“Rude front desk girls” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Pearl South Padre

You added Pearl South Padre to your Saves list
Pearl South Padre
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   310 Padre Boulevard, South Padre Island, TX 78597 (Formerly Sheraton South Padre Island Beach Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
15% off room rate
“Rude front desk girls”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

The hotel lost our reservation. When I gave the front desk my confirmation number, they still couldn't find it. The girl at the front desk was rude to my husband and gave him attitude when he was asking simple questions. She seemed condescending and not customer service oriented. Not worth the money. Our housekeeper was friendly, but she was the only one.

• Stayed July 2013
Marisa C, Director of Sales at Pearl South Padre, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Thank you for your comments, and we apologize for your experience. I have shared this with our Front Desk Manager and Director of Rooms, and we will be revisiting our standards to ensure the best customer service possible. Thank you again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Houston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

I had stopped going here when this place was the Sheraton. We thought the Pearl as a new company would be better. The Sheraton had failed to use proper paint to control mold on the ceilings and apparently The Pearl has failed to do that as well as our room had visible mold on the ceiling. I waited for 2 hours to get a chirping smoke alarm replaced and never got it done. My wife just said it went off again the next day. Tile in our bathroom needed to be replaced and it looked moldy. The sink was was old and chipped. The beds down the hall were getting replaced down the hall but they never replaced ours even after we discovered urine stains on our mattress. We learned this when we were curious who made the bed. It just had a Made in China tag. I had called ahead to have a room on the north side that would allow my young son to see the fireworks Friday evening. I also blocked a room the morning of my stay telling them I wanted to see the fireworkds. When I checked in and went to the room I was concerned because the hotel across the way would have likely blocked our view of the fireworks I suspected. When I told the front desk this they were sure I would be able to see the fireworks. Sure enough, all we could see was a hue of fireworks around the hotel next door. Something I had gone to great lengths for my son to see from our balcony. When I informed the front desk about this after we had been disappointed they said you should have been able to see the fireworks. Same pathetic response. When I asked to see a manager. I spoke with Raul who seemed to listen but ultimately tried to say everything was subject to availability. I had made this special request to be on a side that people usually don't want to be on because they want to see the pool. Room availability was not an issue because I made this request before many people had arrived for a seminar that took up many of the rooms. I quickly reminded Raul that this was not at all a room availability issue but a management issue. These fireworks have been going on on Fridays for a long time. They should know that rooms on the east half of the building cannot see the Friday night fireworks and should not tell their staff to just give nonsense answers to guest in an attempt to placate them and send them on their way. This foolishness seems to continue out onto the pool where they hosed the sand into the pool and didn't vacuum it. Where the didn't wash pool towels until they ran out leaving long periods of time with no pool towels. These were the same type of complaints that came when this was the Sheraton. My phone would also not dial the front desk. When I told this to a butch looking maintenance worker in our hallway, she cut me off and told me I would have to tell that concern to the front desk. So I had to go down there and wait in line to do it. Their pool drink and food prices are ridiculously overpriced. I should have not thought a company name change would have changed the look and service of such an overpriced and tired hotel with awful service. Do yourself a favor and stay any place but this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
We truly apologize for the great inconvenience and experience during your stay. We have taken all of your points very seriously and will research the maintenance issues further. We have devised a care program which will maintain and detail each room on a rotation basis. This will catch all major and minor issues prior to check-in and prevent incidences such as this. Again, thank you so much for your comments. We will share with all of our department heads, and staff.
Corpus Christi, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

We had to wait half the day to check in.... no towels for the pool.... room was HORRIBLE... bathtub didn't drain..was given a double bed room when I booked a king months in advance.. and no one working there seemed happy to help anyone! checked out asap.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your response. We are working to correct the issues you have mentioned as pool towels have been purchased, and a care program is in place for preventative maintenance. I have also shared your comments with our Front Desk Manager regarding the room type. Again, thank you for your feed back!
Fort Worth, Texas, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Stayed the last week of June at Pearl, it really is showing the lack of finances since ownership change and the condo project next door (same owners) is taking all the cash. If you enjoy making three or four trips to try to get towels because they don't have enough. If you don't mind not cleaning the pool each night. If you don't mind your room being cleaned every day around four or five in the afternoon. This place is for you. Make a week trip to South Padre each year will try something different next time.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you very much for your review. I have shared your comments with our senior management staff in all areas you have mentioned. We have since purchased pool towels to ensure that everyone is able to enjoy the amenity of fresh towels when requested.

The Pearl is not affiliated with the Sapphire Condos they are privately owned and rented through various rental agencies on the Island. Our Sapphire Spa is on the ground floor of that building, which is a great location for our guests.

Again, thank you for your comments and we hope to have another opportunity to serve you.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

We rented a condo here on the 10th floor that overlooked the beach. Our bathroom sink was broken (it leaked whenever we used it). The maintenance man said he couldn't fix it, so we had to move to another condo on the 8th floor. This condo was cleaner and better maintained. Later that night we found a massive roach crawling around the floor. After these initial setbacks, the rest of the trip was fine. The service was good, and the stay was comfortable. To sum it up, this place is nice, but certain aspects are lacking. I would say the biggest problem is upkeep on the rooms themselves.

• Stayed July 2013
We truly apologize the experience during your stay. We have taken all of your points very seriously and will research the maintenance issues further. We have devised a care program which will maintain and detail each room on a rotation basis. This will catch all major and minor issues prior to check-in and prevent incidences such as this. Again, thank you so much for your comments.
West Columbia, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

I should have read the terrible reviews before staying here. It was a last minute trip and didnt have time to look at reviews. Everything that people complained about was true. Water didnt drain so I didn't take a shower. I would have felt more dirty. The hotel smelled like mildew. The room service wasn't bad. The beds were old that you sank in. The only thing good is that its on the beach and the pool was nice. We checked out at midnight and went to the resort next door.

• Stayed August 2012
Saginaw, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

We rented the presidential suite on July 2, 2013 - July 6, 2013. When we arrived we had to wait in the lobby for over an hour because they needed to get "approval" before they could rent the suite. We ended up calling maintenance about 7pm due to the AC not working in 2 of the rooms. We were informed that there was nothing they could do until the morning. 2 of our teens as well as 2 members of the other family had to pile up on both couches and sleep because the rooms were so hot. My husband and I were in the master bedroom and discovered that the only water that came out of the faucet was scalding hot. When we turned the water on cold no water at all came out. We could not even take a bath in that room so we were down to 2 bathrooms for 5 adults and 4 children. The Jacuzzi was sitting on the balcony broken. There wasn't even water in it so it had apparently been broken for some time. When we asked for towels at the pool we were told that there would not be any towels available for over an hour. On the day of the 3rd while my 14 yr old was walking back to the room she was assaulted by a drunk belligerent 21 yr old woman who was later arrested. Not one person at that hotel even went to check on our daughter after being viciously attacked by a grown woman!!!! Their only concern was to get us out of the hotel so that we could not tell other guests what happened. PLEASE BE CAUTIONED!!!! This is not the place for a family. Their guests are drunk, classless, violent criminals and your children are at risk for violence if you take them to this hotel!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Pearl South Padre? Share your experiences!