“Beachside Inn aka Cockroach Inn” 1 of 5 stars

Beachside Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4500 Padre Blvd, South Padre Island, TX 78597   |
Ranked #16 of 33 Hotels in South Padre Island
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
“Beachside Inn aka Cockroach Inn”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Dirty, filthy, yucky... Bedspreads have holes, sheets are worn thin. I heated up some water for coffee and a cockroach ran out of the microwave. I reported it to the manager who promptly moved me to a different room and said he would spray. Room #2: went to plug my computer into my charger, and when I moved stuff on the desk saw another cockroach. I reported it at the front desk, and they didn't seem the least bit surprised. When I checked out the following morning, several days early, the manager did agree to refund my money, after he angrily commented that he'd never had complaints before. Upon visiting with other guests on the property, they said they had been killing bugs in their rooms, but hadn't realized what kind of bugs they were.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Kanata, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We booked this hotel on a shoestring budget. It was better than I expected as it was very clean. The staff were friendly and polite. Normally they charge for the pillow, but since there was only two pillows on a king bed, I was able to get them to give us one extra pillow. The room was clean, however the bathroom was dated and could use some updating. The room was a bit crowded; a single King bed barely fit. However the benefits much outweighed the drawbacks.
I liked how fellow guests enjoyed the public areas; the Winter Texans were very nice and polite. It really made me feel at home. Best of all, breakfast included crock pots filled with fresh hot buscuits, gravy, sausages and eggs with cheese. This was hands down the best breakfast we had all trip. I would definitely book it again, but bring my own pillow if I wanted more.

Room Tip: The single King room we booked was very tight. The TV was perched high on top of a wardrobe replaci...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Harlingen, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

Ok first of all there ARE refrigerators and microwaves, at leastthe in the room we stayed in, also showers in the bathtubs. Clean rooms nice housekeeping, but no extra blankets or pillows, they charge 5 extra dollars for a pillow! Also no blowdryer or iron in rooms. Continental breakfast is cereal and toast but if you come in expecting where it is you'll be fine!

• Stayed August 2012
McAllen, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

Pay attention to first impressions. Trash in parking lot, stairway, elevator and hallways. Strong smell of bleach in the lobby and through out hotel. Room appeared clean, however found hairs in tub along with roaches. Took over five minutes for front desk to acknowledge me and no one else was present. Very poor customer service and property very poorly maintained. Owners and staff should watch a few episodes of Hotel Impossible. There's no excuse for lack of cleanliness and poor customer service.

Room Tip: Book at another hotel.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for an impromptu Valentine's Day mini vacation in February. While the hotel was average, I did find it to be very clean and comfortable. The room small but I didn't expect much more for the price. Great location, walking distance to great restaurants and the beach. The pool was very refreshing and jacuzzi hot, although the view from was less than desirable being right on the strip across from police station. All in all, for the off season rate, I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed February 2012
Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

reserved two rooms for two nights, but once we checked in and saw the condition of the property we cancelled our stay, paid the cancellation fee and found rooms elsewhere on the island. If you are used to Hampton/Fairfield/LaQuinta/Holiday Inn Express level accomodations, you will be sorely disappointed here.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Eagle Pass, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

our stay on was horrible. the staff was rude and illiterate. the hotel wreaked like it was dirty. the room itself is old and very outdated. comforter on bed had holes and was dingy. sofa bed mattress had huge nasty brown stains and when we asked for another sheet to layer the mattress for my daughters to sleep in they questioned it and gave us a hard time. gets better, at 3:30 in the morning, i felt something crawl on my face. i swiped it off had my husband turn on the lights to find that it was a huge roach. these people are dirty. i would not even have my dogs sleep in these conditions. next time, we will pay a little extra to get alot more. good luck for those of you who plan on staying. when i confronted them about our incident, there was no reaction from front desk. guess this is normal...

Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Been to Beachside Inn? Share your experiences!