“I always enjoy this place” 4 of 5 stars

You added Isla Grand Beach Resort to your Saves list
Isla Grand Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   500 Padre Blvd, South Padre Island, TX 78597   |
Denton, Texas
“I always enjoy this place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

We make a yearly trip to Isla Grand to attend a seminar and, although it definitely has some shortcomings, I always enjoy our stay. We stayed in condos this year that were very clean and well decorated. They also were very spacious, and the view from the balcony is beautiful. Each had a full-sized kitchen, though the kitchen supplies were minimal and very basic, suited our needs. Maid service was prompt each morning and the housekeepers were very friendly and pleasant. Like many other reviewers, the sleep-number bed that was touted didn't work and was stuck in such a way that it created a hard lump down the center of the bed. Another minor disappointment was that the television in the bedroom didn't get all of the channels that the one in the living room got and my request for someone to come fix it went totally unanswered.

The grounds are really quite lovely and well maintained. Although I didn't use the pools, it looked like those that did had a lot of fun.

We ordered room service most mornings and it was great . . . good food and very quick service. My experience in the restaurant wasn't quite as good. We went on the evening they featured steaks on the menu, and we found that it didn't really matter how you ordered your steak cooked . . . they all came out the same. I suspect that the steaks were cooked ahead of time and just reheated to fill order. But the restaurant staff were very attentive and the service was good.

I couldn't really describe Isla Grand as a "luxury" resort, but it's really nice, very comfortable, and located in a great spot just over the bridge.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
Yardley, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

Location for a recent conference. A hotel badly in need of a renovation and cleaning. Very nice beach after you walk through litter and cigarette butts in the sand. Rooms were musty, dark dirty and dated but they did change the sheets and linens. The bathroom was clean but poorly lit. The sleep number bed did not work and was stuck on 90. The public area around the pool was very nice, and the public area staff was courteous and friendly. The business center was severely lacking (Office 2003? on one and no internet connection on the other) and the wireless network continuously failed and 3 calls to front desk/tech support went unanswered. I was at least able to print my boarding pass. The meeting areas were acceptable (except for the Texas sized bug that ran along one of the hospitality tables) and the a/v equipment was very good.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

Our family visited Isla Grand on S.Padre for a wedding. We were there for a long weekend Friday through Monday. Upon arrival we were greeted kindly and found a clean room. The rooms are a bit outdated, but we had received a special promotion price so I was okay with that. Overall our stay was very good. I think the resort itself if clean and well maintained but just needs some updating. The grounds are very well maintained and the servers at the restaurant are very friendly. You cannot beat the location / proximity to the beach. Our room was clean and the housekeeping staff again was friendly. I would stay here again but would not pay full price only because of the updating needed. Nice stay and nice resort.

Room Tip: We stayed on the first floor of the pool/garden suites and it was easy to come in and out to the poo...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Eden Prairie, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at Isla Grand on SPI in October of 2013. I have been in the hotel quite a few times to go to the Quarterdeck nightclub and have always wanted to stay here. I am so glad we did! We got a great Fall Getaway package and were very impressed. I loved that they had Starbucks coffee, room service, pool bar, poolside food service, nightclub, restaurant, and right on the beach.

This truly felt like a resort, everything you needed was there. We easily got taxis to go to other bars, but had enjoyed our time at the Whiskey Shack, Windjammers, and Quarterdeck. The pool area was very nice, the tiki huts always available for shade. I loved that our room was on ground level by the pool and beach. I come to the island quite a bit and Isla Grand is my preferred place to stay! Thank you! We had a very memorable time.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

Went for a weekend getaway with friends and I have no complaints just good compliments. I stayed in a cabana with garden and pool view which the view during the day and night was great. The room was very clean. Service is very prompt and helpful. Pool area is kept clean and the bar is conveniently located by the pool. Beach access is good as well as access to restaurants and banks. Rates are fair. My stay was very enjoyable. I highly recommend this hotel to family and friends. I will stay again. Thanks Isla Grand.

Room Tip: Cabanas with beach view or garden/pool view are the best.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Nottingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

Nice location right on the beach but this hotel needs more TLC. Rooms are old, with pillows and decor from the last century. Beds were hard and bedspreads of the old type, no white look as is currently the norm. Bathroom mirrors were tarnished and bathtub worn out.

The AC unit was so loud that we had to turn it off to sleep.

Room Tip: We had a "cabana room". Try to get one on the second floor as close to the sea as possible...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Rowlett, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Visited here for 5 nights in September 2013 on a girls getaway trip to South Padre Island. We stayed at Isla Grand Beach Resort and it was absolutely beautiful! We stayed in a cabana right across from the pools, yet we could see the ocean as well. The room was roomy enough for all of us and all of our stuff! The pool area was beautiful, even though they were doing some construction and working on the waterfall for one of the pools (my favorite), it didn't really bother us and we spent so many of hours out there and by the beach. The beach access was extremely nice. The hotel keeps their beach area super clean! The hotel offered everything we could have asked for. Pool side bar was open later in the afternoon but had some great drinks and was nice to have so close. The pool side grill hamburgers were great but it was only open on the weekend so we only were able to eat there once! The restaurant was reasonable and had good food! The Quarterdeck Sports Bar was where we enjoyed ourselves the most as they offered Monday night football with taco bar (which was very good) and live entertainment Tuesday thru Sunday nights. The band that was playing while we were there was called Passion and they were great! We danced and made friends, having a great time! They even had "hermit" crab races which were hilarious and fun! (Two of us won a race; Isla Grand bucks to spend!)

All the staff was wonderful! Everyone was nice and friendly and you could tell they enjoyed being there. We were all impressed by the security staff they had too, always felt secure and safe.
While we were there we checked out some other hotels and we found they either had small pool areas or they had a long haul to the beach plus the vegetation and seaweed going on in front of the other hotels was NOT evident at the Isla Grand! While we were there they were upgrading their internet access. Never had a problem, in our room, out by the pool or in the restaurants.

We will definitely be back and I highly recommend Isla Grand to anyone looking for that perfect place to stay, play, rest or eat. SPI beaches were beautiful, I was pleasantly surprised and because it is quick trip from Dallas, I will be back and the only place I will be staying is here!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Isla Grand Beach Resort? Share your experiences!