““Fraudulent Staff”” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 7 hotels in Sugar Land
Denver, Colorado
““Fraudulent Staff””
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

Myself and several other co-workers stayed there for business.

Pros - very clean hotel and adjacent to strip mall with plenty of food options and that's about it.

Cons - business center printer didn't work - out of ink and the front desk clerk didn't really car, old fashioned CRT TVs in the room (sound did not work in my room), claim to have HBO but don't, breakfast is bad.

When my co-workers I tried check out the next day we were informed "they don't give out receipts" for several resaons, the best one being that the clerk "did not know our room rate". Upon checking in we were required to intial and sign a piece of paper with our rate. I informed the clerk of this and then he said he couldn't give us a receipt because of "room incidentals." I informed the clerk we were checking out and he should reconcile our r"room incidentals" (we did not have any) now issue us the final room statements. the clerk then told me OK but he "still could not give us a reciept because we booked through orbitz." I then threatend to call my company and cancel all ou our corporate credit cards due to fraudulance. The clerk then printed out our room receipts in 30 seconds.

I informed my company and they are watching the cards for fraudulant charges. if you stay here, be aware.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Manager S, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Sugarland Inn, responded to this review, March 3, 2013
Dear Traveler,

Thank you for your recent review of BEST WESTERN Sugar Land Inn. We sincerely appreciate your feedback and please note that we take such feedback to improve our business.

In regards to your comments concerning receipts, please note your company credit card was charged by Orbitz.com; NOT our hotel. In other words, your credit card statement will show a charge from Orbitz.com; not Best Western Sugar Land Inn.

What you must understand is that any third party websites (Hotels.com, Expedia.com, Travelocity,com, Orbitz.com, etc) charge the consumer directly. Hotels and these third party travel sites have contracts and negotiated net rates that are NOT to be released to the guests. What this means is that the rate you paid on their websites is not the same rate the hotel is billing the third party.

Your receipt is the documentation (email notification) you received from Orbitz.com. The hotel has no idea what rate you paid Orbitz.com therefore a receipt from the hotel cannot be given to a consumer who books via a third party site. Hotels will not (and should not) disclose the negotiate rate between them and the third party site to a guest. The difference in the rate you paid on their site and what is billed to them is their profit.

Also, please note that we are replacing all TV's in the hotel within the next 2 weeks. We have purchased new Samsung LED TV's and are installing DirecTV with 54 HD channels with HBO, CNN, ESPN, and much more.

Although we have no control on how a cable provider provides reception to our property, we take full responsibility for their lack of quality service. This is the reason why we have already begun the change from cable to satellite and have purchased new TV's.

If you would be so kind, please email me directly at Manager@BESTWESTERNSugarLand.com if you would like more clarification on third party reservations, third party sites and contracts. I will be more than happy to discuss with you why the rates can not be disclosed.

We strive for exceptional customer service in all aspects of our hotel and as you can see in other reviews, we consistently provide that service to our guests.

Thank you again for your feedback.

100 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Norwalk, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Hotel is great for work. It's very quiet away from the highway but yet close enough for a 5 minute taxi to restaurants. Internet was good (could always be faster) and staff was nice and friendly. Overall, I was satisfied with my stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Grand Bend, Ontario, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Upon arriving at this hotel and having been turned away from a few others for having a dog, after 30 hours of driving from Canada this hotel was more than happy to accept us. Originally, my girlfriend simply went inside the lobby just to ask where we could go with a dog, as we were exhausted. I was standing between the two exterior doors with the dog in my arms clearly in the view of Emily the desk clerk. She indicated we could simply stay there for the night. Everything seemed great so I dropped of some bags helped my girlfriend get my dog, and his bed into the room, and then I went to the local HEB for groceries. Minutes later, I received a text from my girlfriend that she was asked to leave the premises immediately – kicked out because of the dog. The gentleman that kicked her out (night-time manager Josh) made the request by phone after he had watched her on the camera taking Ozzy for a walk before bed. He called her in a belligerent manner and told her she had to leave the premises immediately because she snuck a dog in. In a panic at his insistence that she leave immediately, she somehow managed to carry all of her things, my things, the dog and his bed out in one trip that took both of us to get into the hotel. When she asked for a refund (other then to set our bags down we had not occupied the room) he refused – and said they had a no pet policy.

I came back from the HEB store thinking this had to be a mistake and I found my girlfriend freezing with no coat, as it was 51 degrees F, and my poor 16-year-old dog shivering outside in the front turnaround. The absolutely inept nigh time manager Josh wouldn't even let them wait inside the doors until I returned. I asked where Emily was, clearly she saw us come in with an old small dog. He told me she was gone for the night despite her coat still hanging on the same chair it was earlier. Clearly she was hiding. When I asked about refunding the charges Josh explained how we had signed a contract and we had broken that contract by bringing a dog. I would argue that by the conduct of staff – Emily acknowledging our dog, and the fact that we stated we had a dog the contract becomes void, he still refused to refund the charges. My girlfriend proceeded to request that American Express decline the charge, American Express confirmed that there would be a stop payment for that hotel for that amount. Sadly, it was two days later, while still travelling that we learned the Sugarland Best Western had simply changed the amount by a few pennies to avoid the stop payment and it went through, fraudulent pursuit by Best Western, and one that I intend to pursue.

This conversation was now taken over by me as my girlfriend and my dog had gotten in my truck to warm up. As I was in the hotel with Josh, I explained this would not be a problem with a full refund and he refused, absolutely avoiding all eye contact. I held up my room key and asked him if this key would still work? He insisted it had been deactivated, but I knew he was a liar. I marched to the room and let myself in. He chased me down the hall and followed my in. I explained that he had kicked my girlfriend out in such a manner that it was highly likely she had forgotten some things. Naturally, I found two IPhone chargers and a few other small items that would have been a significant loss while on the road. I invited Josh to join me to ensure I did nothing, but simply collect our own items that he had not given my girlfriend the chance to be sure nothing was left behind. After ensuring we had all of our items and determining that Josh was in no way going to discuss an amicable solution or refund, we left and checked into a La Quinta, which I would recommend over a Best Western to any traveler. My girlfriend has taken this conflict to the highest level possible once back home. Best Western Corporate – customer care has been no help whatsoever. The actions of these complete incompetent employees in Sugarland Texas speak for the entire brand of Best Western hotels. Any reasonable corporation would have admitted a miscommunication regarding the dog and perhaps a junior employee that didn't know the rules. An amicable solution was mere seconds away had it not been for the cowboy behavior of Josh, the night manager. I would not recommend Best Western Sugar Land or any Best Western – they are a not for profit corporation their customers are there members – hotel owners and not the customers who actually pay and stay at their hotels.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Dear Traveler,

In regards to your comments concerning the property, its policies and staff, please note that you brought a pet into your guest room. I have video surveillance showing the pet entering the guest room.

Due to our no pet policy, you were asked to vacate the premises. You agreed to our no pet policy by signing the registration card (which has been emailed to you). Our pet policy is noted in various places throughout the hotel: registration cards (which is signed and initialed by each guest), guest room signs as well as the guest directories.

Again, we apologize for the inconvenience you encountered. It was not our intention to provide a negative experience about our property however you had no regard to our policies.

Thank you again for your feedback.
Romeo, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

All good only draw back the room television dated could use new HDTV the place is super clean and was close to our friends house,the jacuzzi was not hot but staff got it going for us to spend a relaxing night soaking

• Stayed December 2012
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

If staying in the Sugarland, Richmond, New Territory, First Colony area this is a well-priced hotel in a great location. Minutes from Highway 59 and can reach Katy in about 15. Friendly and helpful staff, free breakfast, free internet, and even offer free happy hour with beer and wine. The rooms were large offering a microwave and fridge. In a quiet location just behind a shopping center in walking distance to retailers such as Starbucks, Subway, Chili's, HEB, Chick-fi-la, Baskin Robbins and many more.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2012

Wonderful hotel. Very new. Staff was extremely helpful and friendly. Well worth the extra money to stay here compared to other hotels nearby. Good breakfast. Free wine and beer at daily happy hour. Won't stay anywhere else!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Cave Creek AZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

This hotel is very well kept. The only "strange" thing....in our room, someone had placed a washcloth over the smoke detector (housekeeping SHOULD have seen this)...we did inform the desk clerk .... our room was non-smoking, obviously someone had chosen to smoke in the room.

We were given bottles of water upon check-in which we appreciated after a day on the road. The breakfast area was not very "cozy", but spotlessly clean, good breakfast also.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends

Been to BEST WESTERN Sugarland Inn? Share your experiences!