“Beautiful Rooms!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Peninsula Island Resort & Spa

You added Peninsula Island Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Peninsula Island Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   340 Padre Blvd. and Hwy 100, South Padre Island, TX 78597   |
Ranked #20 of 33 Hotels in South Padre Island
Corpus Christi, Texas
“Beautiful Rooms!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed here for the SPI Bikefest in October. We purchased the room from Expedia for $120. When we arrived, it was a little confusing on how to get to the main office because the parking lot is separated from the resort by an open field. But since we were on a motorcycle, we just drove right on up to the building, so I don't have the complaints that others did about carrying luggage up the walk way. Check in was easy, the two ladies in the office were very nice. When we got to our room on the 4th floor, we were EXTREMELY suprised to find that we were given the Presidental Suite, it just being the two of us. We double checked with the front office and they confirmed that was our room. I thought the room was very nicely decorated and very spacious. Large kitchen, large living room, very large dining room table and fantastic balcony. There were balcony doors from the master bedroom, living room, and dining room. The balcony was L-shaped, so you could look out onto the water or the pool. I loved the room and thought it was a shame that we were spending less than 24 hours in it. The only issue with the room is that due to rust, the balcony doors didn't lock, so I was a bit concerned about that. Other than that, beautiful room! The pool area was so inviting, and the morning before we checked out, we did walk to the beach (great location for that!) and did use the pool...so refreshing and attractive patio furniture. We did not use the restaurant, bar, or spa so I can't comment on those amenities.

Just to address concerns that I read in previous posts, I didn't feel the elevator was slow, and yes, the doors are rusty, but that's what you get being on the coast. I live just up the coast from SPI and that's something we all deal with...the harsh salt air! As for having tile floors instead of carpet, I loved the tile floors! It being on the beach, it's easy to clean, and carpet is just unsanitary, not to mention the high humidity down there creates mold problems. And as hot as it gets in Texas, I certainly appreciate cool tile over carpet any day! I didn't interact with many employees, but the ladies at check in were very pleasant.

Overall, I would stay here again. It's a great location, a beautiful property, and great access to the beach.

Room Tip: The only full ocean view rooms are the 3bed/3 bath rooms. We just happened to get lucky in getting...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
CustServProPeninsula, Manager at Peninsula Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 2, 2011
We are extremely happy to hear that we were able to help make your vacation extra-special! We love to hear such great feedback, and hope to see you once again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Monterrey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2011

We traveled for a quick getaway weekend , I like the hotel . The staff was friendly
Now they have a nice price for activities at south padre island such as: Sunset Cruises , Deep Sea Fishing, Parasailing, Dolphin Watches or Eco Tours, etc.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
We thank you so much in recognizing our efforts to try and improve your vacation, beyond your accommodations at our hotel. We have worked hard to negotiate VIP activity packages for our guests with local companies that specialize in fishing tours, dolphin watches, parasailing, sunset cruises, et al. We realize that you come to this wonderful island for much more than just a nice place to stay and sleep. Our guests enjoy an average of 25% - 60% off retail pricing on such activities, and we will strive to broaden the discounted activities. We thank you very much for noticing, and hope that you come and see us again soon!
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2011

My wife and I live around the SPI. area, and wanted to spend our anniversary around here. when a friend told us to try the PENINSULA, "it's really nice" . They were wrong!!!! This Hotel was GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Pool it's beautiful, and the staff very nice.

Room Tip: corner suits are large and sunny
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
We thank you so very much for your positive feedback, and for your kind compliments. We strive to do everything possible to ensure that our guests have a great experience with us, and your comments reinforces the fact that our efforts are truly worth it. We hope to have you back soon, and are happy that you chose to stay with us, at the Peninsula!
austin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

My husband and I booked this property over the internet, after viewing pictures. We were under the impression that we were going to have an ocean view room. We were disappointed when we arrived as the pictures had been deceiving. The only ocean view rooms are there 3 bedrooms which we did not need. The parking lot is far away and inconvenient. The lay out of the property is awkward. Most of the rooms look out to other rooms and an open, undeveloped field. The rooms are stark white. The bed was hard and the linens were rough. The property is advertised as a resort but there is no resort feel what so ever! It feels more like a Motel. We booked 3 nights but left after the first. They kept the money for all 3 nights. Their policies are obviously more important than customer satisfaction. I would not recommend this property as there are too many others on South Padre Island that are much better.

Room Tip: If you want an ocean view you have to book a 3 bedroom
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
CustServProPeninsula, Manager at Peninsula Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 14, 2011
Please allow me to express our deepest regrets regarding your dissatisfaction with our property. I personally attended you, and, in fairness, we had offered you an upgrade from our least expensive room to our most expensive unit for a mere $80 more (for a total of only $180, for a unit normally 3X the price )--a 3 bedroom oceanfront Presidential condo unit. I would like to note that none of the issues mentioned were service issues, rather it seems that you had expected something different. The balcony that you describe overlooks the swimming pool, with a partial beach view; most hotel rooms on South Padre Island were designed to offer a 45 degree beach view, with the more expensive room types (ocean fronts) to be charged at a premium. Familiar with most of the local establishments, I can assure you that few offer a kitchen, handpainted art, italian ceramic flooring, and mosaic-tiled bathrooms (quite a value considering your rate was only $100 per night). Since your reservation was made through an affiliate website, we were unable to refund your balance, as would have been the case for any property. Truthfully, the confirmation never stated "ocean front" , which is a defined room-type. The decor is modern: with tiled floors and brazilian leather furniture, for in a marine environment carpeting and fabrics absorb humidity and cause the creation of mold spores. Sometimes this is not for anyone, but we try to maintain a higher level of cleanliness, which includes being able to prevent allergies and the accumulation of years of sand and salt. Again, we apologize that you did not like our property, despite the value and location.
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2011

I just returned from a mid-October stay for my sister-in-law's wedding. It was the worst place I have ever stayed! We all booked rooms months in advance; however, my sister-in-law's communication with them was not leaving us with much confidence, as it seemed they were very unorganized. They could not keep track of people's reservations. Luckily, we were made aware of this and printed the email confirmation and conversations before traveling there. When we arrived, they did not have us arriving on Friday, even though it was in our email with them. All of our rooms, except one couple who arrived first on Thursday, had been given away. They tried to talk whoever they could into rooming together in 2 or 3 bedroom suites, which is fine, except, married couples do not generally want to room with their father-in-laws or mother-in-laws. We refused. Other couples on the trip roomed together and had to fight to get the refunds on their rooms they did not reserve. The hotel actually charged a couple for their room they did not stay in as they stayed in a suite with another couple. So they charged for 2 rooms and only gave them 1. Pathetic! An entire wedding party was treated like this and never once did the hotel seem apologetic. They did not offer a coupon, free stay, free meal, or anything for the inconvenience that their horrible organizational skills caused to a wedding! Worst customer service I've ever seen! Even after they gave up a suite to us, which they told another member of the wedding party they did not have, they called up and asked if we would be checking out on Saturday. We told them for the 3rd or 4th time, no we have a confirmation printed that says we will be checking in Friday and leaving Sunday.

The so-called "front desk" is in the middle of the hotel. Whoever designed the place was a moron. The signs even pointed us in the wrong direction. It was a bit frustrating after a 6 hour drive and carrying heavy luggage to find the office to then be treated so badly.

The one elevator that works is extremely slow. There is a terrible smell walking to the elevator on one side of the complex. It is a long walk to the parking lot. The pool bar is closed and left looking disgusting. The restaurant and bar is only open for a few hours on a Friday, which is ridiculous. It says it opens at 5, but was closed around 5:30 still...so we had to go to another nicer hotel to hang out and relax with drinks. And I don't know what the other review I read was talking about, there is no room service here. The burger I did have from the restaurant was sub-par. Not many people could get online during the weekend here either as their internet connectivity was spotty at best.

In their own suites that are bigger and "nicer," they have not maintained anything, just like the pool bar. Apparently they'd rather let their facilities go to crap instead of keep them up. The bathroom mirror was chipped off at the bottom, leaving it looking terrible. My wife and I tried to use the jacuzi tub, but to no success as the button did nothing. The jets are broken.

After all of this, the staff refused unapologetically to keep the hot tub going for the after wedding party past 10 on a Saturday night. Ridiculous! We knew they were lying to us as each person that talked to the office received a different reason they "could not" turn it on.

Expect to see more of these reviews from us as every single person who attended this wedding and stayed at this hotel was angered. I believe the consensus was we were all going to let the world know NOT to stay here. You may not end up with a room and if you do, you'll still have a terrible stay!

Room Tip: They'll screw you anyways, so just stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
CustServProPeninsula, Manager at Peninsula Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 12, 2011
We are very sorry for the confusion regarding your reservation, and apologize for the logistical error that occurred. Unfortunately, due to duplicate bookings and same family names, there was some confusion at check-in. This is not a normal occurrence, and is not something that we have ever received a complaint about in the past. As you know, the wedding was not on site, so some of the details given to our staff was limited. A trainee inadvertently made an error due to identical last names. As for the pool bar--it is only opened from March through Labor Day, though we do have service poolside throughout the year. An issue had been reported with your party while at the jacuzzi, with champagne bottles and glass at the pool (glass is a city ordinance violation, and alcohol in the area is a State of Texas "TABC red zone violation), and with a rain storm that came in, we were unable to extend the pool/jacuzzi hours to your party. If not for the legalities, or safety issues with the weather, we would have cheerily allowed you to continue your celebration. On a separate note, however, several of the family members/attendees, did extend their stays, including the wedding couple (Mr. and Mrs. Powers), and have made great comments. Their aunt and uncle have also decided to stay several WEEKS longer than the initial weekend that they booked. It is our sincerest hope that, if given another chance, we can change the impression you have about Peninsula. We will happily invite you to come back, at a reduced rate, so as to try and change your mind, and in an effort to earn your business.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2011

My Wife and two children stayed a full week over the June weekend in a 2-bedroom suite w/ocean View. Before we even arrived, Maggie and team at front desk contacted us via email to answer questions we had, helped us w/rental car reservations, and gave us recommendations.

Great Restaurant Las Olas , they are specialize in Mexican seafood , delicious!!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
CustServProPeninsula, Manager at Peninsula Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 10, 2011
We thank you so much for your positive review! We are so glad to have been able to host your vacation, and extremely happy that you loved our property and our restaurant, Las Olas. We work hard to try to make each vacation incredible for our guests, and truly appreciate when we can help make your family vacation a great one. We hope to see you again soon!
Pharr, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

I had reserve via phone and used my credit card. When I got there, they didnt have nothing under my name. I had to wait 15 minutes for the lady to get all my info. Luckily there were rooms still available. These people had charged my credit card but not reserved the room.
Only one elevator worked, which was super slow.
Oh, there's no free breakfast in the morning like the other hotels I've been.
Besides that, the swimming pool is great and the rooms are very nice.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
CustServProPeninsula, Manager at Peninsula Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 23, 2011
We thank you for your feedback, and apologize for any delays caused at check in. We have located the technical issue that led to a delay in processing your arrival, and have made every effort to remedy the situation. We also thank you for having commented positively on our rooms and swimming pool. Unfortunately, at that particular time, a second, brand new elevator was in the process of being installed. Unfortunately, we have no control over the speed of the elevators, as that is all calibrated based on regulatory guidelines, I am told. We promise to use your feedback as a basis on which to improve each of the aforereferenced issues.

Been to Peninsula Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!