“Hotel seems secondary to waterpark” 3 of 5 stars

You added Schlitterbahn Beach Resort to your Saves list
Schlitterbahn Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   100 Padre Blvd, South Padre Island, TX 78597   |
Texas
“Hotel seems secondary to waterpark”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013 via mobile

The hotel looked nice but there were some quirks. This was an out of season stay- indoor waterpark was open. Indoor waterpark was fun for small kids but we are glad we didn't have to pay full price because we were done in 2 hours. Heated pool (very warm) was best of stay.
Service was iffy. Staff seemed agreeable but it took extra effort to have things done. Had two maintenance issues although they were taken care of quickly. Maid didn't come one day and we had to request the room made up. Another day, we requested music turned down at pool (only ones there)- they said yes right away but never did. Also, husband was there for conference. They tried to charge for him to use waterpark because they said everyone in room had to do. They refused to change it when i requested it. They changed the charge when he went to complain- but it should have taken care of when I first explained it.

Room had everything. I was impressed by organic products and recycled tp, but bathrooms are small. Without a door to sink, there is no place to change for privacy unless you stand in bathtub.

Also, beach part is ignored. There was trashed tent sitting on beach right in front of hotel that was never cleaned up for 4 days.

For work/ conference/ early risers, everything starts too late. You can't get breakfast until 8. Would have been nice to have coffee bar of some kind on the property. Staff at restaurant was friendly.

• Stayed April 2013
Rene V, Manager at Schlitterbahn Beach Resort, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Thank you for your comments. We are proud of the fact that we utilized elements that have been re-purposed or recycled from other places. Here at Schlitterbahn Beach Resort we take pride in the fact that we keep as small of a carbon footprint as possible. Along with our Bath Amenities we have re-purposed wood throughout the Resort that was reclaimed from Bastrop Texas and Navy Ships that were being taken apart for their steel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

My husband and I arrived today 4/12/13 in the afternoon.
Summarizing our 1st day experience; we had to call the police in order to make the management staff who handles the security service let us in. The manager of this place has no customer service skills whatsoever, he is rude, arrogant, narrow minded, cocky, and to top it up a lair. After we had the security staff put on a yellow bright neon color wrist bands, I said to my husband; I do not have a problem wearing this bright color band while inside the property, however I have the right to choose if I feel comfortable going out for dinner wearing a nice dress and as an accessory a plastic neon wrist band. I want to drive to the close by cities, visit some friends. I just do not feel they have the right to make me wear this band outside their property. Naively I went to talk to the manager who basically with the attitude that I just described above said, "this is the rule and if you do not like it you don't have to stay here you can go somewhere else”. I felt very strong about feeling like a marked animal wearing this band for the whole week of my vacation outside their property. I have traveled all over and I have never in my life experienced such an awful treatment in a place that I am paying for and that the least I should be expecting is a great customer service. The reason why the police came to assist us was because I turned the band inside out so the bright color will not show -as we went out for dinner, and my husband tried to losing it up a bit , so the security was instructed by the manager that if the bands were not the same way they were put on, that we will not be let in; all our belongings were in the room, we have already paid for the week. So this was the manager's way to get back at us because I said that I was thankful for the internet and that he was going to be reading the bad reviews I was going to write about this place. When my husband talked to him and placed his hand on this guy’s shoulder saying that we did not want any trouble and that he did not know what his problem was, he said to the police that my husband became very aggressive!!! So when I talked to him earlier he was okay disrespecting me and pretty much kicking me out of the place, but he was a crying baby when my husband talked to him. Unbelievable!, now we are trapped here because I am not about to lose my money, but I will keep you posted as I am intending to write everyday about my experience in this resort. I have no idea who to call or who can assist us as we feel unsafe with this type of treatment!!! If you are thinking to buy or rent, reconsider is not worth it! This people need desperately an intensive customer service training. We understand they have to enforce if people are out of line, especially during spring break. Spring break is over and we are not out of line. The only line he needed to use with me was " I am sorry you feel this way, there is nothing really I can do for you, this is for your safety............" you know use diplomacy, common sense and most of all have respect for the guests. This is what happens when you have an underpaid individual with an inferiority complex running a place.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Brentwood, Tennessee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

To call this a resort is almost criminal. The accommodations are adequate at best. For nearly $600 a night we rented a suite. Nothing sweet about this suite however. It reminded me of my first apartment, not much on the eyes and only one sink in the bathroom! It was clean at least. Because it was early in the season, we spent extra to stay here so we would have access to a heated pool and a swim up bar. Ha! During the week the bar was not open and they turned the heat off so one day and night the pool was intolerable. Not only that, but we could have stayed elsewhere and still purchased access to the indoor waterpark which would have saved us a ton of money and provided nicer amenities. We wrongly assumed as guests that there would be areas or features only for us. Disappointing to pay the money and deal with crowds at every turn.
We found the staff to be extremely courteous and they really tried hard, but when there is anything out of the ordinary they lack either decision making or empowerment to do the right thing. They are quick to apologize for shortcomings, but don't expect anything more. The lifeguards and first aid personnel at the waterpark were very vigilant and appeared to be experienced which was refreshing. If it were a more appropriately priced property I would have rated average or even good. For the money it is a horrible value. To call it a resort is absolutely laughable.
Pro's
Clean
Friendly enough staff
Mostly quiet rooms
Comfy beds

Room Tip: Size up. Ours was to sleep six, we had three. Good thing because it only came with one sink, four...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Rene V, General Manager at Schlitterbahn Beach Resort, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We did perform some routine maintenance on our Palapa Pool heater just recently, and my apologies for this affecting your enjoyment of this area. We try to do these tasks when it affects the least amount of people.
McAllen, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

This is the WORST hotel that I ever stay in as far as service go - all the way up to the general manager the GM is a air headed and close minded and will not help my small problem he even had a the narve to charge me for that, the front desk also will not help you with your problem all they do is function as cash register,
the hotel management will charge your for everything a dome fees (that not included in resurvation and this is just-because-Fees with no sens ) and will not hear you out and you can forget form getting normal service
I stay in the this "MOTEL" in spring brake 2013
I WOULD-NOT stay in this hotel ever again (yes NOT even for free)
I WOULD-NOT recommend this hotel to Freinds or Any-one ales not even for free,
The water park is in low quelaty park and You will not getting what you pay for,completely waist of your Money!!!

Room Tip: Tip: do not go to this hotel! EVER I would rather sleep in ,y car in a gas station and not comeback...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
We appreciate your feedback and I apologize for any trouble you had during your stay. During "Spring Break" we try to protect the Families that we have visiting with us. We limited the amount of people in rooms and do not allow any outside visitors to enter a guests room after a certain time period. This really worked out well for us and during "Texas Week" we did not have a single noise complaint from any room.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is addition is under construction, therefore I can understand some of the issues. Here is my review:
1) The rooms are very small and, not in any way a luxury or deluxe room.
2) Room service was horrible! A cleaning lady emptied one garbage and exchanged towels while I was brushing my teeth. Wow! Oh, and only came once other than than the first example during a three day stay.
3) There was no room service. Honestly, I have not ever stayed in a hotel without room service. Just very inconvient.
4) The water park was freezing. You could not possibly stay more than two minutes in the water park. My baby started screaming the water was so cold. My eight year old wanted to leave as well therefore we payed $225 for five minutes. Great deal!
5) The beach access was excellent, and the staff were friendly and kind.
6) The restaurant outside by the beach was great, good food, and friendly staff!

Therefore, pros and cons of the stay! You decide!

• Stayed March 2013
My apologies for the issues that you had during your stay. We are rolling out our room service menu for the upcoming summer season. Thank you for the feedback.
San Antonio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

I took my kids there for spring break. Upon entering the room which cost nearly $300/ night we were instantly disappointed. The rooms were small and cramped. One could barely fit in the bathroom. I was told that we could fit six in the room, so we brought six. On the phone, upon making the reservation I was told the water park would be $25 per person and a rollaway bed was available for the extra people. I accepted that , but when I got there, I was told the water park charge was $25/day per person and that there were no more roll away beds. After I had a fit about the roll away bed not being available after I was told the room would sleep six the manager came up with a roll away bed and charged us $60 for it. The room then slept 5, not six!! It was most uncomfortable. The indoor waterpark consisted of a lazy river two slides and a warm pool. The outdoor park wad mot open. One day of that is plenty. The on site food is mediocre at best but the shrimp house (off site) is good. The beach access was nice (definitely the best part). However, all of the hotels there have beach access for a lot less. I recommend staying somewhere else and just getting a one day ticket to schlitterbahn (if the outdoor park is open)

• Stayed March 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to give us feedback. We do allow up to six in a room, with a max of only four adults. This way parents with three or more kids do not have to go through the extra expense of renting another room. We do offer Roll-A-Way beds and Portable cribs to our guests (for an additional fee), but they are available on a first come first served basis. The resort "Stay and Play" fee is $25 per person per day, and compared to a $44(approximately) day pass to the main waterpark or $29(approximately) during our indoor only season is a remarkable value. The "Stay and Play" portion of your stay gets you access to the waterpark for the whole day of arrival thru the whole day of departure, so there is an extra day of access for free.
Arlington, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I saw the wonderful website for Schlitterbahn Beach Resort Padre Island with a "heated" indoor play area and wanted to treat my family to a great spring break. I booked 3 nights at $359 which was to include the "heated" indoor water park. After I booked the room online I found out that the waterpark area was another $25 per day per person. For the 4 of us we now had another $100 per day. I had a real water park in mind along with a beachfront room. Here we go on what we experienced.
1) we couldn't find the entrance and went to the old park first. They directed us to a service road and at the end we met a security guy and a police man. They looked us up and down and finally told us that the resort entrance was in the back of an apartment parking lot.

2) we entered the lobby and saw another police man who gave us the once over! We checked in and found out we would need 2 bracelets put on our wrists for the entire visit! Ok so we went to the room and looked at the Beach via a dirty window. Can't they clean the window for $529 per night? The room was also very tiny and we could barely find room for our bags on the floor. The beach side pool was not heated and was full of sand from people rinsing their feet from the beach. No one was using and very tiny from the view from our window.
3). The indoor heated water park is full of daily fee users who brought their food in to eat. The water park is not for hotel guest. The people were huge and didn't wear bathing suites but t-shirts with undergarments. They brought in bags of chips and soda and I saw sandwich food and jars of pickles. They were not from the hotel. The water is ice cold and not heated! No showers!!! Bathrooms very far away and I didn't see anyone using them! I went to the bar and asked for chips and was told they were 3.25 a bag and asked if I still wanted them. I really don't care about the price if I am already paying $529/night! The water park is half closed and unheated. Not worth the price of the room or an additional fee of 25/person for hotel guests!
4) no breakfast included in the room for $529/night!
5). The really small hotel pool for the guest is heated but there is no way for kids to play in there along side adults. It is no more than 15X10ft but is the heated pool for hotel guests! This is for us paying 539/night!
6). We went from staying 3 nights to running out of the hotel as fast as possible and going down to McAllen to an open Hilton Honors property. This was the worst hotel I have ever stayed at!!!

Schlitterbahn should be ashamed. I will never return to this property or any other one of theirs with my Family. I am will to pay for service but this was a violation. Restaurants are aweful and small, you have to pay $25/person in additional to the hotel stay to gain access to the cold and hide water.

Schillterbahn- this place is a joke. If you go you will feel aweful.

No waste your money and don't go.

Bottom -Line- the kids ok. Lee you.

now have to find our way to Disney.

• Stayed March 2013
Rene V, General Manager at Schlitterbahn Beach Resort, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Thank you for taking the time and writing a response. Being a new resort we are not showing up on any of the "Map" services yet, and we are working on correcting this issue. Schlitterbahn Waterparks has always allowed our guests to bring in their coolers and ice chests at all of our parks. We keep the water in the river between 84-86 degrees, our heated pool that is outdoors at 94 degrees, and our Pirate's Cove kids area at 94 degrees as well. I appreciate the feedback.

Been to Schlitterbahn Beach Resort? Share your experiences!