“Santa Elena Canyon tour” 5 of 5 stars

432-371-3033
Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 11 Attractions in Terlingua
More attraction details
Owner description: Since 1979 Big Bend River Tours outdoor outfitter has offered river trips, guided park tours, backroad tours, hiking and backpacking and now horseback combo trips as well. Come join us in the beautiful Big Bend of Texas. Open every day, 365 days a year. Come discover the magic of the Big Bend!
Arlington, Texas, United States
“Santa Elena Canyon tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

The most beautiful scenery & the most wonderful tour guides. Thoroughly enjoyed the peace being surrounded by the canyon & mountains in the area while being educated by guides about the area, river, rocks & mountains.Was pleasantly surprised by lunch in the canyon with tablecloths,fresh fruit, sandwiches & all the fixins served by our tour guides in aprons. Very skillfully guided down the river & over the few rapids we encountered-safety was stressed throughout the trip as needed. Thanks John & Jason for a memorable vacation experience.
Would recommend this trip & this company to all!

Visited September 2013

austin
“The River was UP, the trip was FUN!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

If you have the luxury of jumping on the Rio Grande on it's own schedule of rising with the dam releases from Mexico, go with Big Bend River Tours. Santa Elena Canyon in all of its beauty and majesty cannot be seen any other way. Our guide, John Parker, was happy and personable and skillfully navigated the ROCK SLIDE rapid in the heart of the canyon at a high water level. Big Bend River Tours hires guides who are knowledgeable and enthusiastic about the river, geology, flora and fauna of the area. It was a great trip.

Visited August 2013
Cypress, Texas, United States
“An awesome trip with the best guides(thanks, Mark and La)!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

We took a 3 day / 2 night canoe trip in early July. We had the most fantastic experience! I was a little wary of taking our 8 and 10 year old boys. This hesitation quickly evaporated when our guides made them feel comfortable and safe. They were experts and, as a result, we felt very safe. Our guides taught us about the Big Bend area and made the trip not only fun, but educational.

Our meals were excellent! I believe that our guides were really chefs in disguise. I can't say enough about the quality of the meals that we received! I really wasn't expecting this. Steaks, cake, lasagne, and so much more!

My husband and I are amateur bird watchers. We were thrilled that our guides helped us to identify the wide assortment of birds. They even let us stop to spot them whenever we wanted.

I really think that our guides, Mark and La, were the reason that we had such a great time. We bonded with them and felt that they were part of our family by the end of our trip. Mark played the fiddle and entertained us each night. La offered encouragement to our boys and helped us to spot so many birds (even a Painted Bunting!). We hated to see the trip end. I am all ready planning another trip next year. I only hope that we can get our same guides!!

--Amy and Devin E.

Visited July 2013
Beaumont, Texas
5 attraction reviews
“Fabulous Experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Wonderful and organized operation. We had great tour experiences that our whole family enjoyed. First was an all day canoe trip into Santa Elena with a fun and educational hike into the canyon in the middle. Second was a half day saddle tour into the State Park which was equally wonderful. Both guides were great and the horses were wonderfully trained!! great family fun!

Visited July 2013
San Antonio TX USA
“Temple Canyon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

I have no experience in canoeing and what little summer I have spent in Terlingua made me wary of a summer river trip. One of the girl guides looked me straight in the eye and said, "you are gonna fall in love with the river." More prophetic words have not been spoken to me in a long while. Our guide trained us well from the starting point, was very encouraging, gave excellent clear directions that empowered us to feel a level of mastery I did not expect to reach in one outing. The weather was incredible! The food was amazing prompting one of the other guests to comment, "I expected a guide that could cook, I didn't know we were getting a cook that can guide." An amazing experience that I intend to repeat (in any season!) frequently. Rivers are restorative.

Visited June 2013