“nice motel, except....” 3 of 5 stars

Super 8 South Padre Island
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   4205 Padre Boulevard, South Padre Island, TX 78597   |
“nice motel, except....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Our room was clean and the sheets were not thin but in decent condition. I like the tile floors because it feels cleaner than carpet. My only complaint and it is fairly substantial is that the toilet backed up so we couldn't use it. All the staff did was try to plunge it. It happened again the next day, they came and plunged it again. It didn't really matter since it couldn't be trusted anyway we just used the bathroom in the lobby while we were there, but still that really is unacceptable.
Don't bother with the breakfast unless you're in a hurry.....

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Kansas City
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

I had a hard time adjusting to wall-to-wall tile floors but that is to be expected on the island in case of hurricane's &/or messy beach feet. We had 3 people in our room, one king bed and there was supposed to be a hide-a-bed sofa. When my friends arrived, the sofa was broken so they asked to have it removed and brought in a roll-away for me. Neither the king mattress or roll-away mattress were good. You could feel the springs no matter how you slept. Wi-Fi was hit & miss...mostly miss. If you are a business traveler, don't depend on this to get your work done. It is possible that the concrete structure of the hotel hindered the wi-fi but I'm not really sure. One person went to talk to the manager about it and his response was "no one else has complained" ... he did nothing, offered no advice on how to make it work better. Breakfast consisted of watered down OJ, Texas shaped waffles, stale cereal (may be the extreme humidity on the island), yogurt and excellent Super 8 cinnamon rolls. As far as cleanliness goes, I'd say there was very little cleaning going on during the day. One of our travelers was there while it was being done and witnessed her taking one of our dirty towels, wrapping it around a mop and attempting to "mop" the floor. I understand not picking up our sink items to clean but it never appeared that the basin or the tub were cleaned while we were there. The tub drain was FULL of hair and caused the tub to fill with water while showering...when I cleaned some of it out, I can assure you it was not any of our traveler's hair. The shower water got really hot if you give the first shower a minute to warm up...however, the water pressure was non-existent. The sink is separate from the toilet & bathtub which makes it nice when several people are getting ready. The A/C in our room was about 3 feet from a glass brick 1/2 wall. This prevented the AC from reaching the far corner and couldn't be felt by the sink area either. Luckily, someone in our group brought a fan and it helped a lot. The employee's I encountered were all friendly. We never had to ask for extra towels, they were always well stocked. The King size "suite" had a lot of space in it. I agree with another reviewer...we got what we paid for and I will definitely pay more next time to stay in a somewhat nicer hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

we checked in on Saturday, Aug. 10 and Eric helped us. He was fantastic! Friendly, helpful, courteous and knowledgeable of the island. He helped me find a few good restauratns and a car wash so I could get all the sand out of my car. The hotel is older but the grounds were well maintained and our room was clean as well. The hotel lobby we clean and inviting and the morning breakfast was good.

The hotel is in a great location. It's about two blocks away from the beach and there's a fantastic restaurant adjacent called The Big Donkey. Don't let the name scare you....the food is fantastic and they serve a mean breakfast as well.

We WILL stay at this hotel on our next visit to Padre.

JOB WELL DONE SUPER 8!

Room Tip: Request a ground floor room on the west side of the hotel.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Northern CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

Couldn't resist the price and decided to stay at this Super 8! I tried to be open minded since my bf is very budget friendly, but I would have to say this place was just OK.

Pros: Price is great! Great variety of channels to choose from! Friendly staff! Decent breakfast selection- just to fill the tummy.

Cons: every time I was outside I saw cockroaches running around, bedsheets were rough, room smells musty, bathroom was moldy, and the room just didn't feel clean! On top of that phone and hair dryer didn't work!

Overall, motel was ok for the price. But I rather stay somewhere where I don't feel itchy all day. Plus, beware of the guests that stay here. I swear I was surrounded by honey boo boos family.

• Stayed August 2013

Been to Super 8 South Padre Island? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Super 8 South Padre Island

Address: 4205 Padre Boulevard, South Padre Island, TX 78597
Location: United States > Texas > Texas Gulf Coast > South Padre Island
Business Center with Internet Access Free Breakfast Free High Speed Internet ( Wi-Fi ) Free Parking Kitchenette Pets Allowed ( Dog / Pet Friendly ) Restaurant Shuttle Bus service Swimming Pool Wheelchair access Airport Transportation
#2 Best Value Hotel in South Padre Island
Hotel Class:2 star — Super 8 South Padre Island 2*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Booking.com, Tingo, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Odigeo, Expedia and Venere so you can book your Super 8 South Padre Island reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Super 8 South Padre Island Hotel South Padre Island
Super Eight South Padre Island
South Padre Island Super 8
South Padre Island Super Eight

If you own or manage Super 8 South Padre Island, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.