“Pretty darned good breakfast tacos” 4 of 5 stars

281-499-9288
Improve this listing
Ranked #44 of 90 Restaurants in Stafford
Texas Gulf Coast, Texas
“Pretty darned good breakfast tacos”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

I've been going to Taquitos Cafeteria for my breakfast tacos in SW Houston for about 20 years now; actually ever since I moved away from "the Valley" (the Rio Grande Valley that is). You can order rather authentic tacos as simple as bean and bacon all the way to barbacoa or my favorite, carne guisada. My only issue is that the flour tortillas are store bought vs. homemade by an 'Ama de la casa' in the kitchen.

Taquitos Cafeteria is open 7 days a week for breakfast & lunch. They open at 6 AM and close at 2 pm. Parking can be rather chaotic, as they share a parking lot with a shopping strip center and the lot seems to have more holes than the Swiss cheese I bought last week at my local grocer's.

This is cafeteria food, so the main choices for your tacos are on display behind a counter as you make your way towards the line. It used to be a cash only establishment, but now they will accept a debit / credit card IF your total is $5 or more.

My only real complaint over the years is that the ladies assembling your tacos are so darned slow. Just today I arrived at shortly after 8 am, and thought on a Tuesday (mid-week) that I would be in & out in no time flat. Boy was I wrong as they only had one woman making tacos and she was bringing tortillas out about 2 or 3 at a time. Just walking back and forth for more tacos took more time than waiting on the customers.

It turns out that 2 other women were I guess just hanging out in the kitchen, in spite of the growing line of customers. I nearly gave up and probably would have, had it not been for the fact that I had already brought some shredded Mexican cheese from home to sprinkle on top of my carne guisada tacos and it would not keep in y car in the hot Texas sun.

If I actually want a made to order Mexican breakfast plate, I go to Taqueria Mexicano Grille which shares the parking lot with Taquitos Cafeteria. However if I have a craving for carne guisada tacos, I go to Taquitos Cafeteria as they are much better here than at the Mexicano Grille (the guisada {gravy} is much better at the Taquitos Cafeteria, that is).

Buen provecho!