“Too costly for what you get” 3 of 5 stars

You added Schlitterbahn Beach Resort to your Saves list
Schlitterbahn Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   100 Padre Blvd, South Padre Island, TX 78597   |
San Antonio
“Too costly for what you get”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

I took my kids there for spring break. Upon entering the room which cost nearly $300/ night we were instantly disappointed. The rooms were small and cramped. One could barely fit in the bathroom. I was told that we could fit six in the room, so we brought six. On the phone, upon making the reservation I was told the water park would be $25 per person and a rollaway bed was available for the extra people. I accepted that , but when I got there, I was told the water park charge was $25/day per person and that there were no more roll away beds. After I had a fit about the roll away bed not being available after I was told the room would sleep six the manager came up with a roll away bed and charged us $60 for it. The room then slept 5, not six!! It was most uncomfortable. The indoor waterpark consisted of a lazy river two slides and a warm pool. The outdoor park wad mot open. One day of that is plenty. The on site food is mediocre at best but the shrimp house (off site) is good. The beach access was nice (definitely the best part). However, all of the hotels there have beach access for a lot less. I recommend staying somewhere else and just getting a one day ticket to schlitterbahn (if the outdoor park is open)

• Stayed March 2013
Rene V, General Manager at Schlitterbahn Beach Resort, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to give us feedback. We do allow up to six in a room, with a max of only four adults. This way parents with three or more kids do not have to go through the extra expense of renting another room. We do offer Roll-A-Way beds and Portable cribs to our guests (for an additional fee), but they are available on a first come first served basis. The resort "Stay and Play" fee is $25 per person per day, and compared to a $44(approximately) day pass to the main waterpark or $29(approximately) during our indoor only season is a remarkable value. The "Stay and Play" portion of your stay gets you access to the waterpark for the whole day of arrival thru the whole day of departure, so there is an extra day of access for free.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Arlington, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I saw the wonderful website for Schlitterbahn Beach Resort Padre Island with a "heated" indoor play area and wanted to treat my family to a great spring break. I booked 3 nights at $359 which was to include the "heated" indoor water park. After I booked the room online I found out that the waterpark area was another $25 per day per person. For the 4 of us we now had another $100 per day. I had a real water park in mind along with a beachfront room. Here we go on what we experienced.
1) we couldn't find the entrance and went to the old park first. They directed us to a service road and at the end we met a security guy and a police man. They looked us up and down and finally told us that the resort entrance was in the back of an apartment parking lot.

2) we entered the lobby and saw another police man who gave us the once over! We checked in and found out we would need 2 bracelets put on our wrists for the entire visit! Ok so we went to the room and looked at the Beach via a dirty window. Can't they clean the window for $529 per night? The room was also very tiny and we could barely find room for our bags on the floor. The beach side pool was not heated and was full of sand from people rinsing their feet from the beach. No one was using and very tiny from the view from our window.
3). The indoor heated water park is full of daily fee users who brought their food in to eat. The water park is not for hotel guest. The people were huge and didn't wear bathing suites but t-shirts with undergarments. They brought in bags of chips and soda and I saw sandwich food and jars of pickles. They were not from the hotel. The water is ice cold and not heated! No showers!!! Bathrooms very far away and I didn't see anyone using them! I went to the bar and asked for chips and was told they were 3.25 a bag and asked if I still wanted them. I really don't care about the price if I am already paying $529/night! The water park is half closed and unheated. Not worth the price of the room or an additional fee of 25/person for hotel guests!
4) no breakfast included in the room for $529/night!
5). The really small hotel pool for the guest is heated but there is no way for kids to play in there along side adults. It is no more than 15X10ft but is the heated pool for hotel guests! This is for us paying 539/night!
6). We went from staying 3 nights to running out of the hotel as fast as possible and going down to McAllen to an open Hilton Honors property. This was the worst hotel I have ever stayed at!!!

Schlitterbahn should be ashamed. I will never return to this property or any other one of theirs with my Family. I am will to pay for service but this was a violation. Restaurants are aweful and small, you have to pay $25/person in additional to the hotel stay to gain access to the cold and hide water.

Schillterbahn- this place is a joke. If you go you will feel aweful.

No waste your money and don't go.

Bottom -Line- the kids ok. Lee you.

now have to find our way to Disney.

• Stayed March 2013
Rene V, General Manager at Schlitterbahn Beach Resort, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Thank you for taking the time and writing a response. Being a new resort we are not showing up on any of the "Map" services yet, and we are working on correcting this issue. Schlitterbahn Waterparks has always allowed our guests to bring in their coolers and ice chests at all of our parks. We keep the water in the river between 84-86 degrees, our heated pool that is outdoors at 94 degrees, and our Pirate's Cove kids area at 94 degrees as well. I appreciate the feedback.
McAllen, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

We wanted to take a little break from everyday routine and decided to book a nite at this resort, January is still cool in the Valley, we heard about the heated pool and indoor water park and we were curious to check it out. It turned out it is a great place, we got a room with view to the pool, it was super clean and the bedding was supreme! A flat screen tv with HBO channel, microwave, refrigerator, coffee pot, etc... , and the indoor park includes the classic lazy river, I mean wild river! the experience was so much fun, the temperature was over 80, the water warm, it wasn't crowded at all, keep in mind is a fairly new place so not many people heard about it yet, I bet it will be crowded in summer, the park is available to visitors for a fee, not need to book a room but with ours the fee was included in the room rate. There is a large little kids pool area, a carrousel, restaurant and playground indoors, the heated swimming pool outside, just for guests, was the best with a full service bar right in the water, water was actually hot, there is also a rooftop bar & grill, and a beach view restaurant. When I called the girl that helped me with the reservation was informative and courteous, but the check in and check out was slow and crowded. Nevertheless, we will go back again soon!

Room Tip: Make sure you indicate if you want a handicapped room, we were given one in the first floor without...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Rene V, General Manager at Schlitterbahn Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a response. I am glad you had such a great time. We are looking into ways to make our Check-in procedures go a little faster for our guests. The Torrent River is my favorite as well. Please come back and see us soon.
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

Decided to take a last minute get away from Houston over Christmas break with the kids. Arrived late Sunday evening. Monday was a nice enough day to sit on beach for a bit with a book. Went to front desk to ask for pool or beach towels.. was told I have to go back up to room and get one of our room towels to use and then trade it in... Really? so yup that was it... back down hall, wait for elevator to 3rd floor, back to room, get towel... then head to beach again... for a new resort the beach chairs are old and the tag says $30.00 for 2 chairs and umbrella per day! So bring your own chairs and beachtowels. ( Why can you sit in a chair by the pool for free but you pay for the old ones on the beach?)
Also we arrived late on Sunday so as expected the water park was closed. We were able to enjoy the few slides open on Monday.... but on Tuesday nothing opened till 4!! We thought we would have 2 days with the water park. So we headed back to Houston.
Also would be nice to have a spa or a adult only hot tub or section of the swim up pool bar.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Rene V, General Manager at Schlitterbahn Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for our Hotel! We are in the process of getting pool towels for our guests to use while they are here to prevent what you had to go through. The price for the umbrellas and chairs on the beach is the standard price Island wide, and we will work on the quality of offerings on the beach as well.
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

Our week long stay was nothing less than fabulous. We stayed in an ocean view room and watched the sunrise every morning from our bed as we woke. Wonderfully comfortable California King beds with down comforters...heavenly! The room was well appointed with a great layout and comfortable furnishings and ameneties.

The indoor water park was amazing. After Christmas Day when it was 86 degrees and beautiful on SPI, a cold front came to town and we were worried about having a fun time in the water park. Much to our surprise, when we arrived at the indoor waterpark bundled in our sweaters and jackets to stay warm, we were thrilled to enter a toasty warm environment riddled with laughter and down home good fun. As we strolled thru the park we observed guests in their swimsuits floating down the river, lounging on the chairs relaxing and we peeled off our sweaters and coats and jumped right into the fun. How did they do that? Schlitterbahn created an entire new world amidst the cold outdoors.

The Sea4Ever rooftop bar & grill was closed the evening we attempted to visit due to the inclement weather, but we were very impressed with the space and the view. I can see how they came up with the name of the place as the views went forever and we look forward to visiting this on our next visit.

The Shrimp Haus restaurant was our New Years Eve destination with a $45 prix fixe meal with live entertainment and dancing....what a great value.

Overall, we were disappointed that our timing to SPI included a cold front, but Schlitterbahn did not dissapoint and we are so looking forward to returning soon.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for writing a review for our Hotel! I am so glad to hear you such a wonderful time. I am sorry that you couldn't enjoy our Sea4Ever during your stay, but that just means that you will have to come back to experience it. Thank you and we look forward to hosting you and your family again.
Seattle, WA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

OK so Schlitterbahn (been to all in Texas) is a bit of an odd ball place.

On the one hand, they build water rides that are better than Disney (amazing rivers, water coasters, etc) yet on the other hand there's always a few things that just feel off. Don't get me wrong, with these guys the pros typically outweigh the cons, it's just odd (and somewhat frustrating) that they can't seem to go "all the way" and just make it truly special.

This "resort" is an interesting example of what I mean. On the one hand, they have this great outdoor pool/bar with a cool statue in the middle and nice wooden details. On the other, the pool itself is too cold (EVERYONE was complaining about it) and it backs up to garage doors (yes, the kind you drive your car through...) It's just kind of a "huh, what were they thinking?" sort of thing.... Oh and aside from this lukewarm pool there is NO hot tub at the resort?!! What's the deal with that? Huh? What were they thinking?

The indoor waterpark is very similar to Galveston, except smaller. The river is fun, but again, it's too cold! Almost every adult I saw was commenting on it, (and several commented about the fact that they raised this issue with management and were politely blown off). Aren't you supposed to feel warm at an indoor waterpark? This is an ongoing unresolved problem as we visited in late December. Also, apparently because of this water heating issue, half the river (the part that goes outside) is now closed until the summer because they claim they can't keep it warm... Huh? What were they thinking? A warm river that dashes outside sounds fun!

Torrent River aside, there's no other Schlitterbahn "signature" attractions at the indoor waterpark. No boogie bahn! No water coasters! Just a torrent river and two ***slow*** loading tube slides.... There is a nice little kids area, but it's nothing not found everywhere else.

The final "huh, what were they thinking" is the rooms. I realize this is a remodeled Holiday Inn, but who would do a new hotel on South Padre where the rooms have NO balconies, or even windows that open?

Again, we are huge Schlitterbahn fans. The park in New Braunfels is unlike anything else on the planet. It's just the little "huh" and "why'd they do that" that I can't seem to understand with them....

Finally - this park is NOT worth the $30pp they charge visitors who aren't staying at the hotel. Look for a coupon or don't go.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Rene V, General Manager at Schlitterbahn Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our resort. We appreciate the comments and will address them accordingly. We do have a "signature" ride for the resort that is in the process of being installed. It is called "Surf 360" and is a unique ride that allows the rider to surf a continuous wave as the ride actually rotates around the person. Really cool!
South Padre Island, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

We have stayed twice at this new resort! What a blast! Both times we never left the property, there was so much to do. My 8 year old loved the waterpark so much, I thought I'd never get him out of the water. There are several bars that offer everything from Raspas to Dipping Dots so when he wanted a break, there were fun treats for both of us. The Loblolly Pizzaria has great pizza that he couldn't get enough of. The resort has a beautiful carousel that offers rides to everyone of all ages. There were also little rides for the kids to play on in this area. The gift shop offers great island themed Christmas decorations which made great souvenirs of our stay, not to forget the Yellow Box shoes that I picked for myself.

I especially liked the Sea4ever Rooftop Tapas restaurant! It was fantastic! The views, the food, the service, it was a great evening. Live music too, plus an area for the kids to play. You will want to sample all the selections they offer, The Filet Sliders & the Scallop Martini was my favorites, and my son loved the Sampler which offered a selection of wonderful meats & cheeses and other goodies.

The Seaside Grill offers Eggs Benedict and yummy Belgian Waffles, we also had Filet & Lobster one evening. Again, great food and service.

The room were wonderful, lots of handmade woodworking throughout! The furniture is all made from wood that came from the Bastrop Fires, it was beautiful. The beds and linens are super comfy.

All the staff are friendly and I can see why they all have smiles on their faces, it would be a great place to work! The resort has a great story behind it, we found it very interesting and can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Get the family suite, you won't be disappointed!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for the great review! I am so glad that you and your child loved the resort. With all the options from the Waterpark to the Food & Beverage outlets there is plenty to do and eat around the property. We look forward to having you stay with us again.

Been to Schlitterbahn Beach Resort? Share your experiences!