“Best Hotel In South Padre!!! Very Satisfied!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Peninsula Island Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Peninsula Island Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Peninsula Island Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   340 Padre Blvd. and Hwy 100, South Padre Island, TX 78597   |
Ranked #20 of 33 Hotels in South Padre Island
Austin, Texas
“Best Hotel In South Padre!!! Very Satisfied!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

I go to SPI twice a year and have stayed in many hotels, by far this is the best! It has luxurious rooms, the spa is great (a bit pricy), and so is the pool. My family was very satisfied.
We stayed in one of the 3 room presidential suites and had plenty of space. The kitchen is complete, outstanding furniture and the room was clean.
They have a great location and the beach is beautiful. We didn't have the chance to try the restaurant, but i heard it's good.
The parking lot is kind of far from the buildings, but they have staff with golf carts to give you a ride.

That's all I have to say, I highly recommend this place, had a pleasant stay and I'll probably stay there again.

Room Tip: Call few weeks prior, they get fully booked in holidays.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
CustServProPeninsula, General Manager at Peninsula Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
We thank you immensely for having taken the time to share your positive experience on Trip Advisor. We value you as a guest, and hope to be able to see you again soon! Happy Holidays!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Washington,DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Just got back from a week in late Nov.; enjoyed the beach, calm ocean most days and temps in the 80s. Read some of the negative reviews before we went, but couldn't pass up a 3BR timeshare exchange right on the beach within driving distance. They gave us a handicap unit since my 95 yr-old mother was with us and it had a huge kitchen plus big walk-in shower she could use. Another plus is washer and dryer in the unit and outside showers at the pool to wash off sand. Our granddaughters loved the hot tubs and they accommodated us by turning down the temp. Unfortunately the pool temp in Dec. way too cold for us, although the pool is beautiful. Too bad they don't heat it for off season. We never used restaurant everyone raves about as it closed at 2:30 pm. Parking lot distance a nuisance but you can drive up to unload and we used golf cart service to take Mom to elevator. Biggest negative was when I called for maid service for Thurs am and was told they would come, but when I called back after no one showed, I was told they didn't provide maid service for timeshare exchanges. But before they had told me there would be a charge that I agreed to. They still didn't come, so I just cancelled and tried to clean myself. No broom in the unit and some basic items missing from kitchen, as other reviews note.

Room Tip: The "Presidential suites" are great for families; 2nd floor still has nice ocean view.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
CustServProPeninsula, Manager at Peninsula Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 22, 2012
We thank you very much for such a thorough, yet fair review. While there are service limitations that exist for time share exchanges, we simply adhere to the policies set forth by the hoa committee. if you were to rent a room from the hotel facet of this establishment, you would receive daily cleaning and towel service. We do also apologize for the limited restaurant hours--during the off season on SPI, most restaurants limit hours and staff in order to survive a drastic drop in business. We appreciate your understanding in this regard, and hope to see you again soon!
La Feria, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Stayed for a weekend at the Peninsula. Really nice pool but the rooms are just okay. The walk to the hotel from the parking lot is about a 1/4 of a mile. The sheets and the pillows in the rooms are from a low grade best western and the rooms all need to be touched up. The blinds were broken in the room so at night we could not close them in order to get privacy or block out the light. The rooms smell like old condos and there is just nothing impressive about this place. If you are looking for just a place to sleep than stay here. By the way, I live in the area and I just want you to know the two best places to eat are Yummies Bistro for an American breakfast, Manuel's in Port Isabel for a Mexican breakfast taco and the Sea Ranch for dinner. The one hidden gem to eat at for lunch or dinner is the Palm Cafe, located at the little Palm Resort Motel right on the beach. They have the best fresh seafood shrimp and red snapper fish basket. Nothing else compares to this on the island. If you go eat at Dirty Al's or Daddy's you are not eating fish from the area but stuff caught in Vietnam. You will taste the difference. The Palm is the only cafe on the beach with a beautiful view. I don't really like saying this due to the fact that its a nice quiet place and don't want it over run to the point where you cant get in......try it.

Room Tip: Try the Hilton Garden Inn on the North Side of Island, has Claytons beach bar right next door.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
We thank you very much for your candid response, and assure you that we are constantly trying to strive to improve our hotel. Open in 2006, our hotel was designed to offer contemporary, clean comfort. our floors are tiles, our furniture is leather--carpets and porous surfaces often cultivate years of molds and allergens. Our buildings are concrete, as well, to avoid mold growth. The sheets, which we use standard, are of a high thread count, and pillows anti-allergenic. We mention this because, to some locals who might be accustomed to see older hotels with floral carpeting and velour furniture, ours might seem less comfortable--however, we try to provide a clean, comfortable environment designed to endure for generations.
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

I had purchased a 2 day stay from Travel Zoo which included a $50 food and $50 spa credit. We arrived at the Hotel around 1:30 PM on Sunday November 4th and attempted to check in early. We entered the office and we were greeted not with a welcome smile but almost like we were intruding. We were told check in was not until 4 PM. I asked if we could possibly get our room expediated and was told in a monotone voice they would call us. We noticed approx. 4 cars parked in the lot so I was a bit surprised a little more enthusiastic service was not offered. We received a call at 3:35 advising us our room was ready.

After arriving in our room the remote to the television was not working so I attempted to call the front desk. The office answered the phone but they could not hear from so after several attempts I finally went to the office. A new remote was delivered.

The next day we decided to use our food credit at the hotel restaurant. We entered at 9:00 AM and were the only customers there. Quite frankly, the coffee appeared to be several days old and was one of the worst cups I have ever had. The breakfast came out cold and tasteless. My wife remarked since we were the only customers there how could the food not be hot. Again, one of the worst meals we ever had. It was so bad we decided not to even use the balance of our food credit.We attempted to make coffee in our room but could not locate a coffee maker. Again, I went down to the front desk and asked if the room was suppossed to have a coffee maker and was told 'Yes'. I advised him ours did not. A coffee maker was sent up minus coffee and condiments so I once again had to back to the office and request coffee filters/cream/sugar.

The next day music came on loud and clear by the pool at 7:00 AM which I guess was better than a wake up call. From my perspective I fail to see the need to have music piped on so early.
When we returned later in the day our room was cleaned however once again no coffee filter/condiments was left.

Check out time is at 11:00 AM and due to a spa appointment we requested an extension. I was told we could have until 11;30. I asked if we could extend it till noon and was told I could but I will be charged if any later.

All 4 front desk employees I dealt with had the same robotic attitude and appeared to be annoyed complying with customer requests. Some other perspectives; Spa is not warm and the towels are not soft.

I come to the island on both business and pleasure and have stayed at many different hotels but the service here leaves a lot to be desired and it is without a doubt not a so-called 5 star Hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
CustServProPeninsula, Manager at Peninsula Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
I'd like to thank you for your frank feedback, and would like to personally apologize to you for the inconveniences faced. Though check-in time is clearly posted at 4pm, and you were accommodated prior to that, our customer service representative reps should have been much more welcoming. We will focus on retraining and thank you for having brought this to our attention.
ATX
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

This was my Husband and I first time to stay at this hotel. The best part about this trip was that this hotel was right on the beach for easy access. We checked in to see our room and it was average. We have stayed in better hotels than this. There was rust everywhere. So we thought OK lets go get our stuff. The walk from our room to the parking lot is about 1 football field. The week went by and we were not impressed at all. We were ready to check into our other hotel because we decided to extend our stay. The staff (except the receptionist) didn't know any English. It made it really hard when we had a problem. Needless to say We agreed when we come back to SPI, we are not staying here. This is not a Five star Hotel maybe a One Star.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
CustServProPeninsula, Manager at Peninsula Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
We appreciate your feedback, and thank you for having taken the time to post your review. While it is true that there is a space of land in front of our property, this land is where construction of a new tower is soon to commence. We do offer golf cart rides to our guests, and guests have the ability to park next to one of our buildings in order to unload baggage. We apologize for the inconvenience, in this regard. The walk from our parking lot to your room, nevertheless, is often a shorter distance than that of most parking garages to other hotels on South Padre, and your cars are protected by entry gates and video camera security.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

Today is October 7th 2012...three of us checked in about 3 hours ago. We would like to check out SPI even with the rain but we can't leave our room because our front door doesn't lock, good thing we noticed before walking out. We've called the front desk and walked down there personally however approximately 1 1/2 hours later we are still waiting for maintenance. The hot tub is empty, the wi-fi sucks...I'm posting this from my phone....and there are ants in the condo. Yes apparently ants like the 5th floor. Do not even think about staying here, run as fast as you can.

• Stayed October 2012
We apologize for your adverse experience while staying at our hotel. In this case, the lock's reader system did require replacement of batteries. As for ants, you will find that our property is one of the most aggressive in terms of sustaining an effective extermination program. Previous reviews seldom mention insect problems, something that is often a problem with most hotels in the area. In our defense, we did tend to your needs immediately, and while we could not control the weather, hope that the remainder of your stay was favorable. Nevertheless, we earnestly apologize for your inconvenience.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012 via mobile

This is not a luxury hotel as advertised and is not worth $300 to $500 a night. We checked in, saw our room and the dilapidating exterior and checked out!! Do not stay here. The place is filthy and under staffed. Our room had black mold in the kitchen area and dirt and human hair in the bathroom. Rust everywhere!!!

• Stayed September 2012
CustServProPeninsula, General Manager at Peninsula Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
We are sorry that your room did not live up to your expectations. However, in fairness, we had offered you an upgrade to a 3 bedroom unit, for the same price, in an oceanfront room.

Been to Peninsula Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!