“Low key and that's just how I like it” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Palms Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in South Padre Island
The Palms Resort
You added The Palms Resort to your Saves list
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   3616 Gulf Boulevard, South Padre Island, TX 78597   |
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
“Low key and that's just how I like it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014

Needed a place to stay one night on SPI. Totally will endorse this place for its location, value, and old school beach resort vibe. The beaches at SPI are lined with all sort of high rise condos and beach homes. The Palms has a low key charm to it. Rooms are comfortable, with kitchen facilities if you need them. Nice to walk on the beach right out the property gate. Restaurant on site as well as pool, but I can vouch for neither. I'm sure it feels different on a busy spring break or holiday - or even just a weekend. It was quiet on the weeknight I was there.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
tmetty, Owner at The Palms Resort, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
Thank you so much for your wonderful review. We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback. I was so pleased to read your review because your experience is exactly what we hope to achieve every time. And the good news is that we don't take spring-breakers (at least not those under 25 years of age), so that low-key charm you felt in May is what you feel year-round with us.

I hope you'll come back long enough next time to enjoy our great restaurant too! The food is very good and the drinks are very refreshing .... just what you need to take the edge off business travel!

Thanks again for taking the time to post this. It means so much to us that you enjoyed your stay and that you shared that with others.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Harrogate, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

Stayed at this hotel on 6th,7th May and all I can say is we will be back to stay.
It's full of old charm and the views from our room of the sea an south padre beach were amazing.
The restaurant is one if the best on the island with daily specials, plus the staff are very friendly.
Outside the pool area is great very quiet, with nice relaxing Sun lounges to relax on.
We had a great time, plus the room rates were good.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
tmetty, Owner at The Palms Resort, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to give your feedback. I'm delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us....and I appreciate that you shared your experience with other Trip Advisor readers.

We look forward to hosting you again when you return to beautiful South Padre Island!

Thank you.
Humble, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

My wife and I have been staying here for quite some time. We love the Motels old time charm and friendliness of the staff. Everything is well kept and clean. We believe the restaurant is one of the best on the island. It is usually taken over by winter Texans in the first couple of months of the year. Thy just to the overall charm and feel of the place.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Gurnee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

The reason I am sharing it, instead of keeping it to myself, is that we probably won't ever be back in that area. We took a few days after a business trip to drive down to Padre Island National Seashore on the Gulf side of Texas. (the National Seashore is absolutely wonderful. You could walk, swim, fish, beach-comb, sunbathe, or even DRIVE on the flat, smooth miles of beaches!) We did not have a reservation but knew we wanted to stay on the beach in a small, privately-owned family type motel, and WE FOUND IT! Super-clean, super-friendly staff, and very convenient to all the restaurants and attractions. They have a small pool with chairs to relax in the sun, and their own bar and restaurant on-site. Our room had a small kitchen/lounge, a bedroom area, and a nice bathroom. Ceiling fans were nice, too.
If you want a super-fancy high-rise place, this is not it. If you want a wild party, go elsewhere.
The best parts are the reasonable price and walking right onto the beach.
There were no worst parts.

Room Tip: We saw several rooms and they all seemed nice.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

Stumbled across this place a couple months ago and I have been coming here every time I am in town for work. It is the hidden gem of South Padre Island. The rooms are very spacious and the restaurant with its great happy hour is exactly what you need after a long day. Great access to the beach and pool has a great view. Rates are very low in the off season...

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Spicewood, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

Beautiful setting. Clean rooms. Mighty fine bar/restaurant.

Our air conditioner was noisey so we were quickly moved to another room.

I could not find an ice bucket to make my wife and I a drink or two. It was our anniversary and we wanted to celebrate after an evening out. I called the front desk. No ice buckets/no ice machine. They said we could get a little ice from the bar.

My job as a road agent keeps me in hotels over 175 nights per year. I've never been in a hotel that did not have an ice maker. Ruined my stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Bloomington, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

I stayed at the Palms Resort with my girlfriend for a week at the end of June. We had some problems checking in but all went well after that. I had read all the reviews that this is basically just a 2 story motel, but we thought it was a little nicer than just a standard motel room. Plenty of room and a little kitchenette area with a bigger fridge than we thought. Decent firm bed with a pillowtop I believe. Plenty of cupboard space but nothing in them. Some silverware and dishes would have been nice. I also recommend getting some suction cup shelves for the showers. There's no where to put shampoo or soap. My biggest complaint is the water though. The tap water on the island is the worst I've ever experienced. Showering, brushing teeth, or ordering a water from the cafe was the worst part of our stay. I highly recommend that management get an RO water filtration system for the whole place. What a difference that would make. The pool is small and kept very warm. It was great for an early morning or late evening swim but too warm to cool off in the heat of the day. The cafe was pretty good but a little over priced. They had the best burgers of any place place we tried with thick crispy bacon and the fries are outstanding. They seemed almost deep fried. Breakfasts were also very good. Excellent pancakes and real maple syrup. Certainly better than the top ranked Yummies Bistro which had fake syrup. You can't trust some the reviews on here. A lot of them have got to be faked. A couple of the smoothies we ordered were a bit warm and gritty though, while others were good. I do NOT recommend trying to catch a buzz here. The beer choices are poor and the drinks are weak. The best part of this place is the location. It is a little crammed with condos on both sides but the view and the beach are still spectacular. You can't see the ocean from your room window but all you have to do is step outside the door. I recommend the 2nd floor on the right side for the best view. All in all this is a nice little place. We could have stayed at a nicer place or a cheaper place but we couldn't find a nicer place for cheaper.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Palms Resort? Share your experiences!