“Great location on the beach” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Pearl South Padre

You added Pearl South Padre to your Saves list
Pearl South Padre
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   310 Padre Boulevard, South Padre Island, TX 78597 (Formerly Sheraton South Padre Island Beach Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
15% Off! Book Now & Save!
Texas
“Great location on the beach”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

As someone who lives in the area, it's rare that I stay at a hotel on South Padre Island, but thanks to a business meeting held there my husband and I stayed for two nights this April. We stayed here when it was the Sheraton, and we were pleased to see that the lobby and pool areas looked like they were being maintained very well. The room wasn't too bad for an independent hotel, but two problems deserve mention.

The noise level in the rooms can be absolutely unbearable, depending on your room location. We were placed next to a room with what sounded like six children under six, and the walls provided little or no buffering against their constant yelling, crying and general carrying on. The room a/c rivaled the young hellions in noise production. When the compressor cycled on and off it sounded like the Second Coming.

The second issue was the bed. I was tempted to yank off all the bedding to try to figure out what was going on. The mattress felt like a mostly deflated air mattress with a lumpy pillow top mattress pad. It was the strangest bed I've ever attempted to sleep on. I'm writing this after two sleepless nights because of the noise and mattress, so I can't really rave about the resort. It does have a nice beachfront bar with a grill chef preparing light meals, which is a nice feature, and the pool area was quite nice. I'd love to see this turn into a hotel I could recommend, but I'm not sure they can overcome the issue of the thin walls. It's a shame. South Padre Island needs some first rate hotel properties.

Room Tip: Try asking for a room with no neighbors and a new mattress.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

My mother myself and my children checked in on March 23, 2013 and checked out the next day. We were there for my sister's wedding. In the rush to leave the next morning my daughter left her kindle fire on the bed. We did not realize this until we were 4 hours from the hotel, after stopping to verify that we definitely did not have it I called the hotel. They assured me they would look for it, but after talking to several managers and staff they could not find it. So bottom line make sure you don't leave anything of value in room, you may never get it back. The service was good while we where there but the lack of concern for my lost kindle was astounding. Surely people leave stuff in hotel rooms all the time, I wonder if the staff thinks its ok not to return it?

• Stayed March 2013
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Our family really enjoyed this resort/hotel. We did not encounter any of the issues listed by previous reviewer about bad customer service at all. In fact, we had the exact opposite experience. Everyone was super friendly (front desk, valet, service technicians, wait staff at restaurant, etc.). We had an issue with our TV and someone was up immediately and fixed it. We will most definitely book rooms at Padre Pearl for our next visit!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Austin, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I booked our 2 nights stay from their website about 2 weeks in advance. I felt like we got a pretty good deal for a family of 4 (adults in mid-30's and a 6 & 7 year old)for 2 nights on the island. A few days later the price dropped, I called the resort directly and asked if they would honor that new price and they did so w/o hesitation. I also requested an early check-in via their online "contact" page, which I received a response within 24 hours, they were going to work on honoring that request as well. Unfortunately, we didn't get on the road early enough and got into S. Padre about 2pm. Upon arrival, we pulled up to the front lobby and were greeted by a door man who advised us to park out front and then go check-in. My husband tipped the guy $5, he didn't even offer to help with our bags, even after giving him $5.00. We ended up unloading our own luggage. I am not sure why they would post door men, about 2-3 at any given time, when they don't do anything!
However, once in the lobby we had no problems checking in. The ladies at the front desk were very pleasant. One thing to mention, as it seemed to be a problem for the couple checking-in in front of us, they do make you wear wrist bands, which allows them to know who is supposed to be on the property. South Padre's beachese are open beaches, so no random's can use the facilities. It was no problem for myself or my family as we have travelled to multiple resorts around the world and have been required to wear wrist bands provided by the hotel. I think it is a great idea and keeps non-paying people off the property.
The rooms were just fine, the partial ocean view had a nice big view of the entire island, and the other side was Port Isabel and the bridge, so you got to see it all. No complaints there!
We didn't use the spa or eat on property, as we wanted to venture off of the property for meals and to sight see.
Maid service was below average. We didn't get our room cleaned after our first night until almost 4pm the next day.
The pool and beach area were the best part of the resort! They keep the beach very clean, which if you traveled to Texas coast line, gets tons of seaweed, they clean that up and the beach was a great place to spend the evening with the kids. The pool was very nice, never had a hard time finding lounge chairs, the only downfall is that there is sky rise condos that sit right in front of the pool area, so if you go in later afternoon, be sure to get a chair in the back, closest to the beach. By 3pm, the middle of the pool was already in the shade and by 4:45pm we had to move to the beach, as the entire pool was in the shade because of Sapphire Condos. Not sure why the property would allow those condos to be built there. I think we wouldn't hesitate to stay at this resort again, except for that fault. We love the sun and we love the pool, but in April, you can't really enjoy either when the sun is blocked by a huge building.
Overall, we had a pleasant stay and a great mini vacation on South Padre Island.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

My husband and I came for a week vacation last October and it was absolute perfection. The hotel was stunning, the grounds were clean and the service was impeccable! There wasn't a lot of people since it was October but it was great because beaches were empty and still 90 degrees! As soon as we arrived, it was first class service all the way, our view was absolutely beautiful. It was clean, the bed was like sleeping on a cloud and the price just couldn't be beat! We will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Jacksonville, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

My girlfriend and I came to padre for a two day stay after the spring break rush. We were staying at the Pearl because it used to be the Sheraton, and we thought highly of the Sheraton so this privately owned hotel must be great! Our expectations were never met at the hotel except for the location.
1) When we booked the hotel said we would have a beach view and the swim up bar was open. Neither was the case. They upgraded us to a room with a side view of the beach, and despite the weather people were out at the pool yet the swim up bar was not open during our stay.
2) I booked a spa appointment at Saphire and gave my name. I called to change our reservation to the day after and was told I would have to pay a cancellation fee which I was fine with but I never gave them a card nor was told about the policy. The lady told me she would write up the receptionist and cancel my appointment, but I could not reschedule. This was rude and unprofessional.
3) The weather was not picture perfect while I was there so I asked the lady at the front desk for some ideas of things to do in the area and she handed me a stack of pamphlets. No personal interaction or personal service to my situation just a general "fix it all" was given.
4) Th resturant had good food but horrible service. We dined in room, and at the resturant. (There was no menu in the room) In the morning after ordering eggs Benedict, the waiter sent another waiter to my table to ask me how I wanted my eggs prepared. Eggs Benedict has poached eggs. The staff was not knowledgeable about the menu, and robotic with no personality.
5) Valet was awful. Upon arrival no one was in sight to greet us nor ask to help us with our bags. I left my car in valet and went to check-in again where neither one of us was greeted. The valet came in half-way through check-in and asked for my keys because he needed to move my car. He told me he was hiding behind the wall because the wind was bad, and he doesn't see me pull up. That's was a horrible welcoming experience for someone to not be greeted with personal interaction. The valet also took 20 minutes to pull around our car when we left.
6) Karen the operator was the exception the rule in this case. She was helpful and personable every time we talked. She was a delight to interact with.

My girlfriend and I left one day early because of the hotel experience. The weather was a minor problem which could have easily been overlooked had our experience with the hotel been better. Not one thing went as expected during our stay and we felt there was no personal service when we had a problem. Overall we were blown away by the hotels lack of customer service and professionalism. We would have stayed had this not been the case. We are both in the hotel industry and can understand the hardships a hotel can go through after a massive spring break, however were very disappointed in the caliber or service we were provided. I have more trips planned to South Padre with family and friends this upcoming summer and will not be recommending this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

The Pearl on South Padre was a really good experience. We visited during the third week of March 2013 and the weather was changing a lot. We took a room with a pool+ocean view. None of the rooms in the hotel are completely ocean facing but they have a 45 degree view of the ocean. They have a decent entrance to the coca cola beach, and there are a few awesome heated pools. I really liked their swim-up bar near one of the heated pools. Also liked the breakfast at their restaurant.

Room Tip: Rooms which have a pool view (they also have a 45 degree view of the ocean) are pretty awesome
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Pearl South Padre? Share your experiences!