Note - I submitted this to the property via their website and did not get a reply. Maybe someone will read it here.
We checked in on 7/3. Parked in the parking lot and walked the 150 yards up the temporary drive in the heat. Couldn't figure out where to go so asked a maintenance man for directions. He spoke no English, but got me to the front desk where there were there were five Peninsula employees lounging around. I checked in and asked for a ride out to the car and a bellman to help with the luggage. Everyone pointed fingers at someone else to be the one to have to get up and help.
We eventually got up to the room and got settled in and headed out to the beach. We had a great time at the beach and decided to get some food at the restaurant on site. We went to the shower station to rinse the sand off of our feet to find that there was about an inch of sand under the showers and half of the sprayers didn’t work. We rinsed in the pool like everyone else evidently does seeing as how there's sand all over the bottom by the end of the day.
The restaurant was good. We were the only people in the entire place at 6PM on July 3rd, but the food and service were good. This was the first of several times that we were sales targets and invited to the timeshare meetings. I have NO intention of owning a timeshare. These sales pitches were a constant annoyance and not something I expected when I booked this place.
After dinner we headed up to our room, 402A. It was 77 degrees inside the room. A/C was set at 69 and there was no cold air blowing. I called the front desk and they sent maintenance up to the room. They guy spoke no English, I mean he couldn't even say "I don't speak English". So he radioed to the front desk and they called me to say that they had replaced a compressor on the roof today and that the room should be cooling off in 45 minutes or so and to call back if it didn't. I didn't believe this, but what was I going to do. Sure enough, the room did not cool off 45 minutes later, so I called back. Now they said that they had to add Freon and I should wait another 45 minutes. Cool air started blowing eventually, but the unit did not fully cool until after 1AM. My mother slept on the sofa in the living room because it was unbearable anywhere without a ceiling fan. **They sold me a room that was having the ac replaced the day we checked in.**
On Friday we woke up and headed to the beach and had a great time. It was really a good day. We heard one more sales pitch while sitting by the pool and had a few more invitations to the sales breakfast but overall, we were happy. Our two year old was tired, so instead of going to see the fireworks, we opted to eat in the room and relax. At 5PM the music started. They had hired a DJ for the holiday weekend ~ for the 15 people out by the pool. The speakers were pointed from the bar directly at our room and it was so loud that they might as well have been in the room. The music lasted for four hours until 9. The music lasted until 9:00. We had a three bedroom condo, and it wasn’t quiet enough anywhere in there for my daughter to fall asleep until after the music stopped.
I called down to order 3 burgers, a salad, and two pieces of cheesecake. Went down to pick it up and it was $66 despite the special that was going on - $6 burgers. I guess the special was not for to go orders.
Saturday morning, checkout. I called and requested two carts because we had a lot of luggage. The guy (who also spoke 0 English) showed up with one cart, and I told him that we’d need another. He ran off while we loaded ourselves on the cart that was there. He showed back up with a WHEELBARROW. It looked like something you would haul trash in, not luggage. We were ready to get out, so we loaded the rest of our stuff in there and he wheeled it downstairs and took off. My wife had to walk the 150 yards out to get the car, the shuttles were never around when you needed them. My mother did ask for a ride, and the guy who took her was a complete jerk. He could not have cared less about her complaint about the wheelbarrow. We had no help loading the car.
At $600+ per night this was completely and utterly unacceptable and absurd. I would never consider staying here again, much less buying in as an owner of this place. I’d like someone to contact me with some kind of reply.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled among the sea oats and sand dunes, and highlighted by the blue of the Gulf of Mexico, The Peninsula Island Resort and Spa South Padre Island, Texas is the perfect venue for a relaxing island escape. Located directly on the beach in the heart of South Padre Island's "hotel row", our upscale property opened in 2006, and combines the highest standards in construction with contemporary, tasteful design. The units are all well-appointed, and range in size from our very popular studio kitchenette units to our 3 bedroom/3 bath condominiums. With concrete walls, porcelain tile flooring, and leather furniture, our resort was designed to resist to mold, humidity and allergens all-too-often common near the sea. Our swimming pool is the largest infinity pool in South Texas, and features a convenient swim up bar. Each offers either a full kitchen or kitchenette, and everything else necessary to cook and serve a gourmet meal. If cooking is not your thing, Las Olas Restaurant Grill and Bar, located onsite, is considered by many to be one of the best restaurants on South Padre Island, and offers a variety of delicious homemade dishes available for in-room dining. All-in-all, the Peninsula is in a league of its own--offering the spacious luxury of a condominium, coupled with the service and appointments of an upper-tier resort hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Peninsula Island Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Peninsula Island Hotel South Padre Island
- Peninsula Island Resort And Spa
- Peninsula South Padre Island
- South Padre Island Peninsula