“Not a bad stay” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Casa Bella Resort

You added Casa Bella Resort to your Saves list
Casa Bella Resort
5601 Padre Blvd, South Padre Island, TX 78597 (Formerly Casa Bella Resort Hotel)   |
Ranked #23 of 33 Hotels in South Padre Island
Texas
“Not a bad stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I forgot to make a reservation where we usually stay for the weekend so when we arrived at the island we had to go by various hotels in search of vacancy. The receptionist at Casa Bella said they had only 2 rooms left (king bed with jacuzzi), one of those had a messed up fridge, but everything else in the room was good. They said we could take that room for $99 a night (as opposed to $149). We took it.

Staff service: The lady at the reception desk was very nice. We didn't need to interact with staff much, which is probably a good sign. No major issues.

Continental breakfast: Was not at all impressive. They also had a sign that said guests are not allowed to take breakfast to the rooms, but their breakfast area is tiny! They only have one table with some chairs and another cramped area with some chairs. The sign even said if they found signs of breakfast in the rooms, they would charge an extra $5 on your bill. This really upset me. They also have two small tables outside. I really didn't like that they won't let you take breakfast to the room. They did have those Texas waffles I like. :) A

Room condition: The room was alright. It was not dirty. The jacuzzi looked clean enough, but we didn't use it (I have a thing against using public pools, jacuzzies, and such...that's just me). The bed was not all that great...I could feel the springs, but not so much that I couldn't sleep. The room was comfortably large. The bed didn't have enough pillows and the pillows were flimsy.

Overall, had I paid the full price, $149, I would have been unhappy about the bed and continental breakfast. It wasn't bad, but I will only stay there again if I forget to make reservations where I usually stay.

Note: I must say it was odd that when we arrived, the receptionist lady said they were full and only had 2 rooms left, but the next morning a different receptionist mentioned they didn't have a lot of people staying there that weekend. I'm not sure what to make of that.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Corpus Christi, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

Upon entering the room, the first item that was a concern, the smoke alarm was beeping. The air conditioner was set so cold that we had to turn it off and open the door to warm up the room. There was a back door and window that were both unlocked, so we secured both of them. We couldn't get the lights to work over the beds so another call to the front desk. One of the beds had torn sheets. The next morning we found bed bugs on the mattress. The staff was concerned when we spoke to them about it. They are supposed to have a continental breakfast at 8:00 am but when we arrived at 8:20 we couldn't even get coffee. They were not prepared.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

Let's start with the worst of this unbelievable nightmare. On the 6th day of a 7 day hotel stay we discovered that under a clean pillow case there was a pillow that been soaked with blood that had dried. We slept on that pillow for 5 nights. The room was musty, mildewed and smelled of smoke. The shower had a handle dangling from the wall. The hot tub was dirty and stained. The breakfast communal economy sized tub of margarine had a puddle of rancid liquid in the bottom and crumbs from other guests. There was no housekeeping for 6 days. We took our dirty towels to the Office every day for clean towels, mat and toilet paper. The bed was never made. The linens never changed. The dirty, stained rug was never vacuumed. The first 4 days the key cards didn't work and we had to go to the office each time we wanted to get into our room. One night we returned to our room and the office was locked. We had to call and wait 30 minutes to get into our room. The remote for the TV was missing. The button for the channel selector was missing. I asked for a different room the first day and the manager refused despite there being only 3 other rooms occupied. We left the Inn on the 6th day and I received a refund for the entire week. That hardly compensated us for what we went thru on what was supposed to be a windsurfing vacation. The only reason we stayed as long as we did, it was a couple blocks from the windsurfing rental. Oh yes, we are 2 responsible adults 60 yrs. old. We will pursue all options available to us in this situation. We'll start with the Corporate Office. And then.............?

Room Tip: The rooms are terrible, filthy, ill maintained, a health hazard.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012 via mobile

NO SLEEP :( BEDS SUCK........got screwed over 150$ CRAPPY MATTRESSES, all they offered was to change to another crappy mattress\Room. Had to take out our sleeping bags to sleep on. DO NOT COME HERE! 0300....sleepless customer.

• Stayed July 2012
Tyler, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

I stayed here for a week during the off season, Feb 2012. The weekly rate was the best Ive ever had and the staff was friendly and helpful. My room was very clean and the bed was comfortable. I had a wonderful time and I will stay there again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2011 via mobile

We drive into the hotel on a jam packed memorial day weekend and they're empty... That's weird, this is why. We got our room keys and headed up to the room and smack!! You are hit my a moldy wet smelling room. Hearing how bad the reviews were of the managers charging people for dirty rooms an towels( you even sign a rental agreement on this) I decided to take pictures of everything dirty or wrong with the room here's what I found... Dirty towels, only a bar of soap no toiletries ( thank god we packed our own) the lamp shades had an inch of dust and dirt on them, marker/paint/scuffs and marks all over the walls, dirty severely stained desk chair, and a spit ball on our wall... The place looks nothing like the pictures they show, there was no breakfast, far from the beach. The next two nights we stayed at suites and sunchase and it was amazing!!! A bit more expensive but very nice staff , rooms, and beds! If you see this hotel please save yourself and keep driving...

• Stayed May 2011
rubenreyes, Manager at Casa Bella Resort, responded to this review, June 24, 2011
I am so sorry to see that you did not enjoy your stay, I have looked at the issues that you mentioned and have met with my staff, and have made sure that they have been resolved. I hope that you stay with us again so that we may show you what true guest service is all about.

Ernest

Been to Casa Bella Resort? Share your experiences!