“Amazing Find!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Palms Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in South Padre Island
The Palms Resort
3616 Gulf Boulevard, South Padre Island, TX 78597   |
Louisville, Kentucky
“Amazing Find!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

Stumbled across this place a couple months ago and I have been coming here every time I am in town for work. It is the hidden gem of South Padre Island. The rooms are very spacious and the restaurant with its great happy hour is exactly what you need after a long day. Great access to the beach and pool has a great view. Rates are very low in the off season...

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business

116 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Spicewood, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

Beautiful setting. Clean rooms. Mighty fine bar/restaurant.

Our air conditioner was noisey so we were quickly moved to another room.

I could not find an ice bucket to make my wife and I a drink or two. It was our anniversary and we wanted to celebrate after an evening out. I called the front desk. No ice buckets/no ice machine. They said we could get a little ice from the bar.

My job as a road agent keeps me in hotels over 175 nights per year. I've never been in a hotel that did not have an ice maker. Ruined my stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Bloomington, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

I stayed at the Palms Resort with my girlfriend for a week at the end of June. We had some problems checking in but all went well after that. I had read all the reviews that this is basically just a 2 story motel, but we thought it was a little nicer than just a standard motel room. Plenty of room and a little kitchenette area with a bigger fridge than we thought. Decent firm bed with a pillowtop I believe. Plenty of cupboard space but nothing in them. Some silverware and dishes would have been nice. I also recommend getting some suction cup shelves for the showers. There's no where to put shampoo or soap. My biggest complaint is the water though. The tap water on the island is the worst I've ever experienced. Showering, brushing teeth, or ordering a water from the cafe was the worst part of our stay. I highly recommend that management get an RO water filtration system for the whole place. What a difference that would make. The pool is small and kept very warm. It was great for an early morning or late evening swim but too warm to cool off in the heat of the day. The cafe was pretty good but a little over priced. They had the best burgers of any place place we tried with thick crispy bacon and the fries are outstanding. They seemed almost deep fried. Breakfasts were also very good. Excellent pancakes and real maple syrup. Certainly better than the top ranked Yummies Bistro which had fake syrup. You can't trust some the reviews on here. A lot of them have got to be faked. A couple of the smoothies we ordered were a bit warm and gritty though, while others were good. I do NOT recommend trying to catch a buzz here. The beer choices are poor and the drinks are weak. The best part of this place is the location. It is a little crammed with condos on both sides but the view and the beach are still spectacular. You can't see the ocean from your room window but all you have to do is step outside the door. I recommend the 2nd floor on the right side for the best view. All in all this is a nice little place. We could have stayed at a nicer place or a cheaper place but we couldn't find a nicer place for cheaper.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

Looking for a great beach hotel, ON THE BEACH, we found it with The Palms Resort. Clean spacious rooms, comfortable sleeping and the best breakfast cafe in town! Wish there were stove top to cook, but we managed with other food we brought and enjoyed dinner at local favorite restaurants. Everything on the beach on South Padre Island is pricey during high summer season, but this was worth every penny! I decided to splurge on easy beach access from our room than on anything else during our visit. A great decision.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a 5 day getaway to the Palms. We had an awesome trip. The Palms just has a different vibe to it. The rooms are nice, very clean, comfortable beds, good a/c, and good pressure in the shower, but it is not fancy. What sets this place apart is the people that work here. They are so nice, and treat you like you have been coming for years. Another huge plus of staying here is the cafe attached to the hotel. The food is outstanding, and the menu has something for everyone. When I caught my 24 inch trout, the kitchen cooked it up for us and it was delicious. I've only been home for a few hours and I already miss Karl, Robby and the rest of the staff.

Room Tip: I understand the rooms are pretty much the same except for king or queen bed. I had a shower in bat...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Baton Rouge, Louisiana, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

A friend and I booked this room at the last minute for July 4th weekend. We got the last room that was available. Once we arrived and actually saw this place, I was flabbergasted that this hotel was rated #5 out of 33 hotels in South Padre on Trip Advisor. Although the room was equipped with a small sofa and kitchenette, this hotel was VERY dated. To start, the room key was a real key, like from the 70's, with the resort's address and our room number on it. Not very safe if we had happened to lose a room key! Second, the bathroom - Smallest sink and shower area I think I've ever seen in any hotel. There was not even enough room for 2 people to stand in front of the mirror at the sink. The tub was a regular-sized tub with a showerhead that was absolutely HORRIBLE. No water pressure at all. Also, there was mold under the sink that smelled so bad when you opened the cabinet, we didn't even want to put any of our personal belongings in there. When we went to the front desk about the mold, all they gave us a bottle of generic Febreeze spray to mask the odor. The maintenance man was supposed to come look at the mold the next day, but I'm not sure he ever came (at least they never followed up to tell us that he had been in our room). We skipped housekeeping the next day because we honestly didn't feel comfortable with housekeeping in our room at this resort. When I went to the front desk to ask for more towels, I felt a little uncomfortable when they counted the towels they gave me and asked me for my room number, like I was going to steal them or something.

We had 2 meals from the Palms Cafe (one breakfast and one dinner), both decent for the price. It was about 11:15-11:30 in the morning and we wanted to order lunch, but we were told we had to order breakfast because they didn't start serving lunch until noon. We were a little put off by that, but we went with it. The little girl working behind the bar where you had to place your order, couldn't have cared less if we were standing in front of her. Her customer service skills left a lot to be desired. After sensing our frustration with her, the manager stepped in and answered some questions we had about the menu and agreed to make some substitutions for us free of charge that the young girl had previously told us they were unable to do. The positive things I can say about The Palms: it was located very close to the beach, the AC in the room worked very well, and the bed was pretty comfortable. Other than that, I would definitely not stay here again unless I was absolutely desperate. For $225/night, I was extremely disappointed and expected much much more for my money.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
tmetty, Owner at The Palms Resort, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Oh my - when it rains, it pours! We’re always so sorry to find out that we disappointed a guest-especially after they have already left. We can usually resolve any problem immediately if we know about it when the guest is here. We remember these two ladies quite well. They stayed with us Friday and Saturday night over the July 4th weekend in room 105. They were very friendly and fun, and seemed to enjoy themselves while they were with us. Let me address each of their concerns:

Yes-our building has been here since the early 70's, so this guest hit the nail on the head when she said we’re from the “70’s”! That is actually the feeling we want people to have when they’re with us. Our building was constructed as a two story 32 unit condominium complex. The building is old but extremely well maintained and very clean. We use old-fashioned keys because they work much better than key-cards in the salt air. The room number is on the key tag because not having it on the tag was a major inconvenience to our guests who forget their room number. If a key is reported missing we change the entire lock immediately. There is a deadbolt on every door which is only accessible from the inside of the room. We have never had an issue as the result of a lost key in all the years we’ve operated this hotel, and we’ve never had a security problem associated with having room numbers on keys. However, we will investigate new key tags that have the room number but not the name of the hotel on the tag.

With regard to the odor under the cabinet, we remember when the guest reported it to the Front Desk. We immediately offered to come to the room to investigate. The guest said no, and said she didn’t want anyone in the room. She said she just wanted something she could spray in the cabinet herself. We offered her the Febreze. We would have much preferred to investigate ourselves, but she made it very clear that she didn’t want anyone in her room. As she was walking back to her room, our senior front desk associate saw her carrying the Febreze and offered to come with her to help. Once again, the guest said that she didn’t want anyone else in the room, and said she was all set with the Febreze. That was the last we heard about the odor until we read this posting. We attempted to check the room the following day, but she had the Do Not Disturb sign on the door. Our employees have strict instructions to respect our guests’ privacy. If a Do Not Disturb sign is on the door, they do not knock or try to enter the room. When the guest checked out the following day, we immediately inspected the sink cabinet. There is no mold or mildew, nor could we detect any odor (other than essence of Febreze). We noticed that this guest stayed at another beachfront property that weekend and also posted a review on Trip Advisor. She observed an odor in that room as well. Since we weren’t permitted to enter the room while the guest was here, and since there is no odor now, I can only guess that this guest might be a little sensitive to the aromas of the Gulf of Mexico's gentle breeze!

I don’t know what to say about not trusting our housekeepers in her room. We have never had a problem with housekeepers in guest rooms. However, we know that this guest didn’t want anyone in her room….front desk staff, maintenance, or housekeeping.

Regarding her experience in our Café, it is true that on weekends we extend our breakfast hours to noon as an accommodation to the majority of our guests that like to sleep in on weekends, and enjoy a late breakfast. This guest came to the Café to order lunch “to go” at 11:15am. We have already talked about this with the server that took her order that morning. She is fairly new, but we have reinforced with her the importance of doing everything possible to accommodate our guests. The goal must be to delight every guest, every time. As the result of this posting, we also held a meeting with the entire staff of the Café and the Hotel to refresh everyone on the importance of delivering outstanding customer service every single time.

Once again, I am so sorry that we didn’t delight this guest. We take these comments to heart, and we learn and improve as a result.

Thank you.
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

We visit South Padre Island about 3 times each year. Each visit includes a stop at the Palms Cafe. While the cafe is overpriced, the location and friendly service can't be beat. The place we usually stay wasn't available for the first night of this trip, so we thought that we would give the Palms Resort a try, expecting to have a positive experience similar to the Palms Cafe.

Checking in went smoothly enough. We were shocked to see that the cost for our two small dogs almost doubled the rate, but we blamed ourselves for not reading the pet policy more closely.

Our first impression of the room was positive. There was a nicely-sized living area with a sleeper sofa, an ottoman, a small kitchenette with a microwave and a refrigerator, and a small table and chairs. The bedroom was furnished with a queen bed, two nightstands, and a dresser. The bathroom had a spacious walk-in shower with the sink positioned outside the bathroom area. We chuckled that the resort had pinched pennies by mounting the small TV on the wall so that it could be shared between the living and bedroom areas. The room was hot, but we thought that was because the A/C had been set high in order to save money.

Once we settled in for the night, the disappointment set in. The layout of the room placed a wall between the A/C and the bedroom. Even with the A/C set low enough that the living room could serve as a refrigerator, the bedroom was still uncomfortably warm.

Once we took our shoes off, we noticed how filthy the floor was. Housekeeping apparently sweeps the floor but doesn't sufficiently clean it. We also noticed all the mildew in the shower. Finally, we realized that they hadn't stocked the room with enough soap and gave us conditioner but not shampoo.

Checking out was painless enough, but we witnessed the disturbing treatment of another potential guest. A young man was attempting to stay with his wife and two young children (ages 2 and 4). Although he tried to convince the clerk that the 2 year old child would sleep with he and his wife, they refused to allow him to stay. While we understand that hotels have occupancy policies, the way the clerk spoke to the young man really bothered us. Having worked directly with customers for many, many years, we know that there is a right and a wrong way to deliver bad news.

Could the staff use a refresher course in hospitality and attention to detail? Absolutely. Are these problems bad enough for us to rate our experience as 'poor'? No. Is this resort nice enough to deserve a premium price? Definitely not.

If the staff would polish their hospitality skills and bring their prices in line with the quality, it would be a reasonable place to stay. However, with the premium pricing, the experience was definitely out of line with our expectations.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
tmetty, Owner at The Palms Resort, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
We’re sorry we fell short of this guest’s expectations. Fortunately, we were able to speak with him following his Trip Advisor posting, so we gathered some additional information that aided us in our research. Let me address each of the concerns:

They reserved one of our most popular rooms (#216) during peak season at a rate of $185/night. They paid a pet fee of $75 for their two dogs – not even close to almost doubling the rate as their posting states. We charge a pet fee because everything in the rooms is sent out to be professionally cleaned before we can rent the room again. In addition to that expense, our housekeeping staff spends twice as much time cleaning those rooms to get them ready for the next guest. Most hotels no longer take pets, but we’re happy to offer this option to our guests and we make no apology for recovering the additional costs we incur associated with our 4-legged guests.

When a room is unoccupied, we set the a/c unit at 75 degrees to conserve energy. With an outside temperature of 85-95, most guests find this to be a comfortable temperature upon arrival. We will investigate removing a section of the wall area that divides the bedroom from the sitting area in some of our rooms. That, in addition to the large ceiling fan in all bedrooms, should allow for excellent circulation of air-conditioned air.

The tile floors are stripped, cleaned and resealed regularly. They are also thoroughly cleaned between guests. After speaking to this guest, we looked at the floor in that particular room. It had just been stripped and sealed a month earlier, but this particular floor has highly textured tile making it more challenging. We re-stripped and cleaned the floor again two weeks ago and it now sparkles! We also met with Housekeeping to review the process for cleaning these highly textured floors.

We stock all rooms with two bars of soap, a bottle of shampoo and a bottle of body lotion. That is sufficient for most of our guests, but we are always happy to provide more to any guest that asks.

We’re at a loss on the comment about how another potential guest was treated by our front desk associate. Our normal occupancy limit is 2 adults and 2 small children, so it is difficult to understand why we would turn a potential guest away that had 2 adults and 2 small children. Regardless, we have shown this posting to all front desk associates and discussed the importance of giving outstanding customer service when interacting with all guests…even if we have to deliver bad news.

We were happy to have the opportunity to speak directly with this guest about their experience, and about the steps we’ve taken to address their concerns. Naturally, we would have liked to have the opportunity to address his concerns while he was at our hotel. In the end, he was happy that we talked with him about his posting and he was pleased with the actions we took. The greatest compliment of all is that he said he would stay with us again if his travel plans bring him back to South Padre Island. We can't ask for more than that!

Thanks again for taking the time to give us your feedback.

Been to The Palms Resort? Share your experiences!