“An OK hotel but wouldn't go there for a beach vacation” 3 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Resort   |   500 Padre Blvd, South Padre Island, TX 78597   |
Special Offer
30% OFF-- Flexible Dates
Moscow, Russia
“An OK hotel but wouldn't go there for a beach vacation”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

I stayed at Isla Grand for 4 nights, having come there for a conference which I couldn’t attend as I came down with a very bad cold. Overall, it was not too bad. I stayed at a cabana room overlooking the pool and both the room and the shower were clean, comfortable, spacious and nicely decorated. The staff were polite and some of them very helpful. There is a Macdonald’s and some cafes within a 5-minute walk from the hotel… but there are a few things to bear in mind if you are planning to stay there:
1) Zero soundproofing between cabana rooms – I could hear how the people in the adjacent room sneezed and closed there curtains (and of course, watched TV). As I said, I was having a very bad cold at that time and I feel very sorry for the guys who had to hear me coughing at night.
2) Unscrupulous employees. Be very careful about your money and your belongings. I left my Sony reader at a lobby coffee table in the evening - never got it back. Informed the reception – no reaction. Also, when I ordered breakfast to the room, I gave the server a generous tip in cash; at checking out I saw that she added another, unauthorized tip to the check I gave her for the breakfast cost. Some of their housekeeping staff behave in a strange way: one time I left an almost-full jar of honey on the table in my room. While I was out, a cleaner came, took that honey and put it on her trolley; luckily, I came back in time and saw it (this could have been an honest mistake, but who in their right senses may assume that a guest does not need a full jar of honey and wants it to be discarded?). Generally speaking, it’s a place where you have to be alert all the time and realize that some of the staff will not hesitate to steal something from you or to cheat you.
3) Dirty beach area. And rather ugly high-rise properties in the background all around. If I was planning to stay at South Padre I would choose a location somewhere more to the north as the surroundings look nicer there.
4) No microwave or coffee/tea maker in the room - this was a bummer, especially for the price they charge. The restaurant closes at 9 and after that there is no opportunity to get a hot drink. This was particularly hard for me as I constantly needed hot tea because of my cold, even more so at night.
5) Not very knowledgeable reception staff – misinformed me about the restaurant opening hours and also said that the restaurant serves complementary coffee, which was not true.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
islagrand, General Manager at Isla Grand Beach Resort, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
I want to first thank you for taking the time to inform us of your stay. Your neighbors may have had their door opened since you were staying in a room with connecting door. We will be looking into that matter as well. We do have a lost and found on our property for items that are found or turned in. When you ordered room service I understand your concern was an additional tip. All room services have an automatic 18% gratuity added to the check. When you left them an "additional" gratuity then your folio will show two gratuities upon check out. We will be more than glad to make any adjustment you need. Our front desk staff did inform you correctly regarding complimentary coffee in the Windjammer's Restaurant. We provide Complimentary Coffee "in" the restaurant in the mornings. (does not include room service though). We hope that on your next trip to South Padre Island, you decide to stay with us again. Thank you again for your comments and we look forward on servicing you in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Brunswick
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

Drove to South Padre on 10-15-12. Had read reviews before we arrived and thought we would try the Isla. Sounded good. Grounds beautiful. Fortunately we asked to see rooms the before we made decision. Desk clerk was nice and had guard show us 4 different ones. We decided not to stay because the smell was overwelming in all. Whether it is cleaning fluid or some type of air freshner. It was bad. Rooms looked old. Not at all what they should be for the price. They were not the condos, maybe they are different. On the way to the last one when the guard was walking with us some type of very large fast rodent ran by. That did it. We stayed at the Hilton. It was great.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to inform us of your experience. We have looked into the animal you had seen and it was a cat. Local code enforcement has been contacted as well as the local animal humane society to address the cat situation. We hope to service you in the future and we apologize for your encounter.
kerrville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We stayed a week in August last year and loved it, and went back this year same time it was even better. The whole staff was great, thanks to Bill,David,Agustin, Rick,and Louie the Whiskey Shack bar cat. The room was great, clean and comfortable. The food and entertain mentment was excellent. Thanks , we'll see you next summer.

Charlie H

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you again for your comments. We are glad you enjoyed your stay AGAIN. We look forward on seeing you soon. Happy Holidays.
Dallas, Texas, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

Last week we spent 3 nights at Isla Grand. We've stayed there many times before (as Radisson and also as Isla Grand). The bars and food are good, the staff is nice and it's right on the beach. But....while enjoying a cup of coffee in bed...a ROACH crawled up my arm!!! I could not believe it...roaches in the bed! When we told the front desk of the problem, instead of trying to make it better or promise to fix the problem, they handed us a tripadvisor "How was your visit?" card and asked me to review our trip. Well, with all the other great choices of lodging on S. Padre - Isla Grand will not be our choice in the future. Stay at your own risk!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking your time in informing us of your incident you encountered at our property. We have Ecolab as our pest control company and they have been notified as to your situation. Again we want to apologize for your experience and hope you give us a second chance in servicing you in the near future.
Spring, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

Hands down Isla Grand is the best resort/hotel on SPI. Great beachfront location, fabulous pool and pool side bar, great on-site restaurant (ask for David - he's our favorite manager), on-site bar with large TV's and great music for dancing! Great for family and adult only getaways! We always look forward to the annual Redfish Rodeo ladies only fishing tournament headquartered at the Isla Grand. I'm one that normally loves going "off-campus" however you really dont need to when you have everything right there!. Book your next stay in SPI at Isla Grand, and you wont regret it!

Room Tip: We prefer pool side rooms!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

We went to the Isla Grand as part of a convention, and then stayed for a few extra days just the two of us. For SPI, this is a really nice place to stay. Beautiful beach, beautiful pools with the bar right there, convenient central location, relaxing vibe, great dance band in the bar, reasonable drink prices . . . . for a Texas resort, this is my kind of place.

However, do not think of this as a Four Seasons type of resort. It was built in the 70s probably, and looks it. Nothing is in tip-top shape, but nothing's that bad either. And it's clean and well-kept.

There are two sections: motel-like rooms and condos. We stayed in one of the second story rooms with a balcony that faced the ocean (248). The view was absolutely gorgeous head on. However, laying in the bed, you couldn't see the ocean and were looking at other people's balconies. Why the bed isn't on the other wall is a mystery.

As one of the other reviewers noted, bed was a Sleep Number, but our controller didn't work, and we didn't worry about it too much. Also the sink stopper didn't close and the toilet is practically in the bathtub. And lots of people complained that there were no coffee pots in the rooms. Whatever. None of that seemed to impinge on just how nice it was to be there. And we did have a good size safe and an empty, working fridge - both of which I think are more important than the other things!

The pools (as you can see from the pics) are just lovely. Lots of room, lots of sun, plenty of chairs (a little run down, but fine), and some nice umbrellas for those of us who need some shade.

The beach is a vast stretch of white with bluer water and bigger waves than I've seen anywhere else in Texas. No water shoes necessary here! However, if you want a beach chair, that's $10, and I don't know how much they charge for umbrellas. But there were a couple of Enforcers there making sure you didn't just take advantage of using them free! I didn't find out whether the chairs and umbrellas were associated with the Isla Grand, or were just somebody's concession along the beach. Just factor in that if lounging on the beach is in your trip description, you've got to pay to play.

All in all, I really thought it was great. I like to tell people who read my reviews the bad along with the good because what's not a big deal to me might be very important to somebody else. The crowd was everybody from the DAs at the convention, to a wedding party for a couple of forty-somethings, to a few families with kids, to some very athletic-looking couples, to some seriously redneck folks, and middle-class Mexican nationals there on vacation.

Quiet, pleasant, friendly, clean, big pool . . . I was definitely very happy for a week.

Room Tip: 1st floor rooms have chairs out front and face the pool - so if you want privacy, don't be on th...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
San Antonio, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Recently stayed in the condos. Rooms 501 and 504. Both have a good view of the pool and beach area, however 501 had ants all over the kitchen, and 504 is dated and the carpet looks like it should have been replaced 10 years ago. There was sand on the bed and on counter tops at check in (i understand its on the beach but come on). Master bedroom has sleep number beds, but secondary bedroom suitable for kids only (not very comfortable) Pool area and beach are nice (good location). Staff is friendly. If your biggest concern is location this would be a good fit, just don't expect a 4 or 5 star resort.....does have a pretty active night club "Quarter Deck" with a live band.....fun!

Room Tip: Skip 504 until there is some updating done.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Been to Isla Grand Beach Resort? Share your experiences!