“Started out good, now not so much” 2 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Mia Bella is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #102 of 278 Restaurants in Sugar Land
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: HWAY 6
Sugar Land
“Started out good, now not so much”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

When Mia Bella opened in Sugar Land, it was great, the food was really good, service on top of things. Recently it has gone downhill. Went yesterday, still not good. My chicken was pounded so thin it was like trying to cut boot leather. Mashed potatoes were dry and grainy. Spinach was barely there and tasteless. My friend ordered a dish she's ordered many times, but they had changed it and not for the better. My husband loves the tilapia dish, but I've gotten to where I would rather go elsewhere. Sad, too, cause it used to be really good.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Houston
“Great Choice for a Sunday Brunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Mia Bella has a varied and interesting Sunday brunch menu with the food both tasty and beautifully presented. With a group of 12, we were able to sample many of the menu offerings including various takes on Eggs Benedict. I ordered the fish of the day - redfish - with a wonderful cream sauce with capers, sun dried tomatoes and a hint of mustard. The dining room is very attractive and there is also seating on the outside patio. It was a great choice for our extended family to get together for brunch.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Rome, Italy
“Excellent service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

From the moment you step into Mia Bella you will feel very welcome, and this continues throughout the service. The service is exceptional and our waiter was super despite it being a busy Friday evening service. The wine selection is fantastic with a large selection of US as well as Italian wines. The food is also very good. My only gripe is that my pasta was overcooked and was stuck together. My husband had the lamb chop and really enjoyed it and our starters were superb. We will definitely be back...

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Houston, Texas
“Good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

Celebrated a friend's birthday here on a recent Friday night. Our waitress Lauren was very attentive and answered all of our silly questions. We all enjoyed our meals and cocktails. This is our second time here and I would go back again. Plenty of choices on the menu. The only weird thing was our friend had 2 mojitos and was told that they ran out of mint so she couldn't have a third one!

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Sugar Land, Texas
“Excellent Food - Lousy Waiter”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

Excellent Food - Lousy Waiter
Based on true stories from fellow Yelpers
Now playing in Sugar Land, Texas
Monday matinee
Cast of characters - Self, Wife, Hostess, Busboy, Marco - manager, Melinda - waitress, Percy - waiter

Ratings:
Ambiance - 5/5
Cleaniness - 5/5
Service - 2/5
Food - 5/5
Overall - 4/5

Jan 2 was a holiday and my wife and I decided to have our 31st anniversary lunch a day early. I wanted to go to a new restaurant in Sugar Land. As usual, I started with Yelp and decided on Mia Bella. We walked in and were greeted and seated by the hostess. She put a couple of laminated lunch menus in front of us, took care of asking for water with lemon for both of us and left. No one showed up for a while. Marco came over and asked if we were ready to order. We were not and he left.

The tables on either side were being served by Melinda who brought bread baskets and olive oil dip for those diners. We looked for our invisible waitperson to bring us the same. I asked my wife to order the tilapia for me, used the facilities and came back. Percy had taken our order and my wife had decided on making her own pasta. Then Percy became invisible as we probably were to him.

After about 7 minutes, I asked the passing hostess if we were an overflow table without an assigned waiter. I also brought her attention to the fact that Melinda had brought bread to our neighbors and even refilled one basket. Busboy brought the missing bread and oil. While we enjoyed the bread, Melinda had attended to our neighbors to an extent where I had to complement her.

After a reasonable wait, Percy brought our entrees along with red pepper flakes and cheese. He left and we dove into our excellent food. The tilapia was a good size and hot, the risotto that it sat on was piping hot, the veggies fresh and the lemon basil caper sauce delicious. My wife's linguine with olives, spinach, julienne veggies and roasted red pepper sauce was as hot and delicious and visually beautiful.

Once the plates had been cleared Marco brought me a comment card which I filled up. The comment card did not room for this. Mia Bella had a 3 course lunch special for $10.95. Choice of appetizer, entree and dessert. No one had given us that menu which we saw later on the adjacent tables. We definitely lost out on that one.

Percy did not bring me the check and I had to ask Marco. We paid, said bye to Marco, Melinda and hostess and left. I mentioned to Melinda that next time I would ask for her table.

• Visited January 2012