“Cheap tacky 1970s beach hotel with Ritz room rates” 3 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Resort   |   500 Padre Blvd, South Padre Island, TX 78597   |
Special Offer
Stay and Play Package
Houston, Texas
“Cheap tacky 1970s beach hotel with Ritz room rates”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

If I paid $150 for the room I probably would have been satisfied with this stay, but this place was a horrifying $270/night. Having stayed in some excellent hotels world wide at far more fabulous destinations for prices like $300/night, this is no comparison. The rooms look like Florida in the 1980s, compete with a rickety rusty sliding glass door and green carpet and a scratchy palm tree covered blanket. The pool area was as lovely as the pictures, but the pictures do not include the fog of cigarette smoke, this is the redneck Rivera after all, but how hard would it have been to declare one section of chairs non smoking? (Not even commenting on the flood of children, I guess I should be tolerant of the family resort nature of south padre, but my kindle was soaked by multiple mis aimed water guns). Also the shower between the beach and the pool is non functional and has clearly been non functional for a long time, so by midday the pool has overcome whatever heroic overnight cleaning efforts to become a fog of sand and dirt. The beach was lovely and close to the hotel, but they charge $30 for two chairs and an umbrella. One chair in Fort Lauderdale beach has the going rate of $5/chair why should it be more in south padre? Second for $270/night, the hotel should be providing chairs gratis, and while they are at it cabana boys running drink orders from the beach to the bar (that also didn't exist). Also the beach between the resort and water was litered with cigarette buts and bottle tops so you didn't even feel comfortable walking barefoot.

The hotel treated its guest like criminals rather than people who can afford a $300/night hotel room. This included a weird anount of security roaming the hotel grounds, strict check in at 3 pm check out at 11 am (they didn't even call housecleaning to see if a room was clean to check in when we arrived at 2 pm and seemed put out when we asked if there was a place we could change to our swimsuits and go swimming while we waited for a 3 pm check in). my favorite is the $20 fee on borrowed beach towels to ensure you return them. I've stayed in cheaper and nicer places at Disney world and Fort Lauderdale, it's the height of ego that these guys think they can get away with this room rate.

• Stayed June 2013

395 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

On my stay at the Isla Grand Beach Resort on June 2, 2013 - June 5, 2013 it was really great place. I made a good choice to stay there for my honeymoon. My wife loved it. As a matter fact i am alreadt talking to my wife of going back in August or next year. The Isla Grand employees are nice and friendly. I was checked in by Luis Martinez he was nice and helped me answered all the questions i had. I was amazed that the Isla Grand also has activities for the kids so no matter how the weather is your kids will not be bored. If u are planning to visit South Padre Island the place to stay is the Isla Grand Beach Resort!!!!

• Stayed June 2013
Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Anyone who says a Texas Beach vacation isn't worth anything is crazy. I have been fortunate to have been around the world, throughout Mexico and the Caribbean. The entire trip my boyfriend and I kept having to remind ourselves that we were still in Texas. This is a great hotel for a reasonable with wonderful service! We will definitely re-visit this hotel in the future!

• Stayed May 2013
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

The lobby itself was nice- but the beds in the rooms were uncomfortable. I had left some items behind and called the same night to retrieve them. No one would help and I called for 4 days and the manager was not helpful at all and just told me to file a police report. I have never had a problem in the past collecting any items I left until now. Will never stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Houston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

I stayed at the Isla Grand for a conference but could easily see the whole family spending a long weekend here. The resort has everything you need: coffee shop serving Starbucks, restaurant, bar, two large pools, tennis courts, and easy beach access.

There are two types of rooms: full size condos in the tower and standard hotel rooms in the cabanas. While the tower offers a better Gulf view, the cabanas are closer to the pool and the beach. Both are spacious. I know how hard it is to keep beachfront rooms clean, with all that sand. But my cabana room was spotless. Kudos to the housekeeping staff.

The groundskeepers also need some recognition. The pools were clean with plenty of lounge chairs available. The lawns were perfectly manicured. Just beautiful, really.

The size of the resort gives you (and your kids!) plenty of space to roam. You'll have no trouble finding the action or a quiet spot, be it the pool bar or one of the hammocks near the beach.

Stayed April 2013
Balmorhea, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

We stayed in a condo unit on the 11 th floor. Wonderful view of the pools (2), shuffleboard, tennis courts, volleyball courts and beach. All appliances worked well, limited cooking equipment. Very well maintained pool and beach area. Rooms could use minor repairs and updating. Staff was friendly and helpful. check out beach towels at the front desk. Maids ran out of towels, get yours early-it was very busy.

• Stayed May 2013
Meadows Place, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

We played in an USAV girls junior volleyball tournament and the Isla Grand was the host hotel. We had a great stay right on the beach and the staff was very friendly and helpful with our stay. My family had a 2 bedroom condo with a great view from the 7th floor. They gave us a late check out with no charge which was helpful and let us enjoy a little more of South Padres charm, the beach! The condo had full kitchen and sleeps 6. We will stay there again when we go back.

Room Tip: Higher the condo the better the view and quieter.