“Very, very disappointed!” 1 of 5 stars

+1 956-389-8888
Website
Improve this listing
More attraction details
Owner description: A resort spa that provides massage, facial, nail and body therapy treatments. We have a 9 treatment room facility, making us the largest and nicest spa facility in South Padre Island. We cater to our resort guest, condo owners and all visitors of South Padre Island.
Dallas, Texas
“Very, very disappointed!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

This is a classic case of looks (and pictures) can be deceiving. I LOVE spas - you can say it's pretty much "my thing" - so I feel confident in telling you to save your $. While the entry into the Sapphine Condos (where the spa is located) is hopeful, and even the reception area at the Sapphine Spa is inviting - that's where all the aesthic elements of a nice spa end. The locker room is very outdated, the robes and slippers (at least the ones I received) were tattered and over bleached (was happy they were clean, but these really needed to be replaced), and the massage therapist (while nice) could use a new uniform (it was a mess) and a little more technique training. It really was a little bit better than if my husband rubbed my back for me. But the element that really ruined the entire experience for me was how clinical the massage room itself was. Think - modified doctor's office, minus the stirrups. Seriously, it was that bad - lighting was flourescent combined with outdoor sunshine lighting coming through window blinds (I cannot make this up), there were plywood cabinets, laminet tile floor, sterile walls and music that was on a loop (after hearing the same melody literally 6 times - I politely asked if we could put the playlist on random vs repeat). I will never visit this office again and would strongly suggest other spa-enthusiast explore other options on the island prior to booking. Do not get lured in by the prices - this truly is a case of getting what you paid for and then wishing you had just spent $20 more. I hope this helps someone.

Visited July 2012
SpaDirector_12, Manager at Sapphire Spa, responded to this review, August 9, 2012
I thank you for voicing your concerns about your experience at the Sapphire Spa. The staff members and I work as hard as possible to guarantee that our guest have an enjoyable experience while at this spa. There are multiple issues that you bring to the table, the aesthetics of the spa being a major issue for you. The spa is in a transitional phase of upgrades and updates as our management company changed recently and the main focus was on the hotel next door. The spa is now in focus to get the attention it needs. As our high season comes to end, there are many projects in the works that will be completed including: updating our lockers, room décor, lighting, linen replacements and many additional touches. Our spa is built with quality materials, the cabinetry is not plywood, and the spa’s treatment room floors are cork tiling with granite tiling throughout the common areas. I do want to touch base on the quality of the massage you received, although you were not happy with the touch of the therapist, all the therapist at the Sapphire have a steady, repeat customer base that do enjoy the quality of their massages. Massage is more than a science but an art that comes from the depths of each therapist. What one person considers a bad massage may be the perfect massage to someone else. Every massage therapist touch and techniques are different and encouraged to be so. The music was human error, the stereo system has 6 CD’s that are usually played on random and shuffle. Somehow it was bumped and unfortunately was only repeating one song, and we apologize for the inconvenience. Often times it is best to voice your concerns while you are at the spa as many of these items could have been address immediately. We hope you reconsider coming back to our spa the next time you are in South Padre Island as there will be many changes being made to the facility over the coming months.

Hornell, New York
32 attraction reviews
“Nice spa”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012

We are staying at the Sapphire so it is very convenient. Average prices for a spa. Nice atmosphere and good service.

Visited January 2012