“Comfortable and cozy...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Palms Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in South Padre Island
The Palms Resort
Save Saved
You added The Palms Resort to your Saves list
3616 Gulf Boulevard, South Padre Island, TX 78597   |
San Marcos, Texas
“Comfortable and cozy...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

I have stayed at the Palms Resort twice and thoroughly enjoyed it. Keep in mind that I'm a female in my mid-50s and I prefer a laid-back down-home feeling as opposed to upscale modern amenities. I like the fact that the rooms feel like a little apartment as opposed to a hotel room. Even though I've only spent a night at a time here, I am certain I would be comfortable spending a month or two here. They have a fridge, microwave, coffee-maker, internet and cable TV. They are right on the beach and have a restaurant on-site. I will have to say that I think the restaurant is a little pricey, but then again, I think ALL the restaurants on South Padre Island are pricey.

This is just a small, two-story property, and not a large resort-type hotel. Be prepared for that, or you will be disappointed if you are expecting frills. It is cute, clean, and the employees are courteous and helpful. It all depends on what you want in a vacation. If you want top-of-the-line amenities with all the luxuries, go to one of the high-end resorts on the island. If you want just a comfortable homey and cozy feel, you'll feel at home at the Palms Resort.

One thing I would suggest is that they update their TVs to larger flat screen units that sit lower on the walls. Even though I don't watch a lot of TV when I'm on vacation, the units they have near the ceiling that tilt to the living and bedroom areas are dated and small and it's kind of uncomfortable to have to look up so high to watch TV. Just my opinion.

I would have posted pictures of my unit, but they look exactly like the others already posted.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

While 'resort' may be a little grand for the size of this hotel, it's a very pleasant place to stay by the beach. The rooms are small suites on the order of an efficiency apartment, nicely decorated, clean , and comfortable.

The freshly painted canary walls are hung with unique paintings and prints with a beach theme. Curtains and lampshades display tropical leaf motifs. The sofa-sleeper in the sitting room is small and firm but serviceable.

The place is quiet and relaxing.

The Cafe on the Beach is a fun little spot to eat or drink within sight and hearing of the surf.

The beach is a short walk across the dune, and of course it is the finest in Texas, with clean sand and beautiful aquamarine water.

Padre Island Brewing, the execellent pub, is a few blocks walk toward the bay.

We were a little non-plussed to arrive to find the sign out front advertising a rate much lower than the one we got with our online reservation. Vouchers for a shrimp basket were a small consolation. Next time we'll call ahead a few days in advance. Even so, our online rate was pretty good.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms on the east end have the best beach view.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
FT Worth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

After eating at the Cafe many times, we finally decided to try the Motel. We usually stay at the Hilton and pay $$$ more. What I like about the Palm's is a direct beach access and you can actually see the water from your door or window if on the second floor. The room was clean with everything in order. The bed was a little above average and the shower was a walk in and not a tub shower. One of the best parts is the restaurant is right out your door and is one of the better spots to eat on the Island... the Don Julio margaritas are lethal. After having stayed at the Isla Grand, Hilton Garden Inn, La Quinta, etc.. It may not have all the amenities of the others, but it has a lower price and the essentials that make for a nice stay.

Room Tip: Try for a second floor.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

We just spent a weekend there. The staff was friendly, the room was clean and the restaurant had some of the best food on the island. It was great having the hotel on the beach with the restaurant over looking the ocean. We'll be back.

San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

My love and I took a short notice vacation and looked up many places we could stay at we booked, checked in and had such a great stay that we extended our stay here! The staff was helpful and friendly.... Thanks especially to Matt (who really made memorable moments) and Sarah (for recommending to check out Sea Turtle Inc!) No other place can offer a low key and comfortable stay! And yes "that's a ship." Thanks Matt!

Brownsville, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

Me and my wife expended last weekend at The Palms for first time. I had been in the restaurant tons of times, but this was our first experience in the hotel. I'm going to repeat the experience very soon. I really love it. Small, clean, quiet and the best of all is that they have the best restaurant on the Island.

McKinney, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

The Palms Resort is always a great place to stay. It is clean, friendly, and close to the beach. The cafe is fantastic. The food is always very good and it is open air right on the beach. Very nice views of the beach. We love South Padre Island and the Palms Resort make our stay feel like home.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Palms Resort? Share your experiences!