“Good deal for location and price!” 4 of 5 stars

Special Deal
Free Birding Tickets
Ranked #12 of 33 Hotels in South Padre Island
Fort worth
“Good deal for location and price!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

I read the reviews and was skeptical. I thought for the price we paid and the location, this hotel was great. First off Luis was the hardest worker I have ever seen. He was friendly and went out of his way to make sure adults and kids were happy. Kuddos to luis! Now the hotel is one of the only "budget" hotels that is on the guld side of the main road, making it easy to access the beach without crossing traffic. The private walkway was narrow, but a great way to get to the beach. The rooms were average budget rooms with plenty of room for two beds plus a table chairs and couch. This is not the Ritz, but it was a good average hotel. The tile floors stay damp with all the humidity and sand tracked in no matter how hard you try. The exterior is clean and well lit, the pool is small, but we were there for the beach.

Room Tip: Very spacious, with two beds and pull out couch.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
jedman, Owner at Travelodge South Padre Island, responded to this review, August 6, 2011
Thank you for your review. I think it is a very sensible review. As I have mentioned early our pool will be less crowed than our direct competition. We choose tile floors because with the humidity on the coast carpet creates an environment for bacteria and mold along with other hygiene issues. Your right having beach access to the ocean is better than not. Thanks again and hope to see you back soon. We appreciate your business. MK

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
San Antonio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

I am pretty sure everyone has heard the term 'you get what you pay for.' We booked this hotel on priceline for $100.00/night. Apparently, it was rated 2 stars. When we arrived, my room was hot and humid. The air conditioner did not work. I called the front desk, and the maintenance man arrived in 10 minutes. Instead of switching me to another room, all they did was remove the airconditioner from the empty room next door and place it in my room. The maintenance man said the air conditioner I had in my room was old and that it did not work well. By the time he finished drilling in the new one, it was passed 9 pm. After driving a long period of time from San Antonio, all we wanted to do was unpack and go out to eat. Well, that maintenance work cost us our dinner because most of the restaurants on the island were closed by 9pm. Mind you, this was on a Wednesday night. When we returned, my daughter slipped into bed and noticed that the sheets still had sand in them. Who knows when and if housekeeping cleaned the sheets. I had to call the front desk 3 times before someone answered. The tile in the room was still dirty, and I have to agree with other reviews that it is just not cleaned properly. Make sure to bring some house shoes if you plan on staying at this hotel because once you feel the grit on your feet, you start to wonder how clean everything else is. The bed was horrendous. I could not sleep the two days we stayed there. It was lumpy and I could feel the springs when I moved. On the last night, I noticed a bug circling where the microwave was at. Not sure if it was a cockroach, but I was not about to find out. The beach access was too far and not well lit at night. When you have children, coolers with food, toys, etc, it's not the best way to get there from the hotel. We ended up driving to a road with a beach access. Our room was located on the bottom floor and yes, you have to be careful not to slip from the air conditioning water that was leaking from each room when you walked on the walkway. The pool was clean, but too many people were in there. The door to our room, 106, also did not close or open properly. The mini refrigerator inside our room kept our water cool, but it still did not appear to be working properly. The ice machine was not working the following day we were there. The breakfast was not very appealing. I got a stomach ache after I had one of the donuts and coffee, so we did not eat there the next day. Overall, this was not a good hotel to stay at for the price that we paid. I would not recommend this place to my family or friends.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Priceline usually has the least desireable rooms in their system. Our housekeeping staff does a great job but if sand was tracked in it is going to stay there until it is cleaned again. Our mattresses are better than our liked price competition and we have many more amenities.
Fort Worth, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

Overall, the Travelodge did a good job. For the money it was an excellent hotel. Luis was hard working and very polite and fun. House keeping worked their butt off, and always got our room done in a hurry. Beach access wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. The front desk was just okay, I thought they could have been more polite. There was one time that my key wasn't working, and the girl at the front desk seemed that I was annoying her. But overall, the hotel was clean, plenty of hot water, and the people around us were all nice.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Thanks for your review. I think some people miss the point and that is you need to keep in mind the price point when you write a review. As we all know peak travel time are when many tourist related businesses make their money to get them through the much longer slower times of the year. I agree that we have the best product for the money than any other property on the island. Thanks and we appreciate your business and hope to see you soon. Thanks, MK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2011 via mobile

First of all, my hubby and I reserved before reading reviews and once I read the recent terrible experiences I was worried. BUT it was a great stay!! If you are a hotel snob this place isn't for you but if you are wanting the whole beach experience then this place rocks!! We loved the tile floors, shower, the bed, and the ceiling fan!! We also loved the location and proximity to the beach! The board walk is narrow but well lit! We will very likely be back for another visit at this hotel!

• Stayed July 2011
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2011 via mobile

We were so disappointed to get here and find out there was such a long walk to the beach. The boardwalk is enclosed and has no lights. Walked down the first night, very scarey! Not safe at night!! Pictures look like hotel was on the beach! NOT!! Maids left our dirty towels on floor in bathroom and only allowed us two towels even though we paid for a four person room and called daily begging for towels. The one day they left extra, they picked up our old towels and and folded them and left them on our toilet. Would not even hang them up. The floor was FILTHY!!! Also, maids left their trash in our room (cups and old keys on toilet and table.) Trash never emptied and sheets not changed the entire 5 night stay. Loud and long parties all night long, never slept a solid night!

• Stayed July 2011
Phoenix AZ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2011

As others did, I chose this motel based on Trip Advisor's rating. It's been rare that a rating has been way off on Trip Advisor (there are usually good and bad reviews that balance out), but I recommend that you pay attention to the most recent reviews regarding this property. Those are the ones that appear to be real.

This property is certainly not deserving of a number one rating. It is an older property, with average rooms. It certainly was a bonus to have a fridge and microwave; I did use the treadmill in the fitness center, and that was functioning; and I did appreciate the computer and printer available for guest use in the lobby. Other than those typical amenities found in many, many motels nowadays, there is nothing ~ I repeat, nothing ~ that would make me want to stay here again. Even the "famous" "amazing" customer service was non-evident.

Yes, it is a short walk to the beach, but looking around, there are other options to avail oneself of. There is just an odd vibe to this place. With the preponderance of fabulous reviews, it almost makes me question if those other reviews are authentic. I would not stay here again, nor would I recommend this place to others.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Austin, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2011

We had never been to South Padre before and we are a family of four. After reading reviews about this hotel and seeing it was rated #1 on tripadvisor, we thought we can't go wrong staying here. Bad mistake. On the plus side: there is access to the beach, they have a small pool and free breakfast. The negatives: dirty rooms, bathroom had mold and rust, dirty pool, staff not friendly (except for one staff member who worked at breakfast), location not ideal (a bit far from the action) and noisy air conditioner. We would not stay here again and would certainly not recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Try not to be too close to the pool - it can get quite noisy.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Been to Travelodge South Padre Island? Share your experiences!