“South Padre Vacation” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 33 Hotels in South Padre Island
Fort Worth
“South Padre Vacation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Padre South Hotel had exactly what I needed for my trip. My mother likes to smoke and she wanted a hotel on the beach. It was clean and the staff was very friendly and accommodating. Despite the fact that they didn't offer a breakfast bar or room service, the kitchenette made up for it. All the appliances worked, and they had dishes and pots and pans to use. We had a queen size bed and a sofa sleeper. The sofa sleeper was pretty hard to sleep on, but the queen bed was nice. The Padre Bar located directly next to the hotel was a gem. Harry, the bartender was friendly and even made my mother and I an authentic Indian dinner. Seriously delicious! (Ask about it) The hotel is not the Hilton, but it's affordable and clean. I highly recommend if you're on a budget!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

i recently Stayed At This Hotel ON April 19 THRU 21, 2013. i would Like TO Comment ON THE Customer Service At This Hotel . A Few Days Later After I Checked Out Of This Hotel. I Realized I Left A Blouse IN The Room That Cost ME 75.00. I Have BEEN CALLING AND CALLING And just Get THE Run Around From The Staff saying That They Throw AWAY Anything That Is Left Behind There AFTER 1 TO 2 WEEKS After Checkout. I Didnt Think That They Would Be HONEST and Turn ITEMS in That Were Left Behind TO LOST AND FOUND
AND Another thing No Hot Water At All While I Was There
AND Water Leaking From THE Toilet Everythime You Would FLUSH IT......

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Midwest
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Let me just say, "you get what you pay for" at this hotel. I would rather pay a few extra bucks in the future. The lobby was utter disappointment. It looked as if they had hit up a few garage sales and just threw pieces of furniture together. Coffee (only) was offered in the mornings and there was one single microwave for the entire hotel to use next the the coffee pots. The interior flooring and furnishings have not been updated since the 70's, the Wifi SUCKS, and maid service is extremely slow. The owners have not spent a penny on improving this hotel and it will eventually be run in to the ground.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Gardner, Kansas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel back in February 2013. Not the best place, but not the worst until we went out to the balcony one morning and looked down. The maintenance man was spray painting a refrigerator in a parking space right next to my new 2012 Camaro SS. It had overspray on it but thank goodness we went to the car wash right away and got it off. He was also bumping up against the passenger side door leaving scratches as he had tools in his back pockets. Why on earth would you be doing work like this in the parking lot when we saw an area in the back of the hotel for doing stuff like this? Also, the appliances were not in the best shape, and there was no coffee maker in the room. If you walked across the floor in your bare feet, they bacame black as the carpet was in dire need of shampooing. We will never stay here again and would not recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Little Rock, Arkansas, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

This hotel is terrible, terrible service, small rooms, and over priced us. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. First thing that went wrong was 2 days before checking in i called and asked to check in early. The lady on the phone said yes, that is very possible. She said let me check, and put me on hold. She came back and said yes, you can check in at 1, 2 being the latest. So we planned our 16 hour journey to arrive at that time. We arrive at 1:30, they tell us the rooms not ready yet. Told us 30 minutes so 2. We were totally cool with that. So at 2, the rooms still not ready they tell us 3 this time. This began to upset me and my party. So at 3 they finally let us in, the maids are at the opposite end of the floor, meaning i doubt our room was not ready before 3. The second major complaint, was after getting into our room and getting settled in, They call us telling us we still owe them 210 dollars for the 5th person we brought. When we were checking in, with the 5th person, all getting and having to pay for wristbands. They did not mention anything about extra fees for a 5th person while we were checking in getting the wristbands. They called us and told us if we do not come down and pay it, they would call the police and have us all evicted and will not get any money back. Considering we were already paying $1600 for 6 nights more then most the people in the hotel we found out about later on in the week. So they charged us $210 more for the 5th person. That is just ridiculous, this hotel DOES NOT do business right. They DO NOT treat their guest the way they should be treated considering how expensive this hotel is. My last complaint is that every time we asked the front desk a quick question. "Where is a good bar?" or "What is a good lunch spot?" They acted like it our fault we didnt know, and acted like it was a big deal that we were asking them. So rude, even when i asked to speak to a manager she was rude to me. TERRIBLE SERVICE, THIS HOTEL SHOULD NOT BE MAKING MONEY. DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR MONEY.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

Was there this past weekend and really enjoyed myself. The room was stocked with pots, pans, plates, glasses, cutting board, dish towel and more. The only thing you had to have was food and utensils. It has full refrig and 4 burner stove. Room was nice. Had one bed and sofa bed. This was during Spring Break and this was ouur family vacation and it was very secure and safe. Everyone was very nice. Building is old and room are a little out dated but I didnt care as long as it was clean and everything worked. we were rarelyy in the room anyway. Will definitely stay here when we come again.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
grand parairie, tx.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Started off with high hopes, found rate on web, so emailed the hotel to see if they wanted to match rate and save 3rd party fees. GM agreed to do this. Turned out that we were able to extend our stay by two nights, so we asked for rate for two extra nights. GM quoted a really high rate for the extra nights, so looked on web for rates, found a reasonable rate and forwarded it to hotel GM to see if she wanted to match again. She refused, and cancelled out previous reservation. We then booked through a website at a rate about $50.00 lower than GM offered.......odd that she would rather pay 3rd party fees than match rate.....oh well.

When we arrived, hotel had a musty smell, and the reception lady was indifferent at best. Went to room and elevator was quick and clean. Hallway had the same musty smell as did the room, which was simply old and tired. 1970s furniture (old sofa with rips, old mattress, 1980s refrig, tube tv, no coffeemaker) but morning view from balcony was magnificent!

Housekeeping ladies were very nice and pleasant. My g/f is hispanic and we conversed with HK in Spanish and they were the nicest politest folks at this hotel without a doubt. Front desk folks were not so pleasant.

Friday night the drunk folks across the hall came in @ 2:30 and were running up & down the hall laughing and yelling for about an hour before we finally called front desk. First call to front desk went unanswered for 15 rings, hung up and called again and answered in 6 rings. It is not management's fault that other guests are inconsiderate, so we do not hold them against the management....not at all.....just know that this is a party area and this CAN happen.......the test is what management does about it.....in our case, the noise did stop aboput 30 minutes after our call to the front desk was answered (about 4:00 in the morning)

Check out was just like check in, cold and robotic.

Decent value for a family with kids, rooms big enough for a family of 4 for a fair price. Probably good for a group of teens/young adults to share a room to save cash and go to SPI to party. Would not recommend for any other visitors. There are many other options for couples or other vacationers that are a better value and a lot nicer properties.

Room Tip: SOuth side had morning sun, north side has evening sun