“Be warned-” 1 of 5 stars

Schlitterbahn Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   100 Padre Blvd, South Padre Island, TX 78597   |
“Be warned-”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW via mobile

If this hotel paid me to come back i would happily decline. Drove 4.5 hours from San Antonio to spend our little boys 4th birthday at the waterpark. The water is cooooooold. Not 85 degrees which is advertised on there webpage. I had two shivering little boys- it was unbearable. We were forced to leave the waterpark because of this. I talked to the manager and asked if she could give me a current temp for the pool she said it was 81 in the kiddie part- (seriously NOT she must of taken the temp where the warm water blows into the pool) the pool was freezing! I would say 61 degrees at best. Maybe later in the day it will warm up- but dont count on spending the morning hours here. I have no idea what we will do now.. Ready to head home Wasted trip!

• Stayed January 2015

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

The room was decent, staff was great. The water park could be updated. All in all not worth the cost of stay and play. Definitely overpriced for quality. Only thing great was how close the beach is :/

Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
Carrollton, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

It might be ok during the week but I had a family holiday with 10 people, 6 adults,2 teen agers and two 8 year olds over a week end and we all thought the water park very, very crowded. This was June 2014. If you like being surrounded with every and I do mean every person, sporting innumerable tattoos then you'll love this. The rooms are adequate and it's right by the beach if you get tired of the water park. The eating facilities are minimal but S.Padre has more to choose. My youngest son and family had a room at the top and above him was a very noisy restaurant/party that kept them awake until 1 a.m. DO NOT get a room on the top floor. I wrote a letter of complaint to management but did not have the courtesy of a reply.

Room Tip: DO NOT get top floor
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I came to South Padre for a business conference and decided to turn it into a family weekend getaway. We reserved a King suite ocean front room. We arrived on a Wednesday night very late and Ted the night clerk was very friendly and helpful. It was extremely windy and the wind caused the wall of the room we were put in first to make a loud banging sound. Ted quickly put us in another room. This room was unfortunately on the ground floor with an obstructed beach view (the sand bar blocked half of the ocean view). No worries, the next day while I was at the conference, my husband was able to switch to a second floor room. Perfect! The bedroom was very large with a great view of the ocean from the bed. It was such a luxury to wake up to the sunrise over the ocean. A balcony would have been even better. I am not sure why Schlitterbahn seems to be the only hotel on the island without balconies. A clothesline in the shower would have been nice for hanging up wet swimsuits.

We pretty much had the entire building to ourselves Wed/Thurs night. Even Fri/Sat night we didn't see many people in Building B.

The waterpark was perfect for our kids, ages 3 and 8. A double tube or group waterside would have been nice but it was definitely nice to have an indoor waterpark since the weather we experienced was pretty wet and cold.

Each winter we go to Great Wolf Lodge near Dallas to enjoy their indoor waterpark. This was our first year to try Schlitterbahn South Padre. GWL definitely has the better indoor waterpark. However, Schlitterbahn is able to offer the waterpark and the beautiful beachfront view and access.

We will be back!!

Stayed January 2015, traveled on business
Warren, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Very nice family suite, beds super comfortable. We did not feel as though the venue offered enough for the winter month. The prices should have been reduced. The indoor waterpark was less then expected. One day it was filled with oil that coated our bodies. They claimed it was vegetable oil. One of our biggest turn offs was the food available. If the seaside grill was open (weather permitting), things were ok. If you had to count on the indoor snack bar, not so good. The staff seemed to be not trained. We ate twice with both times being way off. One morning we had nowhere to get a cup of coffee without leaving the hotel. After about a 45 minute wait, we were able to get from the lobby.
The outdoor heated pool was the best. No fault of the hotels, the weather was too bad to enjoy. They did make every effort to keep that running.
I would stay again with the children on a shorter visit and during summer months only.

It would have been nice have something offered to the families for New Years. The only option was the ShrimpHaus.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Please be sure to read my full review. I have to get the bad out of the way first, but then there's plenty of good.

I remembered seeing something about a past guest who had issues with Room 143 before we arrived, but then totally didn't connect the dots until sure enough, we were assigned Room 143 and at around 6 a.m. the next morning, we were inundated with the sound of banging of pots, pans, machines, etc. in the kitchen of the restaurant!!! Oh, I was livid! And yes, when I flung open the curtain to check out the "view" that morning, we realized that our window opened right up to a table at the restaurant with a whole family looking right into our room while my husband was still asleep in bed!!! OMG! I swear, Room 143 has to be some kind of joke...they really should only rent that one out at an extremely discounted rate or do something else with it.

That room *could* have totally ruined our experience, but we were fortunately switched to another (mostly quieter--more on that in a bit) room for the remainder of our stay. No up charge. Thank goodness!

All-in-all, we quite enjoyed our little Christmas vacation here. The indoor waterpark was perfect for our children (ages 6-11), but I do see how older kids would probably be bored with it. We liked that it wasn't terribly crowded and we could hang out and relax and felt relatively comfortable with our kids playing in the various sections of the waterpark, checking in with us after they went down a slide or wanted to move to another section. I liked that it was so small and manageable for us. And I was VERY grateful to have the indoor area as it ended up being extremely cold outside when we were there. We did manage one day at the beach...probably one of the nicest, cleanest beaches in TX, really.

I found the staff to be pretty nice for the most part. The hotel and waterpark were pretty clean. I would definitely go back...in the winter (to avoid any crowds) again. The weekdays were better than the weekend days we were there as far as number of people. However, I probably would look into getting a condo near the waterpark instead of staying at the resort again. The walls were just a bit too thin (even in our new room, we could hear everything going on in our neighbors' rooms).

This ended up being one of the easiest, most relaxing family vacations we've ever had (and we have had lots of family travels). ALL of us had a great time and very much enjoyed being together without a lot of travel or touristy stress.

Room Tip: 3rd floor was great. Beach view is best. Whatever you do, do NOT let them give you Room 143.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
Mike B, Manager at Schlitterbahn Beach Resort, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Thank You for your review!

It is always welcome to receive thoughtful, thorough reviews that encompass the entire visit.

We appreciate the kind words and believe me when I say we listen to our reviews and our guests. Room 143 specifically will become an "off-market" room that will not be used as a beachfront room and available only as the lowest priced tier room for those interested....thank you!

We certainly appreciate your nice words, glad you had the chance to relax and plan on visiting again....we hope you do stay with us again.....you are a prime example of our belief in listening to our guests and putting their interests at the forefront.

Thanks again,
Mike
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

They advertise that this is a year round waterpark. It is, if you like to be very cold while you swim indoors! The indoor water is a big room covered in plastic and heated by propane heaters placed randomly all over the place. Most of them are not on. So it is very cold in the plastic covered room when it is cold outside! The torrent river is fun when it works and there are 2 water slides and a kiddy area. That's it for indoors. Outside is a heated pool with a swim up bar. That was where we were most of the time! It was chilly outside but the water was very warm!
We stayed a week for New Year's and I was surprised that there wasn't anything planned for families. There was only a $90 per couple dinner. All the bars, restaurants, and pools were closed. A small balloon drop or something would have been nice for all the money we paid each night!
We got the family suite. The room was a good size, but the bathroom was a small closet with barely enough room to dress after a shower! I liked having the kitchen and washer/dryer.
The resort was right on the beach, and I'm sure it is a lot better in the summer. It just shouldn't be advertised year round, and it shouldn't be as expensive as it was!!! Definitely should have done more research before I booked this hotel! Kiddy area, 2 slides, the torrent river, and 1 heated outdoor pool is all you will get. And you will be colder while swimming indoors!

Stayed January 2015, traveled with family
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to post your comments.

We did experience some much colder than average temperatures over the holidays this year and unfortunately a transformer blew on the date you visited the park (city, not us) so a lot of our ability to keep the indoor air temperature where we like was lost.

We do anticipate having both a "couples" and a family/children's New Year's Eve activity moving forward as we continue to expand. As the newest property on the Island, we are still adding events throughout the year (dinner shows, musical events, Winter Texan activities, etc.).

We hope you have the opportunity to come visit again in the "off-season" of during the summer season when resort guests receive an extra hour of exclusive ride time in the indoor park plus access to the seasonal outdoor park for discounts of over 40%.

Thanks again for the opportunity to host your family over the holidays,
Mike

Been to Schlitterbahn Beach Resort? Share your experiences!