“Texas Refugee Chic” 4 of 5 stars
Review of La Posada Milagro

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Terlingua
La Posada Milagro
You added La Posada Milagro to your Saves list
45 Milagro Way, Ghostown, Terlingua, TX   |
Houston, Texas
“Texas Refugee Chic”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2011

Texas conjures up the thoughts of cowboys, indians, cattle and criminals of the old west. Visiting Terlingua in the Big Bend region is no exception. The area is so rugged that major airlines have to fly into El Paso or Midland each about a 6 hour drive away. We were there competing in the annual World Championship Chili Cookoff and decided to take up residence at La Posada Milagro in the old Terlingua Ghost Town. We did not see any ghosts but the hotel was very unique. It was very rustic but in a good way. The buildings were constructed of native stone, shared bathrooms mostly and no TV or phones in the rooms. They have a great coffee shop that serves breakfast and lunch items (Burritos, tamales, meatloaf etc...). But mostly it was the great serce that will keep us going back. Ask for Mimi, the owner, or Noemi, who was so kind to us even giving us rides back and forth to the cookoff. Man, you gotta get some here!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2011

My husband was not so happy when we drove up to the "lobby" but before long he was singing i n the outdoor shower and enjoying a corona on the front porch of our room, happy as a Terlinguan can be. The place is very eclectic, sort of feels like you're in old Mexico (more than a couple of code violation I think), great location right across the street from the main attraction in town, the Starlight Lounge.. Shared bathrooms were very cool and funky and the view out over the desert in the morning was priceless. Also very much enjoyed breakfast in the morning. Don't miss it. The owner is a casting director out of LA, the manager is very sweet.. We'll definitely be back.

Room Tip: We were in Room # 6, at the end overlooking the desert- loved it
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Manchester, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011

We spent our honeymoon here in the Chisos Honeymoon suite. The place is truly unique and very comfortable. Our room was cozy and had a beautiful fireplace in the corner of the room. No television, our entertainment at night was conversation and wine by star light. The inn is a short walk from the ghost town down the hill where there is a lovely restaurant and ghost town trading post. Breakfast can be found at the main building of the inn...simple and delicious fare - a good start to a day of hiking in the nearby Big Bend National Park. The Chisos Honeymoon suite offered a private bathroom, other rooms have a shared bathroom and shower - and are still very nice. We will most definitely stay here again for future anniversary trips!

Room Tip: Pick the Chisos suite if you want a private bath.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Dallas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2011

This is a place that I would recommend to most people except those who demand 5 star service. The basics are provided as well as wonderful cotton robes which are for sale at the office. I was concerned that my husband would complain about the walk outside a few feet to our private bath and shower, but he was just crazy about this place and can't stop telling people how unique it was! Sit outside your room and look across the ghose town to the mountains of Big Bend. Watch the sun set and rise over the the desert. At night, sit outside your room and look up at the stars if you live in a light-polluted city and have forgotten what all is out there. This place is so private and "away from it all." But do not fear, there is Wi-Fi which works well contrary to another review. In our case, we just had to ask which network to choose. Then no problem!

Must not to forget to mention the fabulous breakfasts available down at the cafe connected to the office. Great coffee and everything made to order just for you. Oh, almost forgot to also mention that La Posada Milagro is PET FRIENDLY. We took our old lab and it worked out well for all.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Dallas, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2011

Despite loving South County, my mom lives in neighboring Alpine because she can't handle the dust and terrible water in Terlingua. Well, apparently she's never stayed in La Posada Milagro. Yes the shower is not connected to your room. For us, the shower was literally 5 yards from our room. My mom had warmed me that you could see a white ring on the floor after you shower. That was not the case at all! The hot water came on instantly and the water was clean. My shower actually felt luxurious. The walk in shower area was huge and was constructed of nice stones. You could tell that this place was designed to be nice well maintaining the rustic appearance. This place is a fine example that rustic does not have to be uncomfortable or dirty.

The owner (Mimi) was super-friendly! I look forward to bringing her future business.

To the untrained eye, this place looks like the Big Bend Hoiliday Hotel, but they are separate properties owned by different people. My wife showered in the Big Bend Holiday Hotel. She said the shower area was very clean but our room hadn't been swept. The shower is what's most important so not a huge deal. She also said that the Holiday Hotel had warm water but that it took 5 minutes to warm up. That's definitely not the case with La Posada Milagro

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2010

A buddy and I stayed at La Posada for a few days during our trip to Terlingua and it was absolutely great. You can tell off the bat that a lot of creativity and heart went into the design/construction of the compound and its rooms; it really is a cool place you just have to see for yourself. The rooms are very well kept and the location within the ghost town is unbeatable. You can pound margaritas at the local bar, The Starlight, then simply make a two minute walk back to your room without having to worry about driving. The mornings at La Posada are an experience in themselves, as you can have a cup of espresso (and great breakfast!) at the coffee shop while watching an amazing sunrise over the Chisos mountains. The staff are very friendly and helpful; they make your stay even more enjoyable. Though there is plenty to see and do within the ghost town itself, La Posada is also just a short drive away from Big Bend Natl Park, which I would definitely recommend adding to your itinerary if you're in the area.
Overall the experience was incredible. I was surprised that in a town past the edge of civilization such a nice and comfortable place could exist, but it definitely is just that. After running around the desert all day, I couldn't recommend a better place to chill out than La Posada. I'll definitely be staying there again in future travels.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
San Antonio, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2010

If you like spending too much money for nothing, no bathroom access from your room, no service, then this is the place for you. I had booked two nights at the hotel. When I showed up, the office was closed. The keys were in the lock of the door of my room. The room itself (I had the Chisos suite, supposedly the "honeymoon" suite) and it was much, much smaller than what I was told.

Bathroom/shower is not attached to the room, so you have to actually go outside of your room to go to the toilets or take a shower.

Both hardwired and wireless internet did not work, so I called the number I was given. I spoke to a very nice lady, but she wasn't on site, so I was told to go in the back room and play with all the wires, unplug and plug back the routers etc etc....Although I paid very good money for the room, I did what I had to do in order to get internet. After half an hour of working on it, it still didn't work. So I called again. A very nice man came in, but the problem was that the man did not speak one single word of English and I don't speak Spanish. I took me to another location to try to fix the network, but still no avail.

Anyways, I paid 200 dollars a night for the room, but received 0 service. The same evening I checked-in, I left and went to a different hotel. During my stay at the other hotel, somebody at La Posada Milagro left two messages on my voice mail telling me to return the keys (which I did at the date of check-out), and that I would be charged anyways even if I didn't stay there. I felt a little bit stalked because hotels usually don't care if you pay, keep the key for the duration of your supposed stay, but don't sleep there.

All in all, if you like spending money for nothing, if you like a no-service attitude, and if you want messages on your voicemail because you decided not to sleep there one night, then this is the place for you. For all the others, wild camping would be much better; cheaper, not expecting any services and no commidities, and nobody to leave messages on your voice mail.

Strongly not recommended.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family

Been to La Posada Milagro? Share your experiences!