“Nice colorful, unique stay for Big Bend” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Chisos Mining Company Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Terlingua
Chisos Mining Company Motel
You added Chisos Mining Company Motel to your Saves list
Highway 170, P.O. Box 228, Terlingua, TX 79852   |
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Terlingua
San Antonio, Texas
“Nice colorful, unique stay for Big Bend”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

We stayed in their large Santa Fe Suite over Spring Break, which is Big Bend's busiest season. We were lucky to get such a nice place as late as we booked. The condo was huge. Big bedroom with king size bed and coach, big living room with 2 futons, a couch, recliner chair, TV and DVD player. Honestly, one of the best parts was the full size kitchen so we could cook and pack lunches for the day while hiking in the park. This condo is on top of a hill in Terlingua, so it is great spot for viewing the stars, unless there is a full moon. I would recommend the Santa Fe Suite to anyone and go back in a heartbeat. It is not a luxury property, but if you are looking for luxury you most likely would not be vacationing in Big Bend. Loved it!

Room Tip: Stay in one of their condos. The largest Santa Fe suite was great.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Little Rock, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014 via mobile

Stayed in a 1 BR condo, #38 and was greatly surprised and pleased. Especially after reading the reviews. The condo is a small duplex house, up on a hill, across the road from the main hotel, with great views of the surrounding mountains.
The condo is very spacious with a good sized living room/dining area/kitchen combo. A very large bedroom with a king size bed and walk in closet. And a sufficiently sized bathroom. While the furnishings are out dated, the place was VERY clean and there were no critters of any kind. The kitchen has everything you need. Medium size refrigerator, small 4 burner gas stove and oven, microwave, coffee maker, toaster, etc. All needed dishes and pots and pans are provided. The sofa makes out into a full size futon, however, I would not recommend the futon as a sleeping option. It's very hard. It would work perfectly with an air mattress on it. Towels, pillows, blankets, iron and ironing board provided. There is an outdoor grill and lawn chairs and a covered porch for viewing the mountains.
Maid service only consists of trash changing and new towels, which was fine with us.
Our relatives came down to stay the same week and were booked in another place. After seeing our fab digs they called and moved into the condo attached to ours. Shirley and Cathy were both very helpful and went above and beyond in getting our relatives into the condo next door at the last minute.
The location is perfect, 4 miles from the Terlingua Ghost town and 8 miles from the west entrance to Big Bend National Park.
I will definitely stay here for our next trip and recommend the condo to anyone reading this. Keep in mind, it's Big Bend/Terlingua, not the Ritz-Carlton Resort!

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

When I first walked in the room in the motel, I was overwhelmed by the smell of bug spray. And then I saw the room. I think they filmed one of the scenes from 'No Country for Old Men' here. I was late in booking a room in Terlingua and I will never be again. Everything in the town is overpriced, but this place takes the cake. It was the most expensive place we stayed on our 3500 mile road trip from Austin to Sante Fe to Big Bend. Horrible. It is an expensive place to take a dog as well. We were charged a pet fee every night, not a one time charge like all of the other places we stayed.
The bug spray smell was obvious and there are no amenities. None. No coffee maker, no small fridge in the rooms, no service for WiFI (and there is service in the town of terlingua, just not here, unlike what we were told when we checked in). The bed linens are from the 80's. There were burns on both of the bed spreads and on the carpet. And they charged us an extra person rate for our five year old child! The beds were awful. Plus, I had to pay the full amount without seeing the room on check in. In no other place was I asked to do this, and then the owner disappeared and was never seen again. There is a box to drop the key when you leave. No where to lodge a complaint. So, we fixed the toilet ourselves when it backed up cause no one answered the phone when we called.
Now, I am not one for luxuries. I do realize that this is the middle of no where. It is why I love to come to Big Bend. But there are plenty of other businesses in the area that take pride in their business and care for their guests. (any of the other cabins who rent out for a fraction more are five stars compared to this place) Chisos Motel knows they are the last stop in town and will get the left overs. Which is what we were. But for the price, you expect it to be clean, with decent linens and at least a coffee maker and a toilet that works.
I can say that the views were nice as long as you don't look behind the place at the city dump.
We booked here the week after Texas's main spring break so the town was still a bit full, but I could not leave and try and find another place as the front office was closed the entire time we were there and I could not check out. And I had already been forced to pay in full on check in!
Awful. Terrible. But I doubt -very seriously- if they even care. Do not stay here - camp instead. I will never make this mistake again.

Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

If you're into high comfort, then this isn't the place for you. Then again, Big Bend is probably not your kind of place if you're into five-star lodgings. On the other hand, if you're OK with a rustic, no-frills kind of place, then you'll do just fine here, and you'll really enjoy the low price. A basic room is essentially just that, small and bare bones, clean and serviceable with a private bath if you want one, not much else. It does have air conditioning, an absolute requirement for much of the year down here. My only complaint was that the mattress wasn't really very firm. Otherwise, it was just fine for the money, especially since I was going to spend very little time in my room.
Now this place might not be your kind of place, also, if you're looking for some peace and quiet. With the rooms so small, nobody would want to spend much time indoors, so the natural thing here is to get out and barbecue and have a few beers with your friends and family, and the revelry can go on fairly late. It's not terrible, and if you look the idea of being around special people outdoors on a lovely evening, you'll absolutely love this. You'll also probably meet a few new friends, as I did.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

I booked a "home" in this place. Comes with two bedrooms, a dining room, a living room and a kitchen,. Has one bathroom only. I was a bit apprehensive when booking first as they wanted me to mail them a check. In any case since the Chisos Mountain Lodge was overbooked, I just booked this place. Looked it up on google earth and the place looked desolate and "deserty". Even when I was checking in I was apprehensive. The place looked "rustic" with sand all over, broken down trucks and cactus plants.. more like ruins from a movie. But Terlingua and BigBend are the remotest parts of the world: -) Once you go into the "home" it was beautiful. Clean. So if you take your own food, it is like your own home. I do not know how the other smaller quarters and cabins are. I think I paid about $165 or so per night and it was well worth it. Cheaper than staying at the lodge on the mountains and eating at expensive lodge restaurant. Furthermore this is closer to the park (2-3 miles) than it would be if u r staying at Lajitas. PErfect place to stay. They did not have a cutting board and I told them to have it fixed. There are enough plates, cups, glass, spoons etc. to host about 8 people. They change sheets and towels every day. They do not mop or sweep the place. I did not ask why they do not do it. There is a broom and if you feel "sandy" because u r in a desert, just sweep. There was a non working "spa" outside the house. I believe this is pet friendly as well.

Sugar Land, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

It is no different then most businesses in the area. Everything is overpriced!
The furnishings are outdated, but the room was very clean. It is carpeted with two full-size beds, a table, two chairs, a TV and an alarm clock. The bathroom is small (not much space by door) and the vanity outlet doesn't work.
We had to walk to the outside of the office to get WiFi, but were then able to walk back to room (#4) with it still connected. We had no issues with bugs or rodents.

On the flip side: The woman at the front desk wasn't friendly or helpful. Housekeeping cleaned our rooms while we were away the first day, but they didn't show up until the afternoon the second day. We came back to the hotel to eat a late lunch because it was too windy to picnic in Big Bend.

Room Tip: We were in motel rooms #4 and #5. We didn't hear our neighbors.
Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

Bed in master bedroom was adequate, but the room was supposed to accommodate four guests with a sofa or futon in the living room. Our room had a futon that was so old that it leaned to one side. My sons got very little sleep.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Been to Chisos Mining Company Motel? Share your experiences!