“Pleasantly surprised - great value!!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Cuisines: American, Barbecue, Hamburgers, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Outdoor seating
Temple, Texas
“Pleasantly surprised - great value!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2008

I must preface by saying the last couple of times we went to Blackbeard's, we were disenchanted. However, it seems to be a tradition for our family to eat there the first night we get on the island. Saturday night - June 28th at 7:15 and they seat our family of 15 in about 5 minutes. Okay, this is a first and a definite surprise! We're used to waiting about an hour for this place.

Our waitress wasn't excellent, but she wasn't bad given all the orders, and at least 3 separate tickets. She delivered all the food in a decent amount of time and all the food was much better than we had remembered. My husband & I shared the crab-shrimp-crab and a plate of cold boiled shrimp. We especially liked the crab stuffed shrimp and the stuffed crab. The salad was great, but I have had the watered down version mentioned before. My son had a the British burger and my daughter had fried shrimp, they both enjoyed. My other son had Fettucine Alfredo and didn't care for it. I tried it and it wasn't that good - stick to something else. We also had a bottle of wine and the bill was under $70 so that was pretty good based on all the other places I ate at down there.

Because my husband couldn't get enough of the stuffed shrimp, we went back on Monday for lunch. They had the fried shrimp basket for $5.99. We ate for around $50 this time and took food back to the condo for the next day. We even shared meals! So, they give you A LOT of food....

texas
“A Very Bad Experience--Not Worth The Money At All”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2008

We have not been back to South Padre since 2002. We then visited Blackbeards and loved it. We were very anxious to go back. We visited Blackbeards on June 25 after a long 8 hour drive around 9:00pm. I was VERY disappointed in the food in every way possible. First of all, our salads were watery. The ranch dressing was either watered down or the salad was soaking in water. We had a mess and a puddle in our salads. It was tasteless and disgusting. Our waiter could barely speak English so we got absolutely no communication or satisfaction. Our food, of which we had grilled shrimp and vegetables tasted old, tough, and everything was cold. The best part was the baked potato and that's not saying much. Even our strawberry daquari tasted watered down.

For the $95.00 our meal cost, Blackbeards............you have some definite improvements to make. I will not be returning.

Donald Entrop

McKinney Texas
“Do you like the taste of hair?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2008

We went to this restaurant after reading all the positive reviews on your website, The first problem occured when we ordered drinks. My wine came with a very distinctive smell and taste of dishwasing detergent. After I sent the wine back things just went down hill. While the busboys were cleaning the table next to us I was doused with a pleasant spray of the tea and soda from their table being thrown into the refuse bucket. Then I watched as the busboys jabbed the woman stuffed into a corner table with the end of their broom. After that we were served our meal. The salads were decent - fresh vegetables and lettuce. Then the main entree arrived. What a treat - two our meals had the added ingredient of hair. Other than that our meal was tasteless and uninteresting. Once we complained about the special secret ingredient we were comped the two meals. Usually a manager would come out and apologize for the error - not here - you just get free food, bad service, secret ingredients, and throw in a soda bath and your done for the night. The waitress was a gem and should be working somewhere where there is more pride in their product and service. GO SOMEWHERE ELSE.

Pharr
“BEST RESTAURANT ON THE BEACH!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2008

This place is the best on the beach. I don't go everytime I come to the beach though because we either have our own barbecue but this is the 1st restaurant id choose if id go with my family. I've tried every single burger on it. My favorites are mushroom swiss and british. It is also so pirate like and the people and owner are nice and polite! There is always a positive atmosphere! I can't wait to go there again man. I can write alot about it. BEST YUM!

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Food is good and service...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2008

Food is good and service is ok, but not alot of ambience!