“Awesome for families with kids 8 and older.” 4 of 5 stars

You added Schlitterbahn Beach Resort to your Saves list
Schlitterbahn Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   100 Padre Blvd, South Padre Island, TX 78597   |
Hotel deals
“Awesome for families with kids 8 and older.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

Rooms were right on the indoor Park wave pool. Swim-up bar for adults was nice. Everything was within a short walking distance. Great experience for our family. You can pack your own picnic, which saves you lots of money.

• Stayed July 2013
Rene V, Manager at Schlitterbahn Beach Resort, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
We appreciate your feedback about our Hotel. Thank you for staying with us. It's great to hear that your experience was wonderful and we look forward to having you back with us on your next trip to South Padre Island.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Lansing MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

This was our first time at this resort. Our price for one night was $229 and that included our waterpark tickets- When I was making a reservation on line for a room at $189 it would say "error" so I had to call the hotel direct. At that time I was told the room I was trying to reserve on line was not available and that's why I got the "error" message. The price is pretty much worth it if you're main purpose to stay at this resort is for the waterpark. If you subtract the cost of each ticket to the waterpark(3 for us) our room rate would be $129. Other hotels in the area were alot more expensive just for a room.

The resort allows you to enter the water park on the arrival day which is great because you can't check into your room until 4pm. and they also allow you to use the water park the day of check out.- nice too.
The bad thing about it is that you actually have to "check in" twice. Once when you arrive to get your waterpark bracelet and then later after 4pm to check into your room. We left our luggage in our car and carried a small bag with our towels and cooler to the water park. The park does provide small lockers for guests to use.

The check in area/lobby is a very small area and the check in desk is right by the entrance and it gets very congested and confusing as to where one should go. Normally when you check into a hotel-you dont have to bring everyone in your party to the front desk- but here you do because the staff has to put the waterpark bracelet on each person. It is a bit time consuming and that's why it gets so crowded. I did like the "room key" is a bracelet and therefore I didnt have to worry about losing the room key.

Room- My room was in the main building on the sixth floor. I thought the room was average size, we had 2 queen beds, micro/fridge. Our room was Partial Oceanview/pool view. If I looked hard enough I COULD see the ocean but I didnt feel the VIEW was worth the extra $20 they charge for that type of room. A pool was directly underneath and it was well in my view but to me- since the rooms didn't have a balcony - there was no benefit to the view.
Bed- was comfortable and the pillows were nice.
Air-condition- worked very well- at one point it was too cold in the room- but then again we had just come in from the park with our wet bathing suits..
Bathroom- what a joke. IT was so TINY. It was a nice bathroom but it was way too small. It would have been nice if they would have combined the bathroom and sink area so it wouldn't feel so small.The water pressure in the shower wasn't as strong as I am used to but it was okay.
Furniture- was nice- cool bedside table.
Clean- Yes our room was very clean.
Check -out- was a mess. There were 3 people working the desk and lines were not very organized. People would just walk right up to the desk and get waited on while others (me included) were waiting patiently in line. After waiting over 15 minutes to check out -staff announced that if we were in line to get new bracelets for the water park to go to the gift shop and someone would help them there.The line went down a bit but not much. It bothered me that the staff didnt tell the people walking up to the desk to get in line- and wait like the rest of us were doing. I generally don't mind someone cutting in line everynow and then but this was ridiculous and finally some of the people in line began to complain and if someone walked to the desk that wasn't in line- they were told to get in line- but from other customers not the staff.
We didn't use room service but we did have drinks at the bar near the beach. The staff there was very friendly and even kept the bar open a little later than the time posted. I am assuming because there was quite a few people having drinks and they welcomed the business.
Elevator in main building- was really slow and the hallway near elevators on 6th floor were really warm.
Other than check in/out I would say this is a great place to stay if you want to have beach access and be at the waterpark. If you are looking for a quiet relaxing resort this may not be the one for you- expect to see alot of families with infants/toddlers/teens. and expect to see people walking in there bathing suits and barefoot all over the place.

Room Tip: If a room without a view is available- go for it. Rooms with a view aren't worth the extra money...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for choosing the Schlitterbahn Beach Resort for you vacation, and thank you or taking the time write a review about our Hotel. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that the value was well worth it. I will address the line issue with our front desk staff to make sure that the next guests served are the ones that are supposed to be next. We look forward to having your family stay with us again.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

I've read most of the recent reviews about this property and have to say our experience here (our first), was similar in many ways, without hardly any of the reported complaints. I wish people would keep in mind that this "Resort" is a Waterpark resort, and not a resort in the traditional way like out in the hill country where you are waited on hand and foot. We have stayed at many of those and this hotel is not aiming to be like that. The main attraction for staying here was that you could walk downstairs, check out some towels and jump right into the Water attractions that Schlitterbahn is known for. First - the front desk staff was extremely polite and helpful, and we even got upgraded to an Ocean front room because our room was not ready on time (we didn't even ask). There were some small lines, but nothing ridiculous. Gabrielle was up there several times during our stay and was always friendly. The rooms were extremely clean, the beds comfortable. I think everyone agrees the actual bathroom is too small, and could benefit from a drying line in the tub, or at least a few more hooks somewhere, but the fixtures were all nice and the wooden furniture was awesome given the story behind it. We usually stay away from hotel restaurants, but we wanted to eat open air over the water one night, so we went up to the Sea 4 Ever restaurant and were pleasantly surprised. The service was very even and attentive, the menu was focused so that the meals were well executed, and the view fantastic. We asked them to split a Caprese Salad and they came out with 2 full salad plates and didn't even charge a splitting fee. If you are looking to enjoy the waterpark and the beach with the least amount of trouble, it is worth staying here, even if there is no room service or other traditional "Resort" amenities. It is geared for families, and since we thoroughly enjoyed our selves, I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Rene V, Manager at Schlitterbahn Beach Resort, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our Hotel. I will tell Gabrielle the wonderful comments that you made about her, she is a great asset to the front desk staff. We have installed some of the bathtub drying lines and are in the process of completing this project as this is being written. We thank you for your business and we look forward to seeing you and your family in the future.
Fort Worth, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

We had planned on staying at the resort for 6 days. We arrived late on the first day, stayed the "2nd" day and were gone by the next morning.

First, there were not enough check in employees. The wait to check in just to get our room (Beach view in the "newly renovated") was unacceptable. We had to wait easily 15 minutes to get our room. I've never checked into a hotel that immediately charged my card for the full amount. AFter checking my bill, I discovered that there was a varying rate per night. When I made my reservation, via the phone, I was told it was a flat rate. When I discussed this with the front desk help later, (After standing in line yet again) I was asked for a written confirmation letter. Finally, the front desk person found some notes in my reservation and said that "This time she would GIVE us a flat rate, but next time (FAT CHANCE) I would need a written confirmation letter.

Also, being charged the full amount up front made checking out very confusing and yet another opportunity to stand in line.

Then there were not enough bellmen and/or luggage trollies. We usually just trolley our own bags, but I'm not opposed to a good bell person's help us either especially when it's our first time to a new resort area. The bellman was very nice and informative. He even mentioned that our room was newly renovated and the new tempu-pedic beds. WooHoo! We have 3 of these beds at home and now the trip is (we think) looking up. The resort even advertises they have tempur-pedic beds on their website. I don't know where they were hiding them, but they weren't in our room. I was so disgusted, that I stripped the bed to verify the manufacturer "Denver Mattress Company".... NOT Tempur-Pedic. Upon our departure, when I mentioned this to the front desk person, she said that she didn't know anything about it.

Then there was the ice machine right outside our door and Mr. "I have to have ice at 6:30 a.m." that we heard the 2 mornings we were unfortunately there.

These people do very nice waterparks, but they are clueless when it comes to hotels. Do NOT be sucked in by their ratings. Stay somewhere else and just visit the waterpark!!! We moved to the BridgePoint condos and had a lovely, restful stay with excellent service.

Room Tip: Dont' choose any room here!!!!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Rene V, Manager at Schlitterbahn Beach Resort, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Thank you for giving us feedback from your stay. My apologies for you being told that we have Tempur-Pedic mattresses, we do have high quality Denver mattresses in all of our rooms. I was unable to find on our website where it says this as well but we will keep looking, we do not want to mislead any of our guest. We will also address your additional comments with the rest of the staff as well.
San Antonio, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

After reading the Tripadvisor reviews of beach front hotels in SPI we decided to spend one night at the Schlitterbahn Resort. Check in was easy and the girl at the desk was very nice. The AC at the lobby wasn't working so it was quite muggy but still the staff people had a good attitude. We spent the day in the water park and the beach and everything was OK. Then when we went to bed I felt something crawling on me, I turned on the light (after about 30 minutes on being in bed) and I saw the bed bugs, they were all around our pillows and they had bitten my husband already. They were also "surrounding" my 7 yrs old daughter in the bed next to us. This was at 11:30 pm so my husband went to tell the people in the front desk to give us another room so we could take a shower and get out of there. The guy in the front desk was very nice and apologized and said that last week they had had bed bugs problems, so I guess they didn't deal with them and still exposed customers to this situation? The whole ordeal was horrible, they wouldn't comp us a room in another hotel and we had to drive home that night (5 hour travel) The worst part was seeing my daughter crying and being very upset because she woke up scared in the middle of the night and her vacations were cut short. Disgusting! Do not stay in this hotel.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Rene V, Manager at Schlitterbahn Beach Resort, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
Our apologies for what happened that night. I am glad that I was able to speak with your husband about the situation. As we discussed on the phone, the only challenge we’ve had has been with a few wood beetles in one or two rooms due to the amount of natural wood in our hotel – that’s what our front desk clerk was referencing to when they mentioned “problems.” Your report was the only one we have ever had of a bed bug. According to the pest control specialist we brought in within 12 hours, the only way these could have come in (we have concrete walls and are brand new) is if another guest brought them in inadvertently on an old blanket or pillow.
Here’s the update on the situation: We have done a thorough inspection of this room and the surrounding rooms. No bugs made their way into any other room in the hotel. We DID NOT find any evidence of this issue in any other room besides the room that you were in. We have the room sealed off and we are making sure they have been eradicated.
And, as a side note, the wood beetles have also been eliminated from the rooms .
Austin, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

The rooms are modern and clean. Our maid couldn't speak a word of english but she was a sweetheart and cleaned our room well. The staff overall were very nice.

There are no amazing but scary slides like the rides in New Braunfels which was fine with me. I'm afraid of heights. I loved riding the lazy river to our next ride. This park is geared towards children and my 11 year old loved it. The extra hour in the morning was great for the wave torrent which can get really crowded.

Next time I won't spend the extra for the "partial" view and aim for a lower floor. We ended up on the top floor for the view and spent a lot of time waiting on the elevator.

Room Tip: Skip the ocean view which will put you on the highest floor. Opt for a lower floor to spend less ti...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
We are glad to hear the your and your family had such a great time. The "Exclusive Ride Time" for Resort guests only is a tremendous perk.
Austin, Tx.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

We spent one night here during the middle of August. Parking is tight at this venue, but we could find a place every time we needed to. Check in is hit or miss with crowds. The lobby is way too small for as many people that are checking in/out at certain times. I found the check in area packed with people (most often), and other times with very few people (less often). The rooms were comfortable, but ours reeked of cigarette smoke. I complained twice. They did send a maid to "help" with the smell. She sprinkled some powder on the carpet and vacuumed it. It masked the smell somewhat. Our stuff still reeked of smoke when we got home.

When buying our room, it said we would get a partial ocean view. It was just as they said. We could see some of the ocean, at an angle, between the low parts of the building next to us. I wouldn't have paid the extra for it, but there were no cheaper rooms to be had. The "view" is not worth the extra money.

Access to the beach and water park were easy. It was nice to be able to be at the beach for a while and then walk a couple of minutes back to the water park. The bigger part of the water park is a little longer walk, but it's nice that most of the rides in that part are accessed from the lazy river. You can always be in the water that way.

We could definitely go back, but I sure hated signing a paper that said it was a non-smoking facility and having to deal with someone else breaking that rule. Smokers, don't ruin someone else's stay because of your bad habit!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for the feedback about your recent stay with us. My apologies for the smoke smell from the other guest room, we do out best to catch the culprits right a way when we get a complaint. We are non-smoking facility. The access to the rides from the lazy river at the outdoor park is a great perk, you get to stay cool while waiting for your turn.

Been to Schlitterbahn Beach Resort? Share your experiences!