“AWESOME HOTEL” 5 of 5 stars

La Quinta Inn & Suites South Padre Beach
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   7000 Padre Blvd, South Padre Island, TX 78597   |
“AWESOME HOTEL”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2005

We stayed at the end of the summer. The hotel was great. It was very clean. The rooms were very large and comfortable. The prices were reasonable for the time period we were there; during the week they were a really good bargain compared to other hotels which had much less to offer. They are pet friendly. There were many dogs there, and still everything was in good order. All the rooms have a view of the ocean. Some have a full view for $20 more, but the partial view is awesome. The staff are very helpful and friendly. The complimentary breakfast was very enjoyable. This hotel is definitely on my list to stay at again. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed August 2004

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2005

My family (2 adults and 2 kids ages 4 and 6) just got back from a week in South Padre. I thought the La Quinta was very nice.

I think the nicest things about the hotel are:
-very clean
-beach/pool towels provided at pool
-very short walk from hotel to beach. I visited three other hotels during our stay and found they each had a farther walk to get on to the beach (even though all were considered to be "on the beach")
-refridgerator and microwave in every room
-Queen size beds
-Great breakfast
-nice view if you were in the ocean front rooms(by the way if you are going to pay for ocean front rooms I would go to the Radisson and get a pool side view. The price will be almost the same and the Radisson is georgeous! However, the Radisson does not have Queen size beds, no fridge, no microwave, and no free breakfast (unless you are in the condos)

***If you do not get ocean front rooms ask for a room on the left side of the hotel (if you are facing the beach) the view is 10 times better!

Things I did not like about the hotel:
-not landscaped very well
-pets are allowed and believe me, MANY people take them up on this! I never saw any pet messes, but it just grossed me out to think a dog may have been peeing in the room a week before and now my family was in the room.
-small pool, but very nice

I would definetly return to this location again.

• Stayed August 2005
Vienna, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2005

If you're looking for a beach resort, then you probably won't find it at the La Quinta. It is, however, a nice beach motel with LOCATION! It is on the quiet northern end of SPI. I took my 2 20-year old daughters. Our room was on the northern side so we had a wonderful ocean view from the window and balcony. It was spacious with 2 double beds, a sleep sofa, micro, fridge and TV. The bathroom was also quite large with a wonderful shower. The staff was accommodating but not overly so. I found the best way to get what you needed was to go in person (not the phone) and wait. I would catch the non-English speaking maid when she was working on my hall and ask for more towels or glasses by using my fingers or holding up whatever I needed and was always provided more. Leaving a little tip was my way of thanking them. The room was a little musty smelling but it is the beach. Kids were frequently playing computer games, pushing in front of you on elevators and dropping food in the breakfast room. But the gulf view is amazing and the pool chairs are plentiful AND you are RIGHT ON THE GULF. If you want an umbrella and chairs on the beach, be prepared to take cash down ($20/day) since it's not operated by La Quinta. Go to Scampis at night (early) for dinner (a great sunset view over the bay) and go to Naturally's for a healthy lunch. It was a great beach vacation.

• Stayed August 2005
victoria
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2005

We were told we had a room with a view of the Gulf. When we checked in all we had was a view of a wall from our first floor room. The room was nice enough inside and the jacuzzi was a bonus. However, the customer service was the worst we have ever had in any hotel anywhere. No one that works in this hotel is friendly or helpful. The housekeepers just ignore you without a word or a smile. The front desk is not much better. They only speak to you when they are spoken to because they have to. A manager at the front desk had to help a girl at the check in desk with our
reservation. The manager never even spoke to us just pointed to things on the computer and his employee had to do all of the talking for him. We tried three times to get a blanket and pillow for the sleeper sofa in our room. We finally were given an extra sheet but never could they get us an extra pillow.(gee thanks!) My husband, two young girls, and myself had to share a King size bed since we did not have enough pillows or blankets for the sleeper sofa. Why have a sleeper sofa if there are no linens for it? Also, the sleeper sofa is very small. We were never thanked or even smiled at the entire time we were there from anyone that worked in this hotel. We overheard other guests complain about the unfriendliness, too. No one in this hotel looked very happy. They do have 3 computers in one area for guests to use. There is no privacy while on the computer and beware that kids are in there most of the time playing on the computer while adults are waiting in line sometimes 30 minutes or more to use the computer. The pool is nice enough but small and crowded. The beach is not very nice at this location either. We decided to change hotels on our second night of our stay. The beaches are much nicer the further south you go. We will never stay at this La Quinta again.

Austin, TX
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2005

I booked a room at La Quinta largly based on the reviews from this website. We booked a suite as we're travelling with young children. I was AMAZED at how FILTHY the room was! (I should mention I have low standards for cleanliness) I still cannot get the dirt stains off my crawling 9-month old's clothes! Furthermore the room was musty and humid. I may have read that on other reviews, but words cannot describe the utter dampness I felt at all times. For example, our books were wet with the dampness from the room, our potato chips were soggy, etc. After being on the humid beech all day, the last thing I wanted to do was to continue to feel wet.

I don't blame the hotel for this, but just as a warning -- the hotel hosted a wedding our first night on the 4th floor. Our room was on the 2end floor. The noise of the wedding caused our room to SHAKE! Try getting babies to sleep with a shaky, noisy room! When I called to complain the hotel staff told me to "deal with it"!!!!!

I would NOT stay here!

• Stayed May 2005
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2005

My husband and I and our 6 year old daughter and pet dog, Princess, just returned from a 4-night stay at the La Quinta and were very pleased! We heard about this hotel because it was a pet friendly hotel and we had read such great reviews on the trip advisor. Our room was a large king size room with a jacuzzi tub on the first floor of the hotel. The room was very spacious with a separate sitting area and had a door out to the patio for us to let Princess out. Unfortunately our jacuzzi tub did not work but they did make every effort to repair it while we were there. The staff were friendly. The access to the beach was the best on the island! (Isn't that what it is all about anyway!) The pool was nice but small. The snack bar by the pool was great to grab something light for lunch. The breakfast was sufficient with great cappucino. I was extremely impressed by the lack of noise heard from other pets since there were quite a few hotel guests that brought their dogs. The parking was never an issue for us since we usually only left the property once a day. The onsite concierge was convenient and we were able to purchase discounted tickets for our day at Schlitterbaun. All-in-all we were really impressed and will definitely stay here again.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2005

We stayed at the La Quinta for 5 nights during July. Upon check-in, we requested an upper floor room on the north side of the hotel, and were able to get one on the 3rd floor. The upper floor north rooms have an unobstructed view of the relatively undeveloped beach and dunes to the north of the hotel. If you can get a room in this area or one with a pool view, you will have a spectacular view from your balcony.

The room was spacious, with a living area in the rear of the room that had an tv stand holding a TV, microwave, and small fridge; a small table, two chairs, a sofa and coffee table, as well as the window and doorway to your private balcony. The balcony had two plastic chairs. The rest of the room contained two queen beds, another end table, low dressing table and mirror, small desk with power and data outlets, the bathroom, and a closet with a small electronic safe and iron. The beds were comfortable and we slept well every night. There are ice and vending machines on each floor, as well as a centrally located coin-operated washer and dryer.

The only problem we had while at the La Quinta was with the safe. Sometimes it would not lock, and sometimes it would lock but then not open (scary!). Once we had to call the front desk to have it opened as it refused all attempts. From then on we no longer locked it due to it's quirky refusal to sometimes release our cash and valueables. While in line at the front desk one day I also heard another customer complaining about their safe, so I believe this might be a common (but in my view minor) problem.

I used the high speed data line in the room for our laptop and had no problems connecting, and had good speed throughout our stay. They also have 3 computers downstairs for Internet access, but most of the time they are occupied.

Housekeeping was thorough and fast - the only mystery was what time they would arrive. One day they were there as early as 10 am, one day as late as 6 pm. They were always friendly, but spoke little English. Requests for towels, etc. had to be relayed to the front desk. The front desk staff were always efficient, fast, and extremely helpful no matter what time of the day or night I called or visited them for assistance (additional towels, wake up calls, etc). I really have to hand it to the La Quinta cleaning staff, they were always cleaning somewhere - you could not walk through the hotel without seeing something being cleaned! You would expect a beach hotel to be wet and sandy, but in our week they were always constantly cleaning - any sand seen was always gone when we went back by.

The hotel is really right on the beach - just walk out the rear and by the pool, down the ramp and you are in the sand! The pool seemed small for such a large hotel, but hey - we sure weren't stopping at a pool when the beach was only a few more feet away. The beach was well maintained, with sand the color and texture of brown sugar, and the water, while not clear, was clean and there was little seaweed and no jellies.

We took daily advantage of the breakfast La Quinta offers. The waffles are very good, and they also have many other items - fruit, bagels, donuts, cereal, hard boiled eggs, 3 types of juices, etc. The breakfast is served from 7 to 9. If you're heading for waffles (seemingly the most popular item) here's a hint: arrive before 8 to avoid the lines. Between 8 and 8:30 everyone seems to wander down and the waffle line gets quite long (still bearable). I hit it a few times just after 7 and there were waffles ready to go.

The parking lot is nice but very narrow, I am assuming it was built that way because that is the width of the land that was bought for the hotel. Finding a parking space in the early part of the day is easy, but after mid afternoon it gets more difficult. On more that one night we got the last or next to last spot way at the end. However it is well lit and we had no problems with the walk.

The location of the hotel on the north end of town was not a problem. In fact, we saw it as a bonus. We were still close to all the major attractions, but the La Quinta beach is less crowded and there is almost no traffic in front of the hotel.

On a fun side note, try taking a bagel or some leftover bread outside on your balcony. If you see the gulls nearby, try breaking it into small pieces and throwing the bits into the air - we had about two dozen gulls that would dive on the pieces and catch them in mid air! It was a really neat sight.

I recommend the La Quinta South Padre without reservation. Everything about the hotel was fantastic; we will definitely stay there again on our next visit, which we are already looking forward to.

• Stayed July 2005

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites South Padre Beach? Share your experiences!