“Fun in the sun ” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
San Antonio, Texas
“Fun in the sun ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Yet again, a fun time was had by all. My husband and I met with my family at this resort and we had an amazing time. Truly wholesome fun. We had adjacent rooms with a door in between rooms so we could walk back and forth and we had beach front view. We had breakfast in the seaside grill and although it was a little pricey but it was worth it. And the beach was just a few feet from us. It was gorgeous weather. Overall I recommend. Also if you want to not pay 499.00 per night go when it's off season it will be less expensive. Or save up and then just shell out for a very good wholesome fun for the entire family.

Stayed September 2014, traveled with family

162 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

if you have ever been to any beach on the east coast this beach rates a 2. at best. just old and run down with no real name brand hotels and if your are.looking for something luxuries look to Hilton garden inn, that's the best you'll get.

Schlitterbahn resort was.like a run down no star Mexican resort. The front desk people have no personality and don't care. you feel like you are stuck here with "local management" if you have a problem. Of course as expected we were overcharged. The hotel is old and nasty...My heart dropped when my husband pulled into the hotel. There are herds of people squeezing into standard rooms. I was so happy to leave. South Padre beach is hideous. We drove around because we thought we were in the wrong place or side of town...not. First and last visit!

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
San Juan, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Hello. I need you to read this because you need to know that you will save money if you stay at this hotel. compare prices if you can. the benefit about this hotel is that you get 4 tickets to the waterpark included in your stay wow! there a savings plus you also enjoy the indoor water park they have ONLY for the guest at the resort. how cool is that? it really is nice not to deal with to much lines. Of course like every place there is a downfall and the one here is the restroom is pretty small. but think of the bright side who needs a big rr when your out having fun? I know we don't... and well no breakfast included but with so many hotels cereal is the thing on the menu and if your like us you want a good meal so that's ok.

hope this review helped if it did don't hesitate in liking my review, thanks and have fun!!!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Mike B, Manager at Schlitterbahn Beach Resort, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Thanks for sharing the money saving tips....

Yes, resort Guests receive exclusive ride time at our indoor park during the summer and also are saving 40% on their tickets. Add that to the beachfront location and it makes an affordable vacation right here in the Valley at Texas' best beach!

We also provide several on-site restaurants (that are open year-round to the public). The Seaside grill is yummy and friendly to your wallet too, all right on the beach. The Shrimp Haus is known as having the Island's best shrimp and has great views of the beach and Gulf from its location next door to the outdoor waterpark, plus live entertainment Wednesday - Saturday evenings. Our Loblolly Grill provides a grab-n-go menu that is quick, delicious and inexpensive as well!

Thanks for sharing your experience and we look forward to seeing you on your next trip down to SPI!

Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

At check in we were told that the park was available to resort guests only between 8pm - 9pm as well as 9am -10am. By park we assumed both parks and all rides were available. When we got in the Torrent River at 8pm on our first night the life guards made us get out. They said it was not open to us. (It was open last summer). We went back to the front desk for clarification and we were told that the Torrent River was not open; only certain parts of the outdoor park were open and the Torrent River and the other rides at the indoor park were not open except for the heated swim up bar... For two days I believed this. On our third day, I notice that guests were in the Torrent River before 10am. When I questioned the girl who gave out the towels, she said the Torrent River was open to guests from 9am –10am and from 8pm – 9pm. When I questioned her knowledge she said maybe she was wrong.
At my age the only thing I can do it the torrid river and I feel very comfortable when there are less people so this was a BIG disappointment. Not only did I miss the hour at night I had planned on but I also missed two mornings that I could have been in the torrid river because of misleading information.
On Thursday night we learned that there would be fireworks on the bay by Louie’s Backyard, we asked the girl at the front desk where Louie’s was, she said that the fireworks were not at Louie’s but at the opposite end of the island on the ocean side. We drove down to the end of the beach and pulled into public parking not sure where else to go. Soon we could hear but not see fireworks. We got into the car and headed back to the hotel and low and behold the fireworks were at Louie’s Backyard. We missed them. Another BIG disappointment.
I stay at hotels all the time; I was surprised to learn that in order to get our room vacuumed we had to request it. My only problem with this is communication; we had to find out the hard way, after two days with crumbs and sand on the carpet, why don’t you give this information to the guests at check in?
Communication seems to be lacking between the staff and management. Now I know not to trust anything I am told when visiting this resort.
I am handicap, not enough to require a handicap room but with no grab bars in the bathroom it was extremely difficult for me to get in and out of the tub.
This year the water was very low at the Torrent River, less the waist high and I am only 5’ 3”, it did cause bruising and was a disappointment, the life guard said they were filling the Torrent River but the water level remained the same throughout our visit...
If you or your children are not experienced swimmers, beware, I had to pull two terrified children out of the strong current when they got away from the parents, the life guards seemed oblivious.
In spite of all my complaints and concerns, the positives far outweigh the negatives for me. I love visiting this resort, I brought my whole family, children and grandchildren and we all had a great time. We like eating at the seaside café, the food was excellent, affordable and the atmosphere and view is exceptional. Our young waiter Andres couldn’t have been better.
The water park is clean and the beach is just a short walk from the hotel. We found the staff to be very friendly in spite of not being knowledgeable.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Our family is just now wrapping up a three night stay in a king suite oceanview room. We read a lot of trip advisor posts in order to be prepared so I will take a little bit of time to share our experience compared with what others have posted.

Check-in: we arrived at 3:45 PM on Sunday because we did not want to get here any earlier based upon posts saying that rooms were not available ahead of time and that the lobby was hot and crowded. By arriving at 3:45, we were able to take advantage of a fairly empty lobby and were able to get started with the check in process. Our room was not available but we were told that it would be at 4 PM. We took the next few minutes to unload our car and then by the time we checked in at 4 and got up to the room, the room was ready. Yes, the lobby was somewhat stuffy and warm. I would recommend a few ceiling fans perhaps. But quite honestly, not really that big of a deal. The lobby itself is very pretty, utilizing wood from Bastrop trees from the recent fires in the Texas Hill country. The beautiful wood-lined lobby and hotel rooms have this beautiful wood throughout.

Rooms: after reading all of the reviews on trip advisor we decided on a king suite oceanview. This was mainly because of the comments that the rooms were not large and that the bathrooms were tiny. We also thought that we might be bringing a few extra people with us but ended up just 4. For the four of us it ended up working out just great. I don't know what a regular room looks like, but the king suite oceanview has a nice view of the ocean, has a very large master bedroom area with a pullout couch and a large LCD TV, along with a large bathroom, and a separate living area which has a pullout couch as well. The room also has two refrigerator areas which come in very handy if you are trying to eat breakfast and lunch in the room to save some money. The only negative comment we had about the room was that there was only one dresser in both of the rooms total with three very small drawers. For a room that claims that it can sleep six – and it really can – three tiny dresser drawers would not normally be enough, but since we were only here for 2 to 3 days we made it work for the 4 of us.

You can definitely tell that the two buildings are repurposed from older buildings. However, they have done a good job updating the hotels and common areas so they feel nice! For example they have updated the wallpaper, the trim around the hotel, the carpet has a beach theme and is very pleasant. The elevators however are excruciatingly slow. Take the stairs.

Restaurants: on property are a few different places to eat.

The Shrimp Haus is over on the water park side which is a bit of a walk, but honestly – you walk a lot at a water park so walking back over to the waterpark for dinner is really not that big of a deal. They have 101 different ways of eating shrimp, which is accurate. They have many different types of shrimp – of which my family had three in one meal. The salad bar is excellent, the service was great, the view of the ocean is great, and the food was really good!

The Seaside Grill is on the beach side of building B with a small patio area next to the pool where you can order food and get a drink. It really doesn't look like it has great food, but the food there was quite tasty and the service was very friendly and helpful.

The Sea 4 Ever grill on the top of building B was a complete disappointment. Mainly this was because it had closed for the season and we did not know that before going up there for dinner. There was no indication of this that we could find in the materials in the room, anywhere posted in the building, or when you get up there on the floor to try to go into the restaurant. There was nothing on the website that we could find indicating that he wasn't open either. We may have missed it, but after all of the hype about how good it was we were disappointed that it was closed.

Resort: for most people who have stayed at different resorts, I don't think that they would consider this a resort per se. However, for a 2 to 3 day vacation with the kids up to about 15 or 16 years of age, it is a lot of fun. If you are used to some types of amenities that a fancier hotel or resort might have to offer, you may not think of this as a resort. However, for us – this was just fine.

Indoor Waterpark: The indoor waterpark is a waterpark, but is pretty limited in the things that has to offer for adults and teenagers. I would say that it is excellent for kids up to about 10. For our family, we enjoyed the torrent river for the one hour you are allowed to get in before The outdoor water park opens and before the daily waterpark guests arrive. We also enjoyed the waterslides in the indoor park. There are two of them, but if you don't get there right around 9 AM the line starts to back up and then the 10 to 15 minute wait to go down a very short waterslide is not really worth it. Save your energy for the outdoor waterpark.

Outdoor Waterpark: The outdoor waterpark has about six or seven waterslides which are fun for people of all ages. None of them are extremely scary or long. However, for a 2 to 3 day stay we spent about six hours each day over at the outdoor waterpark enjoying the different slides and enjoying the lazy river which is quite long and also has areas of some splashing and rapids. Some really cool design features of the outdoor waterpark include the ability for you to bring your own food and drinks into the park and not having to buy anything there if you don't want to, lots of different shaded areas to sit and enjoy family and friends, lots of places to get a beach chair without having to fight over one, lots of different small kid play areas for kids to wade in the water and just have a great time, a really cool conveyor system which takes you up from the lazy river to the higher river which allows you access to the water slides so you don't ever have to get out of your tube, and entrances to the different water slides allow you to sit in your tube and float and they are all shaded so you don't have to bake in the sun for the 15 or 20 minutes while you wait in line for the different slides.

There is also a really cool kids play area for kids below 10 which you can see pictures of - it looks like a Sandcastle. There are two waterslides in that area also (for kiddos) and again lots of places for kids to play in the water and have fun.

Beach: if you are staying in building A you have a bit of a longer walk to the beach than if you were staying in building B. What I mean by that is it might take you an additional 45 seconds. I would say that beach access at this resort is awesome! From building B - you can literally walk out of your hotel room and be on the beach in less than two minutes if you take the stairs. The elevators are extremely slow but the stairwells lead right outside as well.

Staff: I have read a few different accounts of people being frustrated with staff. We have not experienced any problems at all with staff. I would say that we have personally encountered over 30 different staff members and each one of them was extremely courteous, always took the time to stop what they were doing to look us in the eye and answer our questions. One staff member when we went to get our wristbands for the waterpark on our last day, actually said wait don't tell me your name and then he remembered our last name. Gabriela helped us to check in and she was extremely helpful and very courteous. I specifically took the time to watch different guests engage with the staff members as they checked in because of the different trip advisor comments. One of the comments I read was about someone who complained that they arrive two hours early and we're disappointed that they didn't get the room fast enough. It seems like everybody who arrived 15 to 10 minutes early were treated extremely nice and each one of them was helped immediately. The longest anybody stood in line between 345 and 4 PM was about 12 minutes. Most people were through the line in about six minutes.

Family Fun: for our. family, we had a great time. We brought games to play with the kids in the evenings because the waterpark to do actually close well before dark. We spent time at the beach one night until it got dark, but other nights we chose to go to dinner early and then watch movies or play games in the room.

One of the great things about this site is that the indoor waterpark and the outdoor waterpark are connected by a tunnel which provides easy access for the kids to go back-and-forth all day long from the room to the waterpark and from the outdoor waterpark to the indoor waterpark. The reason I mention this is that we almost chose a condo somewhere else and would have had to come over here and park or take a shuttle to the waterpark each day. By staying right here, we were able to come back and forth to and from the room for snacks for water for lunch and just to check in once in a while with each other. Very convenient!

Overall: overall I would say that we have had a wonderful time here. We have enjoyed some very good meals, our room was very quiet, everything was clean, the beach access his wonderful, the staff was great, and we have just been able to enjoy ourselves coming and going as we wanted to from the different attractions. There is not a lot to do on South Padre Island compared to some of the other things we have done on cruises or in Hawaii - so if you do come here plan on making it a trip to the beach and a waterpark because that is really what it is. I don't think that we would actually return here, because our son is now 17 and he was not engaged as much with the waterpark as our 12-year-old was. Had he brought a friend, it probably would have been different so if you have a few teenagers who are older, it would probably be great for a couple days however for us, the 17-year-old only really spent about four hours into days at the water park. Now, with that said – the beach is right here and lots of people enjoy hanging out at the beach all day as well.

Stayed August 2014
Wow!

Thanks so much for one of the best written, well thought out reviews ever on Trip Advisor!

It is a pleasure to see someone take the time to share such valuable tips, plaudits, critiques and information on their visit!

I always appreciate folks pointing out our staff working diligently to make sure that everyone enjoys their stay.

Hopefully, on your next visit down, you will stop by the front desk and let us share some of the many things to do on the Island (besides Schlitterbahn and the beach of course).....

Horse back riding on the beach, sky diving from 11,000 feet and landing on the beach, parasailing, dolphin watching, catamarans, bay and deep sea fishing, Sea Turtles and a World Birding Center are just some of the other fun things to do on SPI!

Once again, I cannot thank you enough for taking the time to share your visit!!

Lubbock
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Upon arrival we got there on Thursday at 11:00am and our room was ready. This was awesome after driving all night. David the bell hop came out and loaded our ridiculous amount of luggage and refused to let anything stay behind. He had us in our room and unloaded within 15 minutes of driving up. Loved that guy!! The room was great for the most part, getting there and opening the curtain to the the ocean was breath taking. We got an ocean front double queen on the 3rd floor tower B. The room itself was a good size considering the two beds no complaint there. But, when I went to change clothes there was no where to change privately and the bathroom was too small to change in. We had the kids stand outside so we could change, no biggie as our kids are 11 and 17. Our A/C worked great the whole trip. Now about the water park: We went to get our wristbands and could not get any clarification on where to get them, finally an employee said we had to walk to the front of the water park, so we did. We get there and they inform us that we needed to get it from the hotel, not a happy camper this was a very long walk. She ended up calling the hotel (this took 30min) and finally gave us our wristbands. Off to the park we go. We had a blast, the kids loved the boogie bahn, the river was perfect for me and my husband. Access to food and drink was good and considering it was a water park it was fairly priced and we got a good amount. We ate that night at Sea Side grill, the food was good and fair priced and right on the beach. Friday we got up and went straight to the water park, it was busier than Thursday but not too bad. Saturday came and we knew it was going to be busy so we decided to take advantage of being able to access the park an hour early. Nope, they don't do this at this water park. They finally let us in at 9:50 and we get to our table that we'd been using for two days and they are all gone to public guests. We went ahead jumped in the river and quickly got out because there were way too many people. It was tube to tube. We went to the beach instead, we got a cabana with chairs for $20 and it was very well worth it. The beach in front of Schlitterbahn is awesome! Oh and we ate that morning at Sea Side again and the breakfast burritos were huge and good priced. OK, Sunday checkout day: we went straight to the park, got to ride all of the rides we hadn't been able to within 30min. I'm glad we did because again the park was full by 10:30. We got back to the room and David came up and loaded our ridiculous amount of luggage again. I checked out seamlessly and David already had our truck loaded. All in all a great stay, we will be back and I would recommend this Schlitterbahn, remember its not as big as New Braunfels, but still a good water park and great beach. We won't book during the weekend again though. But it was the weekend before school starts so I'm sure it varies weekend to weekend. My recommendations, splurge on the ocean front, get a 3rd or 4th floor room, be at the park by 10, and get a cabana if you go to the beach, and stick to the weekdays if you can. Thanks Schlitterbahn for the great time!

• Stayed August 2014
Mike B, Manager at Schlitterbahn Beach Resort, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
No, no...thank you for such a nice and thorough review of your stay and of the waterpark.

It is great when folks share many of the tips we try and provide to allow our Guests to make the most of the stay and play time at Schlitterbahn.

I apologize for the miscommunication on the waterpark bands as they are readily available for our hotel guests right off the lobby and we provide exclusive ride time in the indoor portion of the waterpark to our hotel Guests daily during the peak summer season.

It is also gratifying to hear our team members mentioned by name when they take care of our Guests, so thank you.

We look forward to your next visit!
New Braunfels, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

This was a perfect vacation spot for our family of six. In the words of my teenaged daughter, "If you go out the door this way your on the beach, if you go that way your at schlitterbahn.". Everything is steps away from our rooms. With four children we were so excited that they were entertained. The rooms were extremely comfy and clean and the help staff were so helpful. We will definitely come back.

• Stayed August 2014
Thanks for such nice words and we are so glad you enjoyed your stay. We hope we can become a tradition for you to come visit us on South Padre Island.

Thanks again,
Mike

Been to Schlitterbahn Beach Resort? Share your experiences!