“Excellent stay!” 5 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   100 Padre Blvd, South Padre Island, TX 78597   |
McAllen, Texas, United States
“Excellent stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

My stay was booked through my city for a conference. The room was very clean and the linens were good quality. My friends' twins had loads of fun in the children's pirate ship pool. Plenty of friendly staff on hand to help. We dined at the new rooftop Sea4ever restaurant. The Mahi Mahi was excellent and fresh shrimp were delicious. This new dining area features repurposed log beams and even the rope around the pillars were repurposed from the port of Brownsville. Manager Mike was on hand to talk to guests and the musical guest was surprisingly awesome, playing songs from James Taylor to Paul Simon. The conference room was beautiful and well appointed. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Rene V, Manager at Schlitterbahn Beach Resort, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Sea4Ever is a great spot for dinner. The crab finger appetizer and Veal Chop entree are my favorites. Thank you for taking the time to write a review for our Hotel and Sea4Ever Restaurant!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

My family and I spend a few blissful days on South Padre Island nearly every summer. In the past, we’ve enjoyed the space and comfort of condos as well as the ability to cook whenever we wanted. But now that I’ve visited Schlitterbahn’s Beach Resort, which offers everything onsite that a family would need to enjoy an island vacation, condo stays may be a thing of our past.

Schlitterbahn Beach Resort is an equally relaxing place for a girls’ weekend getaway and a family fun vacation spot. The rate for a “stay and play” package (accommodations and waterpark passes) may be somewhat higher than what you would pay for a typical hotel on the island, but it will cost less than most condo stays per night. And, so much more is included when you stay: two waterparks with trained lifeguards and indoor/outdoor rides and splash areas for kids of all ages; easy beach access and the ability to book/rent watersports equipment onsite; four restaurants and several bars all inside the resort; and comfortable accommodations close to all of the fun.

My only complaint (and it's a very small one) is that the bathroom in our beachfront room was very small.

Schlitterbahn Beach Resort is a terrific "one-stop shop" for parents who want to get away to the beach, but who also don't want to traipse around the island to restaurants and activities once they get there. Schlitterbahn provides everything you need onsite to have an authentic, fun, and relaxing island trip.

Room Tip: Beachfront rooms have awesome views!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
I am glad to hear you had such a great time at the Hotel. We do offer a "one stop shop" for your vacation needs, and I appreciate you putting it so eloquently. Thank you for taking the time to write a review for our Hotel!
Denton, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

We spent a great weekend at the Schlitterbahn Beach Resort and would definitely come back. Our suite was perfect for our family. The kids loved the bunk beds, and we all enjoyed the full kitchen. But, the washer and dryer was the best!! I loved throwing our wet bathing suits in the dryer and the sandy clothes in the dryer.

The kids loved both the indoor and the outdoor waterparks, but they preferred to go around the Torrent River again and again. They spent hours in the river and begged to stay longer. Loved the beach access!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Rene V, General Manager at Schlitterbahn Beach Resort, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the Family Suite. We have several in our inventory and they are going fast, I think the secret about the washer and dryer is getting out. I appreciate you taking the time to write a review about our Hotel, hope to see you soon.
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

my husband and I took a mini vacation on may 3,4,5 2013 and we went to schlitterbahn in spi we had the best weekend ever or at least in a long time i will recomend this resort to any one, staff was very friendly and attentive to our needs. for sure is a very nice resort and it was a lot of fun so we are planning to go again around july but with our children this time and for a longer period of time over all this resort is the greatest to take a vacation. keep up the great work to all the staff.

Room Tip: for sure the rooms looking out to the swim up bar
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
I'm glad that you had such a great time. Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our Hotel.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

We stayed Friday to Sunday and my kids were smiles all the way!

We loved the heated pools, the carousel and the indoor water park that are included in your hotel. The outdoor water park is not included, but the additional cost is cheaper then purchasing separately.

The restaurants were great and not too pricy. The breakfast tacos and pancakes at the cafe by carousel are huge!

My favorite feature is how convenient the beach is. We packed an ice chest and rented an umbrella and 2 chairs, which was $8 total after 2 pm.

We would love to come back! May seems like the perfect time, not too crowded, not too hot!

• Stayed May 2013
Thank you for the great comments! The Tacos at the Loblolly Grill are my favorite as well. We look forward to your return.
Fort Worth, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013 via mobile

First, the staff was excellent. Very friendly and respectful, however, It goes down from there.
1. It is not well advertised, however, your hotel cost does not include the water park.
2. When you do use the water park, be careful. My 8 year old son was in the lazy river, and gashed his foot on a screw sticking out of the drain. The on site medic, suggested stitches, but luckily, we were with a PA. She guided him to use the proper devices to prevent a trip to the emergency room. One would think that a simple apology from the manager would be in order. Nope....not a word from them.
3. The facility is waaaay below resort quality. The rooms are ridiculously small. A room with two queen beds (sleeps 4) and had a sink that had about 6" of space on either side, then the wall. Absolutely no space to store bathroom items.
4. ....More restroom issues. In order to get into the bathroom and shut the door, you had to actually get into the bathtub. Yes....get into the bathtub.
5. We had a view that looked at the ocean......which was nice, however, cleaning windows is evidently not a task they care to do at this hotel. With the dirt/salt that coated the window, we couldn't see much.
6. The Beach. The crew cleaning the beach did a great job every morning. My guess is they contracted that out. If you care to sit on the beach....bring your own chair. This place doesn't let you sit on theirs for free. So how much does it cost? 5$ a day? nope...try $30. oh...i forgot....they give you a discount for staying with them....so they dropped it to $20 per chair, per day. (yes, after paying $350/day hotel fee, stick it to me with another fee)...i like that feeling.
7. The staff, though nice, cannot make a decision. Seemingly because managers do not empower their employees. So, if you want anything done, forget talking to the staff....just ask for the manager....but don't expect them to be 'available'. See #2 above. So, i gave them my business card and asked to be contacted. Nope...must be too busy renting beach chairs to call guests.
8. If you choose to stay in a beach front room, be prepared to haul your luggage about 400 yards through their complex to get to your building. Oh...and the only path is outside. If it rains on you, tough.....they won't help. They can't without calling the manager....see #7.
9. Food at the sea side grill was good enough to come back....even though i wouldn't stay here again. Again, staff there were great and friendly.
10. Construction made it a bit complicated to get to the entrance, but they did a good job with signage to get you there.

Overall, a very poor performance for a 'resort'.

So Schlitterbahn, you got the hotel fee out of us for this trip....but that's it. You lost us. The Pearl, next door, would have been a far better choice.
You will get a better deal staying at a cheaper hotel and paying the fee to hit their water park, if you dare.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Rene V, General Manager at Schlitterbahn Beach Resort, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for the hotel. I apologize for the trouble that you had during your stay and assure you that is not the norm for our Hotel. I am sorry that you never received a call back, I personally call back every guest that has an issue that i am made aware of or comes across my desk. Please allow us a second chance and I guarantee you will not be disappointed.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

I had a great time. The place is awesome ! The staff was awesome ! Renee the manager was awesome ! Plan to go again soon ! I really like the wrist band key card for room. No need for a wallet cause you can get money on a wrist band as well use it to buy food and if you don't use all the money its refunded.

• Stayed April 2013
I appreciate your comments about our Hotel. You are able to charge to your room from any where in the resort and also at the main Waterpark as well. The room key wristbands are pretty cool too.

Been to Schlitterbahn Beach Resort? Share your experiences!