFi, microwave, fridge, or clock. The pool and whirlpool looked clean and clear FWIW.
So why the 4 rather than 5. Two reasons: breakfast was very good but not a 5 and bathtub had a chip out of the enamel - about 1.5 by 2 inches on the bottom where some would stand for a shower. The breakfast was good - they had fruit salad without syrup, yeah. They also had make your own waffles, cereals, coffee, juices, lemonade, milk, yogurt, hot chocolate, oatmeal, pastries and breads, fresh fruit and hot items. (Probably a few items I missed as well) The area was clean and well stocked with a friendly but not hovering host. The breads did not look "today fresh." The bread I had was not stale, but was drier than toast but not toasted - I did not see a toaster. There was a small buffet unit with three compartments for hot items. The morning we were there the compartments held scrambled eggs, bacon, and gravy for the biscuits that were in a bowl nearby. A slight ding is that the eggs were not yummy - tasted like egg powder with milk and margarine added for flavor. I prefer eggs to taste like eggs. The biscuits and gravy were a hit with my son and the bacon was also good - not greasy!
Maybe others would give it a 5 for all the things done very well, but it wasn't "practically perfect" so I give it a 4.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Huntsville, Alabama
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Checked into room 203 around midnight after driving 1100 miles from southern Arizona, moving to Alabama. I always like to choose Country Inns because they're always clean - this one, however, was not. On the surface, everything looks great and beautiful - however, my room was disgusting. It was covered in someone elses hair. Long, short, straight or curly, you name it and it was in there. There was hair on the bathroom floor, sinks, shower floor, even the faucet. I pulled back my bedspread and there was hair in my bed as well. The only thing that didn't have hair was my pillows. Someone else's toothpaste spit was on my sink, and there was even a piece of trash in the shower stall. It's obvious that whoever cleaned this room did a horrible job. If I hadn't just checked in from such a long drive, I would've checked out immediately and found another hotel.

Before going to breakfast, I thought that my room was probably an isolated issue and that the rest of the hotel would be fine. WRONG. The floor in the breakfast area was sticky and my bowl AND fork had smashed dried food on them. There's just a lack of cleanliness here, and it wasn't isolated to the bedroom or the bathroom. Upon checking out, no one asked how my stay was, so apparently it's not important to them either.

Very disappointing for this chain that usually hits home runs. I'm not picky at all - I just want a clean room. You couldn't pay me to stay here again.

Room Tip: For the best room, keep driving to the next exit.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Viren P, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites Texarkana, responded to this review, October 26, 2013
Thank you for reaching out and writing your review. We are sorry you were not satisfied with the accommodations of your room. We will discuss the conditions of your room with our staff to ensure all guest rooms are up to Country Inns and Suites by Carlson standards. To discuss your stay further, please contact the hotel directly, and ask for Matt Carson, Front Office Manager.
Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

Hotel was clean overall, but the walls are paper thin. You can hear all of the traffic on I-30 and the guy's tv next door. Also, it's a smoke-free hotel but someone smoked in our room - it smelled so strongly of air and carpet freshener we almost asked for another room but were in hurry.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Viren P, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites Texarkana, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Little Elm, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

We stayed one night last week on a stop over and found the hotel to be very nice and clean. The room was spacious and the bathroom was very modern. The complimentary full breakfast was good even though it did not include eggs and bacon/sausage. The biscuits and gravy were very good. The only complaint was that the a/c in our room was very loud and it vibrated when running. It kept the room cool and comfortable but it definitely needed some sound masking or repair to reduce the noise. Other than that, it was a pleasant stay and the hotel was much nicer than I expected.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

I am astonished at how classy this hotel is. They use real china for breakfast. Stephanie (I think was her name)checked on us constantly and kept the food coming out hot. At check inn, Matt gave us great directions for food houses and shopping along with a business card with the hotel information and asked me to review the hotel. Well here it is! I grew up here years ago and my how it's changed. It has gone from a small two lane highway to a metroplex in the time I have been gone. Anyway, the hotel is away from the city traffic and noise and very very quiet. Tabitha at checkout talked with me for a while. She always had a smile and a motherly personality. I was traveling with my husband who just had his third hip surgery. The hotel was very helpful in finding me a ground floor wheelchair accessible room and it was clean and spacious. Had a microwave and fridge for his insulin. I can't say enough good things. I travel this way and sometimes bring my dog Nibbles. Fortunately this time she was with her sitter. It's a pet free hotel which is good for most. This will be my stopping point for the next few months and it will be a pleasure to meet with my new country friends again. Thanks for going the extra mile.

Xoxo
Mary

• Stayed August 2013
Stuttgart, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

My family only stayed one night at the Country Inn & Suites in Texarkana but would stay again. From the time I called to check on my reservation to the time we pulled up to the hotel the staff was on point with my information and was ready to welcome us after a long drive to their facility. It was good southern hospitality that I like to see and caring nature even though they do not know us. I was greeted from the time we made it to the time we awoke for breakfast....and I really liked the noon check out time and full breakfast. Great new rooms and no smoke smells.....there was a small stain on the carpet, but other than that it was worth the money and I will look to this facility the next time we visit the Texarakana area.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Viren P, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites Texarkana, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Thank you for your kind words about our hotel! It's always refreshing to hear any guest experiences. We take your comments seriously and strive to provide the best service possible to make you feel as if this is your 2nd home! We are excited and hopeful to see you again in the future, and one again, thanks for choosing Country Inns & Suites of Texarkana!

Matt Carson
Front Office Manager
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

I would say that for a 1-night stay, this hotel was just what we needed. A perk is how new everything still is. We also enjoyed the comfortable beds & rooms. Another plus is the security cameras looking over the parking lot. I hope they keep this hotel in great condition... With it being brand-new right now (July 2013), you never know how things will take a turn in the future. Luckily this room was booked in advance, because it seems that the hotel became PACKED that night (on a Friday). We also had some loud neighbors across the hall, which I suppose is unavoidable no matter where you stay. It just seemed that the walls were not well insulated from noise. (Side note: if you are looking for the mini-fridge, it's built into the dresser). Overall, it was a nice hotel stay. Biggest complaint would be that there was a long line for fresh waffles in the morning. The eggs & sausage were fresh, but the oatmeal was cold & watery. Wasn't too thrilled with the breakfast. With that kind of occupancy, they probably need 2 more waffle makers!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review our property! I am very happy that overall you had a nice stay with us. It is true, on that Friday night we were very much booked! However, we do have staff on duty 24 hours a day that can assist in any situation regarding noise or any other concerns. We aim to please our customers 100%, and thanks to reviews such as yours, we can use them as a template to furthur improve any issues you encounter! If we can be of any more assistance to you, please do not hesitate to contact us at anytime! Thanks again for choosing Country Inn & Suites of Texarkana! We look forward to seeing you again in the future!

Matt Carson
Front Office Manager

Been to Country Inn & Suites Texarkana? Share your experiences!