“Predetermined tastings” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 8 things to do in Stonewall
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Pedernales Cellars - the quintessential Texas boutique winery. Featuring award-winning wines, tours of the largest underground barrel cellar in Texas, and breathtaking views of the Hill Country from the patio.
3 attraction reviews
“Predetermined tastings”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I don't know how others who wrote reviews here got 9 tasting for $13 when I only had 5 for $13 on a preselected menu, mostly reds, which I do not like. I want to be able to taste the wines I want to, not what the winery wants me to taste. Our tasting lasted less than 5 minutes. They do have a beautiful patio (hot) with piano music. We stayed 5 minutes on the patio and left disappointed and won't go back

Julie K, Owner at Pedernales Cellars, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Thank you for visiting. Your review concerns me very much because the five tasting menu is only available for tour groups and is paid for by the tour operator. If you were charged $12.95 for this menu, it was in error and we would like to refund the charge. Please contact me at wine@pedernalescellars,com if indeed you were mischarged in this fashion. As for your concern that you were only able to stay a short time, if you were with a tour group, they unfortunately run on a schedule over which we have little influence. If not, please do feel welcome to visit again and stay longer to enjoy the music that we have on the deck almost every Saturday afternoon.

Houston, TX
15 attraction reviews
“Not sure about this one”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

So much potential but not sure if I’d go back. We had a very knowledgeable and engaging server. She was a pleasure to talk to. They give you 9 tastes for $13 which I think is way too many. And they do the measured 1 ounce pour which drives me crazy. It is very difficult to observe and get a good nose on a wine with 1 ounce. I would rather they allow you to taste 4-5 wines but with a decent pour. Especially for the reds. You just can’t properly observe the wine with such a miniscule pour. I get that they get a certain type of person that comes in to drink as much as they can (particularly when they tell you that all of the 1 ounce pours will yield a whole glass of wine) but what about the people that come in and genuinely want to learn about and properly taste the wine and have no problem pouring out the excess? At least give the option of a private tasting. That being said, we liked many of the wines we tasted (not observed or smelled) and ended up buying 6 bottles at over $200. How much of our two $13 tasting fees were waived? Not one dollar. Huge pet peeve. We’ve tasted wines in many places around the world and short of a few places in Napa and Burgundy, many will refund some part of your tasting fee.

Julie K, Owner at Pedernales Cellars, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Thank you for visiting Pedernales Cellars. I am glad to hear that your server was knowledgeable and engaging. As for the way we structure our tasting menu, we are aware that we offer more wines than the average, and that has meant offering smaller quantities of each wine. We want people to be able to taste the full range of what we make. It is a trade-off, and we appreciate that knowledgeable customers like yourselves will want to immediately dive into a more intensive experience of Texas wine. Please enjoy the wines that you have purchased and please consider visiting us again.
Houston, Texas
10 attraction reviews
“Delightful Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

We stopped by on our way to a stay in Fredericksburg and what a nice diversion it was. The young woman conducting the tasting was such a joy. You could tell that she really loves her work and was very knowledgeable about wine in general and their wines in particular. After a delightful experience with her we went on a tour of the in ground wine brewery. I learned so much from this, terms I've heard, like "oaked wines" now make sense to me. It was a wonderful experience!

Julie K, Owner at Pedernales Cellars, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Thank you very much for going out of your way to visit us. Hope you enjoyed your stay in Fredericksburg, and please do visit again.
League City, Texas
3 attraction reviews
“Beautiful winery, subpar experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

A host at another winery suggested we visit Pedernales Cellars for an award-winning wine. Their advertisements highlight the scenery, which is indeed beautiful. They were the only winery to include nine tastes, but they were VERY small tastes--hardly enough to get a good idea of the wine. I was disappointed that our host seemed to know absolutely nothing about the wines she was sharing with us. I am certainly not someone intelligent enough to ask difficult questions, but she knew nothing (example: she couldn't explain why their tempranillo wines all tasted so different). For most people (like the ones in the limo tours, on stop #14), this probably wouldn't matter. But for us it was a disappointment.

Julie K, Owner at Pedernales Cellars, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Thank you for visiting Pedernales Cellars. I wanted to respond to the question that you mentioned in your review. Our tempranillos taste differently because they are sourced from different vineyards and/or handled differently in the cellar. For example, the Texas Hill Country Tempranillo is sourced entirely from the Texas Hill Country, where we get stronger spice flavors than we do from fruit from the high plains. Another example is the Texas Tempranillo Reserve, which has richer, heavier flavors in part because it is aged longer, and in part because it is blended with a small amount of Touriga Nacional, a grape varietal traditionally used in Port. I do hope you will consider returning to enjoy the view and wines again.
New Braunfels, Texas
“Great winery and wonderful people.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

The winery is very beautiful on a hill in Fredricksburg Tx. The people working there are very friendly and helpful. The wine is outstanding! Outdoor seating for those who want to linger with live music!

Visited May 2013
Julie K, Owner at Pedernales Cellars, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Thank you for your visit. We are glad you had an enjoyable time, and look forward to seeing you back again.