“pleasant” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 33 Hotels in South Padre Island
Houston, Texas
“pleasant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

Stayed at comfort suites during off-season trip to South Padre Island. Excellent. Upscale, comfortable hotel with hot breakfast, swimming pool, excellent location, and price was reasonable. The hotel manager and staff were very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Houston, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

My family and i recently had the pleasure (and best luck ever) to stay at this establishment recently. We have quite a bit of traveling experiences and are always looking for a good value and I have to say that this was, hands down, the best value of all. We were greeted as if the staff were exclusively catering to us and they were consistent with expressing their hospitality. The room was spotless and the staff was eager to make sure we had all that we wanted and needed. I've stayed at many hotels and can honestly say that the feel of this establishment was equivalent to a higher end resort while still offering exceptional value. I'm an extremely finicky person and have been known to "complain" (who wouldn't when you're a clean person that is careful with money), but I couldn't find a single thing wrong with this establishment. It goes without saying that the staff at this location is very happy as it shines through the way they treat their guest as VIP's. I will defiantly be back again and again. :)

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
San Antonio, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

I've stayed at multiple Comfort Suites across the states and have always enjoyed my experiences there..usually it's a great price for a comfortable stay. This time my friend made a reservation (keep in mind I was present for these phone conversations I mention) and even though our technical check in time was noon on a Sunday we had specifically asked if we could check in at around 1 AM BEFORE the noon of our check in time, and were told absolutely yes and our room would be ready. We show up.. tired because we drove five hours, and the woman at the front desk showed us some of the worst service I've ever seen. I want to say her name was Tillie.

I travel a lot, make my money of customer service and I was absolutely appalled.

She told us she had nothing for us, and we'd have to wait 11 hours to check in. When we explained (super nicely...you Usually catch more flies with honey than vinegar has been my experience) what we had been told, she literally laughed in our faces and continued to say she had nothing..didn't apologize for the confusion and didn't take us seriously at all. In the middle of this, two people walked into the Suites' store and she stopped talking to us and walked to the side to take care of them without asking if we could wait or saying anything..and literally ignored a question my friend who made the reservation asked, to talk to these two girls. As anyone could imagine, I was pretty livid.

I'm the first one to ask to speak to a manager to spread how grateful I am for good service so I was shocked at her attitude. We canceled our reservation and said we wanted our money back, she told us that was fine, and yes we could get our money back, and then we left and found somewhere else to stay right after this.

I personally called back to speak to the manager, the woman answered and when I asked for the manager, she said "is this the party who was just here to check in before noon?" I replied, "Does it really matter who I am?" She laughed AGAIN and said she guessed not before giving e phone to the manager. I explained the entire situation... Explained that I knew it wasn't the manager's fault but that I was very disappointed. She said she would find out what happened that usually we couldn't get our money back, but that she would call my friend back the next day. She never called back.

Service failure number 2.

Then my friend saw a refund of the deposit..but was charged AGAIN the next day!!! He never did get his money back or a phone call.

Needless to say, I won't be returning to that Comfort Suites ever again, will tell everyone I know about it and am sadly hesitant to return to a CS in general now for fear their service has just declined. I recently used this example in a service training seminar as an example of poor customer experience as a learning lesson for my class. Since they don't seem to be interested in retrieving four different potential customers, I will definitely continue to share this experience..right alongside my recommendations for the places that HAVE taken care of me and mine.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Arlington Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

The web site says it has great beach access and it does but you have to go through the parking lot and its a little bit of a walk. The front staff is super friendly and breakfast was nice as well. The only problem is it seems kinda dirty. There does not seem to be the attention to detail that other Comfort Suites has. Compared to other hotels on the island it has a good price point, friendly staff, close to shopping and comfy beds. They can't really change how you would get to the beach and the access is better then some hotels but would have liked to have a cleaner atmosphere. I would stay here again if I was looking for a bargain in this area.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013 via mobile

I enjoyed room the staff was every informative gave me lots of local info. Shops close by the place was clean . My family and I will be going back . This place was a good choice I recommended it to friends who want good service with a friendly smile two thumb's up....

• Stayed August 2013
McAllen, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

i missed the reservation deadline by 1 day due to finding out it would be raining all Weekend and my whole point in reserving this hotel was to enjoy the beach and sun. nobody would help me in cancelling. i called corporate and they said it was up to the hotel itself to accept or decline my cancellation without penalty. guess what? they want to take my money, and enjoy my misery. i can either lose my money by not going, or go to the hotel and be pissed off. either way will suck. so thank you so much for your hospitality. see you Saturday.

• Stayed September 2013
Little Rock, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

Everyone was helpful, the breakfast good and it did have a private path to the beach. The room was large and clean . We only stayed one night but would come back . The beach area was clean and uncrowded but that may be cause it was the end of august.

• Stayed August 2013

Been to Comfort Suites? Share your experiences!