“WORST HOTEL EXPERIENCE EVER!!!” 1 of 5 stars

You added La Copa Inn Beach Hotel to your Saves list
La Copa Inn Beach Hotel
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   350 Padre Blvd., South Padre Island, TX 78597   |
South Padre Island, Texas
“WORST HOTEL EXPERIENCE EVER!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2011

Let me begin by saying that I am NOT a public "complainer". I have never written a review before and never complain unless I believe 100% that I am in the right. I booked our stay online directly through the hotels website. At first, it was taking a while to load so I called the hotel directly and was informed that they did not have any available rooms for the days I was seeking. The page finished loading and allowed me to book the rooms I needed. I called back and the person I spoke with did not believe me until he searched my info and was surprised to find that I was indeed able to book a room for both nights. Then comes check in... The woman assisting us was indeed friendly. She found our reservation with no problem, however, when I asked what price they had us booked for (to be sure that it matched the price on our reservation) it was higher than what we intended. I showed her my printout where it shows the "TOTAL" price and says nothing about taxes not being included and she said that that price did not include taxes and booking fees. She even said herself that they get this problem a lot with many customers. Hmmm... that should tell you something like maybe FIX IT!!! Like I said, nowhere on the paper did it say that taxes were not included in total price, so of course I ask to speak to the manager. When he finally comes back from his smoke break and addresses me smelling badly of smoke, he doesn't care at all what I have to say and does nothing for me at all. According to the reservation printout, we had to give 3 days notice of cancellation or they would charge the first night's booking. So needless to say, we were stuck. THEN...the hotel was sponsoring some marathon and it was a complete disaster. When we checked in, they gave us a parking permit. Parking was horrible due to this marathon and about 3/4 of the cars in the very small parking lot did not have a permit. What the heck was the point of giving us a darn permit then?! An event like that should have been much more organized with a separate parking area just for the runners. Not happy at all and never coming back!

Room Tip: Don't bother!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2011

We stayed in a king size room, the size is great, it only had one night stand, the furniture is kind of old, the towels are very old and very thin, I did see some tiny roaches in the bathroom, the fridge was working perfectly. We stayed for two nights and in one occasion we were not able to find a parking space, the person at the front desk told me a story that people were checking in and were not able to identify the non guests, what I was able to notice is that some people use this parking lot to park their cars and go to the beach, they use the north side of the hotel to access the beach, it is easy for them because the hotel does not have a 24 hour security officer. We stayed on the first floor, north side and there was a lot of people from outside the hotel passing by making noise, you couldn't open the curtains the wi-fi Internet was not working, the bathroom only had the fabric curtain and not the shower curtain, they only left the plastic rings for hanging the shower curtain. The hotel offers complementary breakfast but there are not enough tables for all the people.

• Stayed April 2011
, Front Office Manager at La Copa Inn Beach Hotel, responded to this review, October 7, 2011
We sincerely apologize your stay was not enjoyable. We hope you are pleased to know that we are taking the necessary steps to fix the problems you faced during your stay. We hope that you will give us another chance to prove that we can provide an ideal experience.
San Antonio, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2011

No water in room most of the time, we could not even flush the toilet! If you were lucky enough to get water you never knew how long it would last, the water would completey stop in the middle of trying to shower so good luck with trying to wash your hair. The rooms are very beat up, couches with rips in it, fridge had tape holding it together. We had stayed here last year when it was still part of Best Western but it is no longer part of that chain and you can tell. We left early because of the water issue and the manager wouldn't do anything about it. He just said the city was decreasing the water pressure so it wasn't their fault. Come on, you should be ablr to flush the toilet!!!! By the way, the wi-fi didn't work half the time either.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2011

over all was a great stay we had a corner room with balcony overlooking the pool GREAT ROOM very clean seperate bathroom w/ bathtub and also had a half hot tub in room with flat screen to watch tv has another tv by bed we had a mini ridge in room the only prolbem with the balcony was everyone at the pool can see up (some people may like that i personally didn't) check in wasn't the greatest the clerk was rude and seemed upset we were trying to see if our room was ready @ 3:45 (check-in was at 4) then when we did get up @ 4:15 the maid was still cleaning and we had to wait in the hallway for about 20 min. other than that the staff was friendly the beach is nice not alot of people in early may there was a store right out in front of the hotel a liquor store and some other shops one tip: be prepaired when driving home and sometimes on the way there are border patrol stops along the highway

Room Tip: book the hot tub room worth the extra money
  • Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the great review! We're very sorry about the problems you had with checking in and hope you are pleased to know that we have addressed the problem to ensure that no one else encounters the same problem. We hope to see you again during your next visit on South Padre Island!
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2011

I have to say that I was worried about staying here after reading the reviews from others!! I have not experience one bad thing here a the La Copa! I booked this trip on Expedia with no problem, when I read that I would have to pay for a wrist band for the month of march I simply called and ask if I had to do that and was told NO because it would be after spring break!! When we got here I also knew that check in was at 3:00 but when I got to the desk at 2:00 I was able to check in with no problem because their was a room available!! Breakfast has also been another perk here. It's always ready at 7:00 a.m. and the waffles shaped in the form of Texas are great!!! The beach is at the back of the hotel and just beautiful! The room service also gets a A+ from me because they were on time and very friendly!! The people at the front desk also deserves a applause because they were onto of their jobs!! The pool area was nice and clean!! They also have a bus service called the wave that will take you up and down across the causeway for FREE!!!!! So my stay here has been a pleasant one and when I check out of here on Thursday I will let the staff know what a enjoyable vacation I had here!!!!!!!

• Stayed March 2011
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2011

We stayed at this hotel during Texas Week for spring break. I'm a college student and I realize the island has to tolerate a lot of drunk college kids during this time, but it is unacceptable to treat your paying guests the way the staff at this hotel did. We had 6 people staying in our room and we had brought 2 cars. The hotel refused to issue us 2 parking permits even for payment. We were told we could park the other car in a very small parking lot across the street. When we went over there, of course, there was no parking spaces available. We came back and asked the staff what we were supposed to do next. One of the clerks told us that it would be okay for us to park on the hotel property as long as we parked in back of the lot. A security guard rode in the vehicle with us and told us where to park. The very next day were are getting ready to go out to dinner and go to the place our vehicle had once been, and it's gone. We told the front desk and different hotel staff told us the hotel policy was to tow any car without a permit. No one could seem to understand that we had been given permission and even had a security guard accompany us. They were very rude and insisted it was our fault and we would have to pay the $300 to get the car out of impound. Eventually after arguing with the staff and manager for nearly an hour and the cops being called, the hotel agreed to pay the fee. It was a nightmare and the remainder of our evening was ruined having to sort this out. We were also charged a $50 deposit for each person and the $15 wrist band fee (an additional $390 that was never mentioned when booking the hotel). The only good things about this hotel is it's location to coca-cola beach and the beds (tempurpedic or some sort of memory foam generic). Still had a great trip regardless but not without some undue stress.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Charlotte, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2011

I had a bad feeling about the hotel when we pulled in the parking lot and the cops were ticketing kids for underage drinking. Check in was not a great experience at all. My husband and I were informed that we had to pay $15 a piece for wristbands that we had to wear the whole time. Not cool, especially when you are trying to get a tan! (I still don't know what the purpose of the wrist bands was other than to rip us off) We were also charged $100 and given a checkin list and told that we had to check everything in the room to make sure everything on the list was there and not broken. After driving for 24 hours from N.C. , the last thing I want to do is the hotels JOB! We were told that we would get our money back at check out if everything was in order. When we got to the room, it looked like the sheets had not even been washed. They were all crumpled and the room smelled kind of musky. On top of all that, drunk college age kids were up and down the hall ways and getting crazy out at the pool all hours of the night. Needless to say I didn't get much sleep. Don't get me wrong, I am all about having fun and partying - but the pool area was like girls gone wild or something - not really my kind of scene. The only good thing about this hotel is that it is close to Coca-Cola beach. I will never go back to S. Padre Island again, but if you are in college and you like to get crazy and don't mind getting ripped off on a crappy "3 star" hotel - this is the place for you.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to La Copa Inn Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!