“Yummy!” 5 of 5 stars

Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Outdoor seating
Dallas, TX
“Yummy!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2008

Ocean view, bars, junk food, and awesome decor? Yep, that's Blackbeard's. You can eat outside with an awesome balloon man, or inside with football, beer, the ocean, or statues of fish. Either way, when it comes to food, Blackbeard's is ready to impress. Cheaply!

70% Recommend
Mineral wells tx.
“Blackbeard's Restaurant,Gotta Eat There, SPI”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2008

I have visited Blackbeards sice 1981. I always eat there on every trip. I have turned many people on to the Island and the Famous Blackbeards. I remember it when it was a big rustic building. The steaks are always delicious , the service is good,and although I don"t eat seafood,, everyone in our party , say the seafood is wonderful. I love the atmosphere and like the T-shirts too. I hope you will try it.
Diann Moore
Mineral Wells, Tx.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“they have good chicken fried steak!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2007

they have good chicken fried steak!

Conroe, Texas
“Make sure this is your type of restaurant before you go”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2007

Now, I am not here to insult anyone or disagree with anyone but just take it the way it is. Blackbeards is for certain people and not for others. This is not an indictment of either side and it is fine that it is this way. I also fear that some of what I might say will be seen as generalizations.

With all of that out of the way, I find this restaurant extremely disappointing and I know I must be in a minority here. I don't think I am snooty, but I do judge restaurants based on what they are supposed to be as well as what they really are. I think everything must be taking into consideration when reviewing a restaurant, i.e. if the food is great but it is served in my lap, this needs to be told in that context.

This place is supposedly a city relic and is one of the largest if not the most prominently seen restaurants on the island and main strip. With that comes a responsibility of something better than average, it fails here.

We waited 45 minutes for this? The inside is a mess and seating is cramped. Service was slow and the menu was the typical, fried items and the taste leaves you wondering if it is frozen ahead of time. Maybe in Nebraska this is ok, but on the gulf? I found the food so poor that I ventured from everyone else and went with a burger. Unfortunately, they had trouble with this also. It was the pre-formed burger from who knows where. Again, taste was fine, but give me a break, if I wanted Sonic, I would have gone there. The other's food was bland and nothing special.

Too many times we get to thinking that nostalgia means the place can not be kept up, can not change the menu, can not increase the quality of food. In addition, we are supposed to believe that laid back means these things too and if we can not see it or appreciate it, we must be too fast paced or something. On the contrary, I do not want a black tie restaurant. Heck, I love sports bars and that type of food, but that doesn't mean I should be subjected to this.

Now I will admit that SP is not flowing over with great restaurants, but it does have good ones and ones that don't boast being something they are not.

For nice sakes, if you have children and you want something sit down that is not all that expensive, this may suffice, but I would still try some place else first. If you like fried foods and huge portions at a decent price, than this is possible your place also.

Alexandria, VA
“We love Blackbeard's!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2007

What a great place! We had lunch at Blackbeard's twice while on a week-long vacation. Each time the wait staff were very attentive. The lunch specials, particularly the scallops on Mondays, are quite affordable and there's tons of food! They offer quite a variety, so even those travelling with picky young children should be able to easily find something on the menu that your kids will actually eat. This is completely a low-stress place. By far our favorite place to eat while on the island.